Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

MTB Shorts v. Shorts Liner

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 11-22-19, 08:02 AM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts

As a former roadie I have been using my Lycra bibs for all my riding but would like to get some more normal looking shorts. I wear my shorts next to skin so I wash them after every ride and it seems to me it might be more efficient to get liners and wear them with regular, non biking shorts and just wash the liner every time, rather than getting MTB shorts and washing them so much. Never having tried them I am just guessing.

What are the pros and cons of using MTB shorts vs. MTB liner with regular shorts?
Old 11-22-19, 08:45 AM
PickleRick

Bikes: Felt Z4, Trek Remedy 9.8, Pivot 429SL Di2, Salsa Warbird Di2

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
For mountain biking, I use Pearl Izumi Men's Liner Shorts and then buy cheapo cargo shorts from Target or WallyWorld or TJ Maxx. This has been the perfect solution for me.

I like this system so much that I even started using the liners and cargo shorts on my road and gravel bike rides.
I am a firm believer that one can never have too many pockets for storing snacks, spare tubes etc. .....and cargo shorts are perfect for carrying, well, cargo.

I do have two or three pairs of (expensive) mountain bike specific shorts....but they are sitting on the floor of my closet collecting dust. I have found they generally have too few pockets and are usually far too baggy for my needs.
FWIW
Likes For PickleRick:
Old 11-22-19, 09:24 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
don't over think it, use your cheaper road shorts as a liner. Chamois quality less important IMO for mtb. I actually don't like cargo shorts as they are typically too thick and bulky. Though I've found lightweight hiking/fishing shorts fit better for me when riding. Regular cargo shorts tend to larger leg "holes" which get in the way or maybe it's just my stick legs.... Like PickleRick mentioned, I'm never buying any other pair of mtb shorts with the built in liners.
Old 11-22-19, 09:06 PM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts
I got some Baleaf shorts on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Baleaf-Padded...477571&sr=8-32

I use those under cargo shorts or when its colder under Adidas sweats/tights. I like the pockets on the cargo pants and the Adidas pants have zippered pockets.

I like this combo so much I am thinking of getting a bib by the same company. I have used it alot and washed them alot and they are still holding up very well.
Old 11-22-19, 09:49 PM
spinconn

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Thank you guys, that's what I needed to know.
Old 11-23-19, 07:05 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
I don’t like regular shorts getting snagged on the saddle.
Old 11-24-19, 12:04 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
When I'm not racing or training in a spandex race kit, I like baggies from Troy Lee Designs. They sell them with a liner or as a shell. I bought just the shell only and wear lycra shorts or bibs under. I like the former for mtb just out of convenience and while my bibs are more comfy, my mtb rides aren't as long as my road ones. I have 4 pairs of lycra shorts and wash each after every ride, but don't bother washing the shell unless it was a super dirty ride, just washing it after 2-3 rides. TLD and other brands of dedicated mtb baggies are cut differently than street shorts so they don't catch the saddle as you move around.
Old 11-24-19, 08:41 PM
roadbuzz
Just ride.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like Zoic shorts and liners, but road shorts or bibs work fine as liners. I like the outer shorts for pockets and protection from briars, etc. The nylon is light and dries well, however their nylon zippers don't hold up well. FWIW, the purpose built liners are thinner and a bit cooler, because they aren't designed as outerware. $0.02.
Old 11-25-19, 01:57 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
fwiw - I use thin lined tri-shorts under, unlined, Zoic MTB shorts. I would not call them "baggy" but I guess they are. I only wash the trishorts

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-25-19 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-27-19, 07:21 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
I ride with regular road shorts sometimes, and regular mtb shorts other times. And I ride with compression wicking underwear under whatever fast drying shorts (Columbia zip off PFGs, or virtually any other shorts. Padding is superfluous.
Old 12-22-19, 07:39 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
I ride in my worn out road shorts with a pair of gym shorts over them.