Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Carbon Commuter?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Carbon Commuter?

Old 11-19-19, 09:36 AM
NyoGoat

Bikes: CAAD10 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Carbon Commuter?

It's too late, I already bought the bike. But i'm second guessing myself now.

I have been trying to figure out the best all weather commuter. I have been commuting on my road bike for a few years, but I have always struggled to fit fenders because there aren't any mounts. I've been watching for a cross bike or something similar as a poor weather commuter. I ended up getting a used (great price!) carbon gravel bike (Trek Checkpoint SL5). At the time (And still now) there is the same bike in the aluminum model in the local listings. I really like the bike as it is now, but i'm overly stressed about it being carbon, making me want to baby it and afraid to lock it up anywhere. I don't usually stop on the way home - and the commute is part of my pleasure riding so I like to have a decent bike. Right now I like everything about it except for the low level of stress it causes just because it's carbon.

Would you consider a carbon bike just for a wet weather commute?
Old 11-19-19, 10:37 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
The carbon frame shouldn't rust!!!

Be careful of the bike racks.

I have seen clearcoat issues on a few carbon bikes. Perhaps that is the greatest concern.

But, otherwise, enjoy your bike!!!
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 11-19-19, 12:19 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I've used plastic frames for commuting for almost a decade. Not sure why there would be a concern unless it is valuable and hard to secure.
Old 11-19-19, 12:21 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
A few suggestions:

1. Don't stop in sketchy areas. (I know, duh.)

2. Lock your bike when you can't see it.

3. Lock your bike at work in such a way that it won't fall over.

4. Uglify that sucker. A few stickers, maybe some duct tape, wrap strips off an old inner tube and tape it together with some colored electrical tape, etc. Make the casual observer ask, "Why would I want that bike?"

Then ride it and enjoy it. If you've taken reasonable precautions, remember it's a relatively inexpensive bike you bought for pleasure as well as utility.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-19-19, 01:17 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I would only add to buy the best, most intimidating lock you can afford. I had an Orbea Orca stolen years ago. I had an expensive bike with a crummy lock. Totally my fault. If your lock is going to be a lot of work to cut through, thief may just move on to the next opportunity. People seem to like Abus locks. I use a Sigtuna. It is large and heavy and I do believe it is a disincentive to bad guys.
Old 11-19-19, 04:24 PM
NyoGoat

Bikes: CAAD10 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The good news here is that I was able to convince my work to invest in bike lockers inside the access required gate, so i'm not too nervous about it being stolen while at work
Likes For NyoGoat:
Old 11-19-19, 04:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I know plenty of riders who commute on their carbon race bikes (myself included). As long as you've got secure at-work parking, that's the main thing. But like you, I don't really like locking it up on the street so if I am going to run errands that require a stop or two, I'll ride my beater instead. Or take a Jump bike.
Likes For caloso:
Old 11-20-19, 07:18 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Carbon Commuter?
Originally Posted by NyoGoat
It's too late, I already bought the bike. But i'm second guessing myself now….

I really like the bike as it is now, but i'm overly stressed about it being carbon, making me want to baby it and afraid to lock it up anywhere. I don't usually stop on the way home - and the commute is part of my pleasure riding so I like to have a decent bike. Right now I like everything about it except for the low level of stress it causes just because it's carbon.

I have previously posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I further craved the smoothness of the ride [of my carbon fiber bike], including the shifting, making cycle-commuting more pleasurable.

Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end.
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The carbon frame shouldn't rust!!!....
Even with dry roads in the Winter, after the first salting I still think that salt dust can be corrosive.
Protecting bike from salt and rust in commutes”

So too I don’t bother cleaning my beater either. We live in a small downtown condo, and I don’t have easily accessible facilities, like a garage.

If the bike, mainly the drive train is particularly filthy, my bike shop one block away does a good cleaning.

My beater is a good quality aluminum Specialized Diverge, and I bought it as a good-riding beater that I would nonetheless subject to the elements, without the distress of messing up my high end Specialized S-Works.
I put my pristine carbon fiber bike away in the Wet (grimy roads) and Winter weather to protect the metallic components. Otherwise I don’t even carry a lock because I always keep the bike with me, even on errands, and I have secure indoor parking at work.

Originally Posted by caloso
I know plenty of riders who commute on their carbon race bikes (myself included). As long as you've got secure at-work parking, that's the main thing.

But like you, I don't really like locking it up on the street so if I am going to run errands that require a stop or two, I'll ride my beater instead. Or take a Jump bike.
The good news here is that I was able to convince my work to invest in bike lockers inside the access required gate, so i'm not too nervous about it being stolen while at work

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-20-19 at 06:45 PM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 11-20-19, 09:29 AM
CliffordK

I put my pristine carbon fiber bike away in the Wet (grimy roads) and Winter weather to protect the metallic components. Otherwise I don’t even carry a lock because I always keep the bike with me, even on errands, I have secure indoor parking at work.
I suppose it depends a bit on the cost of the CF bike. I do more errands than commuting, but have ridden most of my bikes, including locking them (with a Kryptonite NY lock).

