Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with the fear of being ran over one day? Almost ran over a few times.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do you deal with the fear of being ran over one day? Almost ran over a few times.

Old 11-07-19, 03:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Why would data exist? I am talking about going back to 60s and 70s when cycling was an activity for children. Adults who cycled were plain weird. We did all know each other. There was a community. If you were part of the community you would know what was happening and would have more to work with than a statistician.

It would have been 1980s and well into 80s before I even heard of a rotator cuff injury or wrist surgery or punctured lungs. Those are all too common now. Just unknown in 60s or 70s. Severe injuries occurred when someone had the misfortune of meeting a truck or a drunk driver and otherwise we didn't much get hurt.

If you rode a bike as an adult, or even an older teen, you were going to meet the old racers. You would be taught. There was no such thing as a power meter. No one trained for wattage. Coaching was free. We trained for style and for form. Knowing what you are doing helps a lot in a tight spot. Being stable and poised on the machine helps a lot. I don't expect anyone to accept any of the above. The current received wisdom is there is simply nothing to know and anything goes.

A more recent example. Two years ago my wife went over the handlebars. You do not ever want to watch a 68 year old lady flying through the air. She was knocked off her bike by another cyclist. This was on the Green Bay Trail, an MUP, perhaps 100 yards north of the Kenilworth Police Station. Should be a safe place to ride. My wife did everything she could to evade the oncoming rider but he just kept closing the door. So she's in the air and we are both thinking broken hip, broken back, our lives just changed. She had just completed rehab on her shoulder surgery and that was presumed out the window. So while she is in the air, panicked, expecting the worst, she composed and arranged her fall. Someone above accused me of ice in my veins. That would be my wife. Zero injury. Colnago fork was slightly out of alignment, front wheel needed a true. But no injury, not a scratch. I see so many crashes where the obvious thought pattern is "It's crash time. Here we go." The consensus on this thread and every other safety thread is injury is inevitable. Accept your fate and don't argue with it. Horse manure. I was taught you can always do something and you had better do everything. Couldn't possibly count all the times both wheels have lost traction or become airborne and I land rubber side down and just continue riding. Close calls?
Wow!!
Old 11-07-19, 03:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Wow!!
In his day, they didn't have water bottles, they just hollowed out coconuts and strapped them to their heads.
Old 11-07-19, 03:32 PM
RMoudatir

Bikes: Otso Warakin, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.4 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
In his day, they didn't have water bottles, they just hollowed out coconuts and strapped them to their heads.
Don't forget the animal stomach water pouches.
Old 11-07-19, 03:34 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Flank steak for a chamois!
Old 11-07-19, 03:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by RMoudatir
Don't forget the animal stomach water pouches.
If he rode with those, the scent would attract sabre tooth tigers.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-07-19, 05:23 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
If that's how you characterize me, how would you characterize my wife? Be careful.

She hasn't ridden as long as me. Only 55 years. Her family wouldn't allow it when she was a kid. Not as many miles logged as me, but more consistent. Nearly every day. I broke down and got a car when I was thirty, she was car-less until 37. And has been car-less at other times since then. Riding through the winter, every winter, in Chicago. This ain't Amsterdam. She has never had an accident with injury. Not even road rash. Nada. Safe sport. Safe transport.
Old 11-07-19, 05:31 PM
63rickert

First of all you claim that my experiences were exaggerated from perception..
I did not claim you exaggerated anything. Your experience is your experience. I can't take that away from you. No one can.

Perceptions differ. Of course they do. How could they not? And we can talk about that without attacking each other. Or maybe that is not possible online.
Old 11-07-19, 05:50 PM
RMoudatir

Originally Posted by 63rickert
I did not claim you exaggerated anything. Your experience is your experience. I can't take that away from you. No one can.

Perceptions differ. Of course they do. How could they not? And we can talk about that without attacking each other. Or maybe that is not possible online.
Not sure how I attacked you, if you got offended from me "accusing" you must have ice in your veins idk what to say then. I said it as a compliment cause I actually wish I could have the courage you have in these situations.
Old 11-07-19, 06:19 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,461 Posts
Ok, let’s keep emotions and posts in check. This is a good thread but no need to get overly excited about comments from others. Everyone so far has valued opinions.

Thanks
Old 11-08-19, 10:23 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Thinking that on a daily basis was a huge factor in making me give up motorcycling in 2003 after 18 straight years. That and the fact that many of my riding friends had gone down hard, spent weeks in the hospital (one died), and missed months of work in the last few years of my riding. Nothing like riding your broken friend's repaired motorcycle from the local shop to his house while he's still got weeks of recovery time left to do.

Due to that, I always do what I have to do to get out of the way of car traffic on a bicycle. At least on a motorcycle I had superior acceleration and braking to attempt to get out of harms way. Plus, a "real" helmet, leathers, and boots. The only advantage I have on a bicycle is the increased maneuverability, if I can put it to use when necessary.

The axiom, "When in doubt, gas it!" doesn't work too well with pedal power in traffic, IMO.
I can sympathize with that. I totaled my motorcycle, must have been 25 years ago after about 20 years of riding, and haven't been on one since. Not a conscious decision; I just never felt motivated to buy a new one. I really think that cycling is slightly riskier in traffic - for the reasons you mention, but it's also easier to avoid the more dangerous situations while cycling.

