Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

EZ-Tri Classic OR the Eco Delta 3 SX?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 05:09 PM
kskev

Bikes: Still looking on the perfect Delta Trike!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone.....
Well, went to test ride some trikes today.
With the budget I'm looking at I think of going with either a:

SunSeeker Eco Delta 3 SX Recumbent Trike
OR
Sun EZ-Tri Classic SX Delta Trike.

The guy at the shop had the ECO Delta for me to ride.... it was a 7 speed, and the seat was not like the Gel filled kind like on the Tri-Classic (think I would prefer the gel seat) AND the TRI-Classic was 21 speed!
The Eco Delta rode great, enjoyed the ride.... thought that this will be a good fit!
Now, after reading some of the posts here about the "Sun" EZ Trikes and having problems with the back axle and other misc stuff and some saying NOT to buy the POS..... these post was back in 2005-06, my Question is, has any of the problems been fixed so it can be a more reliable trike?
Also the guy at the shop said he can order me the Tri-Classic (which is a step up) and he would let me have it for the same price as the Eco Delta 3 SX that was on his showroom floor!!!
SO, anybody know? Has anybody purchased the Tri-Classic and if yes, how is it doing for you?
Thanks in advance for any info and will be Greatly Appreciated!!!

Last edited by kskev; 09-14-16 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-16-16, 09:13 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Get used to the idea that EVERY entry level trike is a combination of compromises in order to keep the price where people will not react in horror or disbelief (as they sometimes do when I explain that my Catrike 700 costs $3K). The ECO delta with the 7 speed drive train lists for $900 + shipping on the Utah Trikes website Utah Trikes - SunSeeker Eco Delta 3 SX Recumbent Trike. Just going to 10 speeds adds $400 more. It's a 57 pound trike which means it could be trouble if you intend to ride it in an area that is not flat. I certainly would not want a 57 pound trike with only 7 choices for gearing.

The EZ-3 weighs 56 pounds and costs $1199 + shipping Utah Trikes - Sun EZ-Tri Classic SX Delta Trike. Considering it has 21 speeds, it is probably the better of the two. I used to come across a guy who rode his EZ-3 on a 15 mile route each day for exercise. Haven't seen him in a while but he was pretty satisfied with the trike. You could go to the Bentrideronline message board and ask for opinions there. BentRider Online Forums - Powered by vBulletin The Sun trikes show up frequently on our local CL. There is a used one on or local CL but the used Catrike Road that is also there is a much better trike. Unless it is very old, it actually is 27 speeds and closer to 36 pounds.
Sun EZ-3 USX HD Trike with electric conversion (Ridekick) - $1600 (Las Vegas)
Recumbent trike - $1000 (Centennial Hills) Catrike road, 21 speed, disk brakes
Old 09-17-16, 06:11 AM
kskev

Bikes: Still looking on the perfect Delta Trike!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks VegasTriker for your info......
I did find another shop in the area that did have the Tri-Classic and was able to take it for a spin! I was very, very pleased with extra gears! So, Yes the Tri-Classic is the better of the two!
So, went back to the 1st shop and had him order me the Tri-Classic since he spent A LOT of time with me showing the in's and out's of deltas and other possible trikes.... sold it for the same price as the Eco delta he had!
I always think it's good to get a local relationship going for future possible problems or warranty and keeping local shops in the community!
This is my 1st entry level delta and I know after a period of time an upgrade will be coming, and will enjoy this lifestyle even more!
Old 08-29-19, 10:12 AM
dalz102

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this post is old...how are you doing on the Tri-Classic? I bought an EZ3AX for my spouse a few years ago, and she loves it!! 27speeds, 3 discs, hard to fall over...now if I could get it to 35# she'd probably be ecstatic.
Old 08-30-19, 10:49 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by dalz102
I know this post is old...how are you doing on the Tri-Classic? I bought an EZ3AX for my spouse a few years ago, and she loves it!! 27speeds, 3 discs, hard to fall over...now if I could get it to 35# she'd probably be ecstatic.
Here's how you get your wifes Sun to 35# (and all the that will come your way as a result): buy a Greenspeed Anura used on Craigslist and sell the Sun (also on CL) for whatever it will fetch. A friend of mine ignored my advice and bought the Sun because it was cheaper. She had to sell it immediately because she couldn't even get out of her driveway with it. Your DW is clearly in better shape, but even so, the Anura is a superior machine in every way that matters. FWIW.