Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Tread direction for optimal traction in winter?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Tread direction for optimal traction in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-19, 11:01 PM
johnspack

Bikes: 2012 Giant Trance, 1979 Dawes Echelon, Late 80s Walmart MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, a lot of salt, and I don't want to ruin my steely. So I want to park it for the winter. The giant currently has a 2.5" knobby on the back and a 2.4" on the front. I expect to completely re-service the front and rear suspension
in the spring. Heh, spring, get it? I have both tires turned forward now, so that's no longer a discussion. For winter here, where we have a lot of melting, it's best to keep them forward.
Old 10-23-19, 09:09 PM
johnspack

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm in Nelson B.C., in the kootenays yes. I just ordered the ice spiker pro tire, and yes, they cost 250. Who cares? I've also placed mud guards, and have both fenders on now. I've decided money is no longer the object.
I'll put up pics when the new tires come in. Snow is coming soon, so I'll need to do this within a month.
Old 10-23-19, 09:22 PM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by johnspack
Dam, so I should get the 2.1" nokias for 250 can? I was hoping on a fixed income the 600 I already spent on the darn thing would be enough. Would narrow studded tires make that much more difference over larger
new knobbies? And I'm certain the dual suspension will help, my old steel bike just bounced around on the ice. I still held it though, even during snowstorms. I'm very stubborn.
Never put money over safety plus groceries are costly.
Old 10-24-19, 12:49 AM
johnspack

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Money = safety. Period. Cheap equals dead. Food is nice, but can't eat if dead. Getting the studded tires because I feel my life is worth it. Oh, and the spikers are 2.2", so not bad. I'll post pics of these things when I get them, they are truly nasty looking tires!
Old 10-24-19, 07:04 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Money = safety. Period. Cheap equals dead. Food is nice, but can't eat if dead. Getting the studded tires because I feel my life is worth it. Oh, and the spikers are 2.2", so not bad. I'll post pics of these things when I get them, they are truly nasty looking tires!
You made a wise decision. Studded tires in your situation are not a luxury item.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-24-19, 08:58 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
yeah, good choice, riding is so much more enjoyable when there's no fear of eminent death or breakage
post pics when you get them mounted. I'm sharing mine when I see yours....
I only wished we got the regular snows like you, last 2 winters have been rather mild here in the NE. It's only October, we rarely see snow before thanksgiving by me.
Likes For qclabrat:
Old 10-24-19, 03:58 PM
johnspack

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The problem isn't the regular snows, its that after December, we can go above freezing, and then back below. A lot of slush gets frozen, and then things get fun! Washboard frozen slush is horrible to navigate. And deep ruts too.
That's I went with the ice spikers. Your supposed to be able to race on stuff like this! I have a feeling this winter will be a lot more fun than last.....
Old 10-24-19, 04:32 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
And honestly, none of you have ever run the winter without studs on your bikes? Really? What fun is that? Guts or glory, dam, and I'm a Canadian. I ran all winter long last year on tiny tires on an old steel bike
and survived just fine. I may try spikes this year, or not. I might just use balls instead!
MA rider here. It's not about bravado, it's about staying upright. Low $$ funds? What would a broken arm cost you? Time and $$? Need to work everyday? Long term issues?
Old 11-07-19, 05:35 PM
johnspack

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Okay, winterized!

Old 11-07-19, 07:22 PM
johnspack

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Heh, and yes, realized I put the front one on backwards. Has since been corrected!
Old 11-08-19, 05:25 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
You’re not alone cough cough now I’ve marked some tires w/ the rotation direction w a china marker and even on some tires I’ll write the tire pressure range cuz those black on black embossed markings are too tough for me to read w/o over the counter eyeglasses and a flashlight - ugh
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-09-19, 09:34 PM
johnspack

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Also I noticed a lot of complaints about the marathon winters losing studs. They want to put 60 psi and run them im. Stupid. 35 psi for the first40-50kms. 20-30 miles for you yanks. Still running mine in at close to 40k, and no missing studs. Second, the studs coming through the tire and causing punctures. Again, 60+ psi on winter tires is stupid! These are not summer racing tires. They have studs in them! Don't put so much pressure into them. Yes, it's higher rolling resistance, but it's winter! Wait until summer to pump 80psi into your tires to go 60kmh.