The best advice I can give anyone who is worried about it is: be aware that the risk always exists, and don't go on the streets unless you find the risk acceptable. How high that risk is, and what you do to mitigate it, is up to you.
Old 11-11-19, 09:45 AM
foothillbilly

Bikes: Ancheer folding e-bike, ancient Trek (24" wheels, modified for my back problem), Zizzo trailer, homemade trailer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Possible, but not probable.
Look at the IHS site for stats. (linked)
Interesting that the vast majority of deaths are men over 20yrs old.
So, therefore, don't be an old man. Change that and your odds are drastically improved.
Else, Rule #5 .
I'm an old man (62 years old). I have never collided with a motor vehicle in 51 years of mostly on-road riding. Age isn't the determining factor. As I posted above, I believe that visibility, predictability, and my use of good mirrors to spot out-of-control drivers, along with the blessings of a Greater Power, are the determining factors.
Likes For foothillbilly:
Old 11-12-19, 08:22 AM
63rickert

Not sure how I attacked you, if you got offended from me "accusing" you must have ice in your veins idk what to say then. I said it as a compliment cause I actually wish I could have the courage you have in these situations.
Comment threads are a perfect mechanism for generating misunderstandings.

Working as a bicycle courier is plain hard. I do not believe I would have the safety record I do had that sort of work been attempted.
Old 11-12-19, 09:27 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Yeah I don't ride on roads, stupid idea.

But the 'mup's', as they're known on here, have their own hazards.
There's one particular descent I like to keep my speed up, as I'm charging my batteries on regeneration. It sweeps down past some overflow parking spaces which have cross-access, so there are posts there to negotiate. The path curves for the full duration, enough to have to lean through. This is fine, usually.

The whole area is amongst trees, so the path is currently heavily carpeted with decaying wet yellow leaves. The last few mornings I've practically slid through the posts at some 30mph, I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time before I get it wrong...
Old 11-12-19, 10:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MikeyMK

Ahem, seriously?

Might be true in Milton Keynes, but if I didn't ride roads here, I'd basically have to give up anything but very minimal bicycling. The same 10-12 mile paths going from random point A to random point B will likely get old pretty fast.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-12-19, 10:41 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts

But the 'mup's', as they're known on here, have their own hazards.
There's one particular descent I like to keep my speed up, as I'm charging my batteries on regeneration. It sweeps down past some overflow parking spaces which have cross-access, so there are posts there to negotiate. The path curves for the full duration, enough to have to lean through. This is fine, usually.

The whole area is amongst trees, so the path is currently heavily carpeted with decaying wet yellow leaves. The last few mornings I've practically slid through the posts at some 30mph, I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time before I get it wrong...

Where I live, If I did not ride on the roads I would have no way to ride unless I took my bike in the car to ride where I could not go more than 5 or 6 without riding the same place repetitively. I have been riding on roads for over 40 years. I have had many near misses, most of them avoided due to my being aware of what is going on around me, being very defensive and just plain not trusting others. That includes pedestrians, motorized vehicles and bicycles. I also make sure I have good tires and brake pads, and they are functioning optimally.

Last edited by delbiker1; 11-12-19 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-12-19, 10:52 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Towns haven't evolved with transport. Except here. If I didn't live here, I wouldn't ride.
Old 11-12-19, 10:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Towns haven't evolved with transport. Except here. If I didn't live here, I wouldn't ride.
So are you calling us stupid for doing so? Because your implication is pretty clear.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-12-19, 11:06 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

So are you calling us stupid for doing so? Because your implication is pretty clear.
Each weighs up their own risks. I guess you choose to read things as you wish, too. It matters not to me. I will emphasize though, that the laws and town planning situations are unacceptable.
Old 11-12-19, 11:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Each weighs up their own risks. I guess you choose to read things as you wish, too. It matters not to me. I will emphasize though, that the laws and town planning situations are unacceptable.
I'm pretty sure "stupid idea" didn't leave a lot of room for interpretation of what you said.

So how many 100s of millions of us do you think can fit into Milton Keynes? We're kind of stuck with that unacceptable here for now.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-12-19, 12:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Ahem, seriously?
I agree. Not riding on roads is a stupid idea.

And you have to take with a grain of salt the comments in a thread about dealing with fear of riding on roads made by someone who doesn't ride on roads.
Old 11-12-19, 12:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I agree. Not riding on roads is a stupid idea.

And you have to take with a grain of salt the comments in a thread about dealing with fear of riding on roads made by someone who doesn't ride on roads.
Especially since he's riding very road-capable vehicles--ebikes that can be ridden 40 mph if I recall correctly.

Biking on paths in the U.S. is great, unless you actually, y'know, want to get somewhere. During the daylight savings time months, I'll drive after work to the nearest decent path and do a 24 mile round trip because I can avoid doing my evening workout in rush hour traffic. That path is otherwise either on my way to somewhere or not. Neither end is actually a destination I'd go to otherwise.
Old 11-12-19, 02:21 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'd rather die once on a road than die a thousand times riding on a multi-use path...
Old 11-12-19, 06:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I'd rather die once on a road than die a thousand times riding on a multi-use path...
Pretty sure those aren't the available options.

Dying a thousand times anywhere doesn't sound very appealing, btw. I'm not even sure what that is supposed to mean.
Old 11-12-19, 07:27 PM
RMoudatir

Pretty sure those aren't the available options.

Dying a thousand times anywhere doesn't sound very appealing, btw. I'm not even sure what that is supposed to mean.
I know there was a quote by a guy who MTBs saying something like "I rather die from my mistake than from someone else's."
Old 11-12-19, 07:34 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I know there was a quote by a guy who MTBs saying something like "I rather die from my mistake than from someone else's."
I like to tell the MTB fans who will not ride on roads: "You can't sue the trees!"
Likes For wipekitty:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.