Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Thinking of buying a Rockhopper

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 10-03-19, 08:53 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts

I’m 68 , down to around 280 and enjoy riding around the neighborhood and to our small town and back . A lot of this is done on Cruisers and old rigid mountain bikes .

Looking for something different to add to my riding enjoyment.

Running along the road near my house is a public grassy area from 3-12 foot wide with a hill or two , that almost makes a loop of about 3/4 mile with an old road on one end that goes through some woods that would complete the loop .

Im thinking this might be fun to breakup my normal riding routine . Also there’s a power line and a gas line nearby .
This morning I rode half the loop on my Specialized Roll , but I’m thinking I need a front suspension to help my hands with the bumps . And the lower gearing to help with the hills .
I plan on making a trip to the bike shop today .
Would also like to check out some novice trails if I buy a Rockhopper .
Am I too old and overweight to start mountain biking ?
Old 10-03-19, 01:48 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
I’m 68 , down to around 280 and enjoy riding around the neighborhood and to our small town and back . A lot of this is done on Cruisers and old rigid mountain bikes .

Looking for something different to add to my riding enjoyment.

Running along the road near my house is a public grassy area from 3-12 foot wide with a hill or two , that almost makes a loop of about 3/4 mile with an old road on one end that goes through some woods that would complete the loop .

Im thinking this might be fun to breakup my normal riding routine . Also there’s a power line and a gas line nearby .
This morning I rode half the loop on my Specialized Roll , but I’m thinking I need a front suspension to help my hands with the bumps . And the lower gearing to help with the hills .
I plan on making a trip to the bike shop today .
Would also like to check out some novice trails if I buy a Rockhopper .
Am I too old and overweight to start mountain biking ?
No, you aren't too old or even too overweight to start mountain biking. I would probably suggest a little bit better bike then the bottom of the line Rockhopper...the Rockhopper Comp is only slightly more expensive right now and it's a better bike...but you aren't too old to start riding one. It's unlikely that you'll be doing any Red Bull Challenges but you can still have fun. I've know lots of geezers who are kickass mountain bikers who started later in life. One was a smoker for 40 years but was a hell of a mountain bike rider. He even had a major crash...a yard sale...when he was over 90. He died when he was 98 and was still riding like a maniac up to a few weeks before he died.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-03-19, 02:00 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Thank for the reply . I looked at the Comp X1 and besides being a 1X9 instead of a 2X8 , and a little better fork , I didn’t see $200 difference between them .
I liked the gearing of the 2X8 .. I read a review of the Comp and the only con was the guy wished it had a lower gear for hills .
I think the 2X8 will do me good for what I have planned . Building my own loop near my house.
And I just found out theirs a novice 4.5 trail just 15-20 minutes away .
I wished the bike shop had one in stock so I could at least see one , but it being a 2020 model and they do a more Giant business according to the guy I spoke with .
Anyway it’s ordered and paid for . I should have it in 7-10 days .
worst case , if I don’t like the dirt , I can swap out the tires and ride it on paths .