Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Hitch rack recommendations for recumbent trike

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19, 10:12 AM
jbithaca

Bikes: Fuji Jari Carbon 1.1, Honey Winterando (made by Seven), Litespeed Arenberg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My wife owns an HP Velotechnik Gekko 26. She has MS and has some balance and strength issues. Her car is a Honda Fit. She has a problem getting the folded trike in and out of the car, so does not ride as much on her own as she would like.

I am looking for recommendations of trike racks which would fit on a hitch as I feel this would be the best solution, as she would not have to lift it up very far. Your experiences, both positive and negative of one's that you own or have used would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Jim
Old 07-29-19, 01:38 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
We have owned a Davert hitch rack for a tricycle for several years. No bells or whistles, but it only cost $330.00. We ordered it from Hostel Shoppe but I'm not sure if they are even made anymore.

It holds the trike nicely but Mrs. Grouch has difficulty lifting her trike onto the rack by herself. Generally if she is going someplace by herself I load it onto the rack at home and she finds a helpful person to lift her trike onto the rack before coming home.
Old 07-30-19, 03:44 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Hitchrider.com

we have a Hitchrider rack, from California, and it’s well built and well designed. Rose City Recumbents in Portland recommended them. Shipping on their racks is free.