But, like you, I do like to hide the CF bikes away on wet rainy days. Still, if it was relatively inexpensive, I might consider it.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to find a good deal on an older Titanium Litespeed MTB frame which I put road tires on for a winter bike. The frame itself was indestructable, and the build was cheap enough that I didn't worry about it too much.

Of course, going with high-end components, and one gets more complex stuff (brifters), but also more stainless and titanium.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 11-20-19, 06:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Frame material was not a deciding factor in my last commuter/MTB buy. The bike that had the features I wanted and was in-stock at a good value was aluminum. It gets locked up just the same as it would if it were carbon fiber.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-20-19, 06:58 PM
Jim from Boston

I recently posted above:
…My beater is a good quality aluminum Specialized Diverge, and I bought it as a good-riding beater that I would nonetheless subject to the elements, without the distress of messing up my high end Specialized S-Works.
I suppose it depends a bit on the cost of the CF bike. I do more errands than commuting, but have ridden most of my bikes, including locking them (with a Kryptonite NY lock).

But, like you, I do like to hide the CF bikes away on wet rainy days. Still, if it was relatively inexpensive, I might consider it.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to find a good deal on an older Titanium Litespeed MTB frame which I put road tires on for a winter bike. The frame itself was indestructable, and the build was cheap enough that I didn't worry about it too much.

Of course, going with high-end components, and one gets more complex stuff (brifters), but also more stainless and titanium.
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Frame material was not a deciding factor in my last commuter/MTB buy. The bike that had the features I wanted and was in-stock at a good value was aluminum.

It gets locked up just the same as it would if it were carbon fiber.
For my choice of an Aluminum Diverge as a beater [in the above photo of my indoor storage], frame material was a surrogate for price, about $1500 vs a few thousand for carbon fiber.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-20-19 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-20-19, 07:54 PM
CliffordK

I recently posted above: For my choice of an Aluminum Diverge as a beater [in the above photo of my indoor storage], frame material was a surrogate for price, about $1500 vs a few thousand for carbon fiber.
Whew...

I hate adding up expenses, but I'd estimate the CF Colnago came in at $1000 to $1500.

I had tracked the Litespeed fairly closely, but don't see the notes at the moment. I think it came out to $400 to $500.

Old 11-21-19, 11:39 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I recently posted above: For my choice of an Aluminum Diverge as a beater [in the above photo of my indoor storage], frame material was a surrogate for price, about $1500 vs a few thousand for carbon fiber.
There were carbon mountain bikes in the price range I was shopping, from discount outlets. They did not have the frame features I wanted, and they were mostly XC-format and not trail. Today you need >$2000 MSRP to get a carbon road bike from Trek, but you can absolutely get one for $1000 shipped from Bikes Direct.
Old 11-21-19, 12:57 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
You're fine OP +1 to stickers and tape in strategic areas.

I feel like I don't fit in because I ride an Alloy frame with CF fork. I get made fun of by the Ti, CF and Steel crowds equally.

IMO tires matter way more to ride quality than frame composition; I have very high quality tires and my frame is very high quality as well.
Likes For davei1980:
Old 11-21-19, 07:26 PM
Jim from Boston

Whew...

I hate adding up expenses, but I'd estimate the CF Colnago came in at $1000 to $1500.

I had tracked the Litespeed fairly closely, but don't see the notes at the moment. I think it came out to $400 to $500.
There were carbon mountain bikes in the price range I was shopping, from discount outlets. They did not have the frame features I wanted, and they were mostly XC-format and not trail.

Today you need >$2000 MSRP to get a carbon road bike from Trek, but you can absolutely get one for $1000 shipped from Bikes Direct.
I’m a devoted customer of my LBS, and the services they provide are invaluable. I have bought all my bikes there.
Having the LBS do it all, in my case is a really good deal. The shop is one block away, and they will fix many things at a convenient time for me. They are so expert that they can do these things quickly, better than me, and often spot problems that I did not see. Whenever I leave the shop, the bikes ride as if new again

I tip well, not, “To Insure Prompt Service,” but because I am so appreciative of their work. Hats off to Back Bay Bikes.
"Help with choosing a bike."

...My shopping strategy for something important is to look at the high end (expensive) models first, just to know what’s available and then whittle downwards to find what’s acceptable, the so-called sweet spot of price/value.
For years, I rode a steel Bridgestone RB-1, costing about $650 down from about $800 as an end-of-year model when I bought it in the early 1980’s. I came to learn it was considered a classic.

After the introduction of carbon fiber bikes, I always wondered if the premium prices of CF, which I considered to be about $2000 was worth the presumed enhanced riding experience.

The Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure I would ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF. My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off.

