Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bar tape tape

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bar tape tape

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-19, 07:17 PM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
I've done it all; electrical tape, heat shrink, inner tube. All have advantages and disadvantages, the inner tube is re-usable, heat shrink the neatest, e tape cheap and easy.

Now I'm using self-fusing silicone tape. Best of all worlds, except for cost which is still pretty reasonable.
Old 11-07-19, 07:07 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronsonic
I've done it all; electrical tape, heat shrink, inner tube. All have advantages and disadvantages, the inner tube is re-usable, heat shrink the neatest, e tape cheap and easy.

Now I'm using self-fusing silicone tape. Best of all worlds, except for cost which is still pretty reasonable.
Same here and the same conclusion, I now have black, red, blue and white.
Old 11-07-19, 08:43 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
As I mentioned in my posting above, I tried that tape and found when I rode with my hands on the bar tops I would catch the edges which tended to curl up and slip even if the tape were pulled as tight as it would tolerate. I suppose it works if you only ride the hoods or the drops.
The only issue I've had with silicone fusing tape is if the tape is dirty. It can't fuse if there is something keeping it from adhering to itself. I've never had it slip or curl and I ride with my hands all over the bars. The fusion tape on this bike has been there for about 5 years and about 8000 miles.

DSCN2007 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

The bar tape itself is amazingly durable.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-07-19, 08:51 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I re-wrapped my handlebar this weekend, and didn't finish it with electrical tape -- a first!

After previous wrappings, I'd use the tape included in most bar tape boxes, and then to make sure it held, give it a wrap or two of electrical tape. This time, I forgot where I'd put the electrical tape. What was in the box was long enough to make almost two wraps, more than I remember from previous wrappings. It's held for two whole days now.

What's other people's experience with the tape-that-comes-in-the-box? How well does it hold, is it really long enough, and does it hold on its own?
I've tried to use the finishing tape that comes with the handlebar tape but never found the results to be satisfactory. The provided finishing tape tends to be too stiff and inelastic so it doesn't stretch and provide a smooth finish...i.e. it wrinkles. And, as Red Green says, "nothing shows lack of workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape".
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-07-19, 09:07 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts

This is the tape that comes with SupaCaz. Whatever it is, it’s far better than electrical tape.
Old 11-07-19, 09:38 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,498 Posts
use both,

use 2 wraps of fiberglass filament 1" tape & logo finishing (fizik) over it.also 1 wrap under to secure the brake cables.
Old 11-07-19, 10:22 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs

use 2 wraps of fiberglass filament 1" tape & logo finishing (fizik) over it.also 1 wrap under to secure the brake cables.

Yuck. That stuff is a guaranteed mess down the road.
Old 11-07-19, 02:30 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Holy Rollercam
Not all finishing tape is created equal...

This stuff is very flexible/stretchy and reusable.
I have no idea what the bar tape you have pictured is but, generally speaking, finishing tape is almost universally bad.

Old 11-07-19, 06:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
So for silicone tape, is there also adhesive? ie. if your silicon tape overlaps both the bar-wrap and the bar, will it stick to the bar? Or does this stuff only stick (aka 'fuse') to itself?
Old 11-07-19, 06:54 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
It is more of a matter of wrapping technique. The trick is to stretch the first loops of the tape (to make it conform) and keep the last loop or two relaxed to prevent creep. Too much stretch in the last loop, and any tape will creep and likely leave residue, no matter how good it is.
Yes, this works great with 3M tape. Cut a piece somewhat longer than one full wrap. (I find this easier to use than holding the roll of tape and cutting it later.) Stick the 3M onto an inch or so of the end of the bar tape. Pull it around and press it down. Now cut a second piece, start underneath the bars, and wrap with very little stretch. Cut the end to be under the bars, past the ends of your fingers when gripping the bar.

I often use a cut piece of Gorilla Tape, maybe 3/8 inch wide and 1 1/2 inches long, to secure the end of the bar tape. It won't slip. This can show through the electrical tape wrap, but it's under the bar.

Originally Posted by jadocs
I have found that the tape that comes with SupaCaz is awesome and superior to electrical tape (at least on the version I have).
Yes, this is the first time I've ever used the included finishing tape. 4000 miles later, it still looks great. (and the bar tape itself looks like new.)

But I probably won't use SupaCaz next time. It's a bit too thin for me, and it needed some extreme pulling to get it to fit smoothly. My fingers were sore afterwards from all the pulling. It does look nice, though, and the matching screw tightened end plugs are good.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So for silicone tape, is there also adhesive? ie. if your silicon tape overlaps both the bar-wrap and the bar, will it stick to the bar? Or does this stuff only stick (aka 'fuse') to itself?
Smooth on both sides. No adhesive. It's very stretchy, with a rubbery feel.

Last edited by rm -rf; 11-07-19 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-08-19, 08:55 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Not all finishing tape is created equal...

This stuff is very flexible/stretchy and reusable.