Now, considering the attitude most non- or occasional cyclists towards bicycles and prices, I’m frankly somewhat embarrassed to admit to paying so much, sounding like some over-the-top conspicuous consumption.

Personally, I can afford it, and it was an offer I could not refuse. Cycling is that important to me and I’m fortunate to be able to continue the lifestyle, so that puts it in perspective for me.
Old 11-21-19, 08:51 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
After riding heavy alloy and steel bikes all winter that first ride on that warm spring morning on a light CF bike is just, well, heavenly. I don't commute with a carbon bike often, but when I do it's quite delightful.
Old 11-21-19, 09:09 PM
CliffordK

The Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure I would ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF. My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off.
A lot of frugal cyclists on this board, but a lot of people that also realize the value of a nice bike!!!

Did we somehow jump topics?

Carbon Commuter?

This does, however, bring up a point about commuting. Each commute is different.

Distance, time, financial means, etc.

If you're commuting 1 mile down to the corner store, then carbon fiber may not be the best choice, unless the ride is straight up/straight down for that mile.

I met a neighbor, Ray, who's last half mile is 10%+. It would be a challenge for almost any rider. I don't fault him for his bike or gearing choices.

On the other hand, if your commute is 20+ miles, then a 1980's MTB may not be the answer, nor a 1950's 3-speed.

I'm back to driving a bit, but the picture of the Colnago above towing a trailer near the Buena Vista Ferry was at the halfway point of a modified commute of about 150+ miles each way.

I've ridden a variety of bikes on that ride, but I do like the Carbon Colnago
C40 despite not having racks. Sometimes towing, sometimes not.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 11-23-19, 08:45 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Nothing wrong with a carbon commute!

My current plastic bike is a fair weather rider - I commute on it only when I can take it in to work. That will probably change when I hit my next 'age milestone' and get to treat myself to a new road bike, making the old bike my rain bike.

My main concern with carbon is locking up in places where bikes tend to get bashed around a lot. This applies to metal bikes with CF forks as well. I've had a lot of jobs on university campuses that require locking up on crowed bike racks with kids who tend to throw their bikes around, and once had a rear derailleur crushed to death on a mixed mode commute. So, it's metal and single speed for those situations.
Old 11-25-19, 10:08 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Seems like carbon frames and forks are way better and WAY cheaper back in the day.... They basically don't biodegrade though and can't be recycled so that's an issue
Old 11-25-19, 11:42 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by davei1980
Seems like carbon frames and forks are way better and WAY cheaper back in the day.... They basically don't biodegrade though and can't be recycled so that's an issue
It's true carbon doesn't "biodegrade," but neither do the others. It's not true that carbon can't be recycled, though it's true enough at consumer level. At an industrial level, the EU requires companies to come up with a recycling plan for their products, and so there are methods where the polymer is baked off or dissolved out, and the carbon strands (somewhat compromised) are chopped and used again. Now some people are working on getting whole fibers out without damaging them. Here's a recent example.

https://www.compositesworld.com/blog...f-carbon-fiber

"Batch" vs "continuous" in this article is an important distinction. In a batch process a lot of the feed stock is put in a pool or mixer or something, and the throughput is very limited by the size of the batch and the time it takes to do the steps. A continuous process can do much more, usually with a much smaller facility, but it has to have enough feed stock and demand for its output to keep it running all the time in order to make financial sense. Basically it means the scale is getting bigger.
Old 11-25-19, 12:58 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

It's true carbon doesn't "biodegrade," but neither do the others. It's not true that carbon can't be recycled, though it's true enough at consumer level. At an industrial level, the EU requires companies to come up with a recycling plan for their products, and so there are methods where the polymer is baked off or dissolved out, and the carbon strands (somewhat compromised) are chopped and used again. Now some people are working on getting whole fibers out without damaging them. Here's a recent example.

https://www.compositesworld.com/blog...f-carbon-fiber

"Batch" vs "continuous" in this article is an important distinction. In a batch process a lot of the feed stock is put in a pool or mixer or something, and the throughput is very limited by the size of the batch and the time it takes to do the steps. A continuous process can do much more, usually with a much smaller facility, but it has to have enough feed stock and demand for its output to keep it running all the time in order to make financial sense. Basically it means the scale is getting bigger.
Wow. I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.

Hey- I was recently in Quincy, CA for work - not sure if you've been to Plumas County but was REALLY wishing I had my gravel bike with me on that trip!
Old 11-25-19, 02:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by davei1980
Hey- I was recently in Quincy, CA for work - not sure if you've been to Plumas County but was REALLY wishing I had my gravel bike with me on that trip!
I haven't, but there are a thousand places to ride a bike around here, it's great
Old 01-12-20, 02:11 AM
lazi_me

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use Madone 5.2 for commute + weekend rides and it survived all the wet+muddy winters in California. Just have to clean it more often. All the money I save from filling car gasoline worth more than my bike already.