What's under the bumps about an inch outboard of the tape?
Old 11-08-19, 09:22 AM
cyccommute 

"Not all finishing tape is created equal..." seems pretty clear to me. Which part did you find to be confusing?
That's a single example. What part of "almost universally bad" don't you understand?

Old 11-08-19, 09:26 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yes, it only sticks to itself but it's very stretchy and there's a fair amount of friction between the fusion tape and any thing it is wrapped around. It's a bit like the self-adhering sports wrap. It's has a little bit of stickiness when you touch it but it doesn't leave any residue.

Old 11-08-19, 10:36 AM
cyccommute 

I understand it perfectly well. What I don't understand is why you are becoming increasingly confused with every post after I educated you.

You noted that "I've tried to use the finishing tape that comes with the handlebar tape but never found the results to be satisfactory. The provided finishing tape tends to be too stiff and inelastic so it doesn't stretch and provide a smooth finish...i.e. it wrinkles.."

I gave you an example of a very satisfactory option and confusion now reigns for you. That's too bad.
My aren't we feisty today!

You gave me an example that only is available with that brand of tape. I don't see anything on the ENVE website where they sell the finishing tape separately from handlebar tape. Every other handlebar tape I've tired...and I've tired hundreds...has finishing tape that is universally bad. That's the reason that so many people use something else.

If you are "educating" me, you are doing a poor job of it.

Old 11-08-19, 10:58 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Yuck. That stuff is a guaranteed mess down the road.
pic don't lie,zero mess down the road.
Old 11-08-19, 11:30 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
pic don't lie,zero mess down the road.

Take a pic & report when you change the bar tape.

You might need solvent to remove the goo from you hands before taking the pic.
Old 11-08-19, 11:38 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
If you enjoy a double wrap, you may be interested in what was a new discovery for me and is working great- for your next wrap over existing tape but just the top part of the bars starting from the brakes....
Old 11-08-19, 12:18 PM
cyccommute 

You: "never found the results to be satisfactory. The provided finishing tape tends to be too stiff and inelastic so it doesn't stretch and provide a smooth finish...i.e. it wrinkles.."
Me: Here's an example of finishing tape that's very flexible/stretchy and reusable
You: "generally speaking, finishing tape is almost universally bad."
Me: reiterating, yeah, ""Not all finishing tape is created equal..."
You: "That's a single example."

It can be challenging to educate people who are really confused, as your responses here show.
You seem to be confused about what "confused" means. A single example of a finishing tape that is good doesn't make all the other finishing tapes good as well. "Generally" and "almost" aren't that hard to understand. If you provide me with more examples than a single one, you might have a point and you might be able to change my mind. However, there are still a very large number of very bad finishing tapes for handlebar tape out there. So many, in fact, that most people don't use them...hence the use of electrical tape and silicone fusion tape.

Old 11-08-19, 01:49 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Please don't feed the trolls.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-08-19, 02:35 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 192 Posts
I use black hockey tape. A little sticky at first but settles into a nice look quickly. Actually hockey tape is awesome for a variety of bicycle tasks like chain frame guards, shift grip, rim strips...
Old 11-08-19, 09:54 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Please don't feed the trolls.
What are you replying to?

Cheers
Old 11-08-19, 10:29 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,756 Times in 2,766 Posts
I did learn to not pull the electrical tape tight. It stays put just fine when just wrapping it without stretching it. It tended to try and pull itself back into itself if it was stretched too tight.
Old 11-09-19, 07:37 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I've given up on commercial bicycle handlebar tape due to its expense, thickness, fast wear, and difficulty securing the ends by the reinforcing sleeve of the handlebar. I now use Renfrew Brand Hockey Tape to wrap my bars. When I get the tape up to the reinforcing sleeve i just carefully cut the tap as it is and push it down onto the bar. This tape sticks really well and is hard to find the end of later it I want to unwrap the handlebar for any reason. I don't regret using it on any of my bikes as it's quite durable.

Cheers
I'm going to look into this.
Old 11-09-19, 10:45 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man I've given up on commercial bicycle handlebar tape due to its expense, thickness, fast wear, and difficulty securing the ends by the reinforcing sleeve of the handlebar. I now use Renfrew Brand Hockey Tape to wrap my bars. When I get the tape up to the reinforcing sleeve i just carefully cut the tap as it is and push it down onto the bar. This tape sticks really well and is hard to find the end of later it I want to unwrap the handlebar for any reason. I don't regret using it on any of my bikes as it's quite durable.

Cheers
Originally Posted by Jmpierce
I'm going to look into this.
Here're two images of my Bianchi with black Renfrew brand hockey tape. I've seen it in different colours at the store. I can't remember what other colours they were though.

Just looked at the Canadian Tire website as I buy my tape at the local Canadian Tire store.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/r...-0830095p.html

They list black, blue, green, red, white, bright yellow and clear tapes.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 11-11-19, 12:40 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Shrink wrap. I'll have to remember that. Nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.