Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Feet get numb

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Feet get numb

Old 11-22-19, 08:05 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Feet get numb

Usually at about 10 miles into a ride my feet start getting numb. Usually at that point I try to move my feet around a bit. What is the most likely cause? Shoes seem to be the right size. Thanks.
Old 11-22-19, 06:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Where's the discomfort, specifically? Does it originate with pressure on the soles or tops of the feet?

I've had wonky feet since I was a kid -- very narrow, high arches, bony -- so I'm familiar with the drill for getting shoes to fit me properly. It's pretty rare to find shoes narrow enough to fit me so I use insoles and inserts. I used to get custom orthotics but stopped wasting money when off the shelf insoles improved.

When my toes tingle and get numb, regardless of outside temperature, it's nearly always due to footwear compressing the tops of my feet and restricting blood flow. First place I feel it is the little toes on both feet. If I'm already on the road and it's too late to change socks, etc., I'll loosen the straps on my clipless shoes. If I'm wearing casual shoes I can custom adjust the laces to relieve pressure while retaining a snug fit.

If it's metatarsal hotspots -- primarily pain on the balls of the feet -- I'll try a different insole. Ditto, arch pain, which feels like a sprain or strain with a sort of tearing sensation -- that means I need a different arch support.

Best insole I've found at any price is ProFoot Miracle. Thin, lightweight, resilient and durable. Only $8-$10, usually available at Walgreen's or any store. Better than the pricey custom orthotics I used to get.

Next best is a Dr Scholl's 3/4 gel insole. I prefer these for my walking shoes. They don't feel quite right in my clipless cycling shoes.

For me it also starts with choosing the right socks for the shoes. I usually prefer thin wicking fabric socks for warm weather. Those always work fine with my Scott Road Pro and Fizik R5 Powerstrap Tempo shoes.

But in cooler weather I need to experiment. The Fizik shoes are a bit wide with a larger toe box. Layering two pairs of thin socks didn't work for me. But thick microfiber socks worked very well. It's easy to adjust the simple Velcro straps (no buckles like the Scott).

On cold rides I wear Pearl Izumi Wxb fleece lined thermal shoe covers that reach just above my ankles. They're very good but I do need to be careful about shoe strap tension, socks, etc. The PI shoe cover adds some compression and can restrict circulation. So my toes will feel numb even though they're warm. I'll usually take a test ride around the neighborhood for 20-30 minutes during the first cold weather snap to see what works. That way it's a short ride home to change. Better than riding out 50 miles in one direction and then discovering my feet are uncomfortable and I still have a 2-3 hour ride back home.

Another occasional problem is clenching my toes. I tend to do that when I'm stressed. Bike rides usually melt the tension away, but occasionally it'll happen in heavy traffic, or when I encounter a rude driver, or on fast group rides. I noticed on Tuesday's group ride I was clenching my toes and felt some cramping. There were three of us trading off drafting and it was the first time I'd ridden with one fellow (the other I know well -- he's very steady so I never worry). The new-to-me fellow didn't quite keep a steady cadence or effort, and tended to choose lines I wouldn't -- not bad, really, just not quite as rock solid reliable as the other fellow. So I was a bit tense and it showed in my feet. I dropped back a couple of feet off his wheel. After he dropped back I fixed the problem by taking a longer pull for much of the ride so I didn't have to adapt to someone else's style. (Hopefully I didn't make him nervous either.)
Old 11-22-19, 06:25 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingViking793
Usually at about 10 miles into a ride my feet start getting numb. Usually at that point I try to move my feet around a bit. What is the most likely cause? Shoes seem to be the right size. Thanks.
your feel will swell up as you ride, so don't set the shoe too tight at first
Old 11-22-19, 07:48 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wider shoes man.
Old 11-22-19, 08:14 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Try shimming your cleats by 1 or 2 degrees. Worked for me.

https://www.bikefit.com/c-1-cleat-wedges.aspx

No affiliation.

Glenn
Old 11-23-19, 12:24 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
My WAG is it's a saddle issue. Try standing every 10 minutes by the clock and stay up for up to a minute at a time. See if that helps, report back. Nerve or blood vessel maybe. My feet shrink as I ride. After a 30 or 40 miles I'll reach down and ratchet them up a notch or two. Also, make sure you're not pedaling "toes down". You feet want to be approximately level at the bottom of the pedal stroke. If you're toes down there, lower your saddle a bit until a level foot is comfortable. With your heel on the pedal and your knee locked out at the bottom of the pedal stroke, your heel should be just barely touching the pedal.
Old 11-23-19, 09:15 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Thanks for all the responses. I did a little test just now. Rode a few miles and then took off my shoes and socks right away. Both feet have a red mark right behind the big toe and it goes down a bit on the side of the foot. Is this likely showing my problem? My shoes are Giro Carbide R size 43. Usually I wear a nine for regular shoes so I think these are like a 9.5. My numbness is really in my toes. I didn't ride far enough for it to happen today. I used thinner socks and had them adjusted to try to be pretty loose. I specifically loosened the velcro near the toes, but those velcro don't seem to do much. They are looser, but I don't think the shoes actually get bigger.
Old 11-23-19, 11:24 AM
swag72

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 4 Posts
I used to get numb toes. When I went for my bike fit, the guy drew around my feet and measured the widest part of my foot. He measured the width of my shoes and it was clear to see that they were too narrow. I got a pair of made to measure shoes and have never looked back. Now I just need to sort out the cold feet in the colder months.
Likes For swag72:
Old 11-23-19, 12:22 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingViking793
Thanks for all the responses. I did a little test just now. Rode a few miles and then took off my shoes and socks right away. Both feet have a red mark right behind the big toe and it goes down a bit on the side of the foot. Is this likely showing my problem?
It might not be the only answer, but I'd say that's a first thing to address. Loosen the shoes a bit. If you have a system that allows you to loosen certain areas, try just loosening the toes. Different socks may be another solution to try.

Like others, my toes are first to show any restriction in circulation. For me, it's not a tingling per-se, but starts to feel as if my sock is bunched up around my toe. It isn't. It's just my toes telling me that the shoe is a bit tight. Sometimes on hot days I will have to readjust the shoe multiple times as my body reacts to the heat and exertion. I just keep easing the shoe a bit looser, especially on the first strap near my toes.
Old 12-04-19, 12:49 PM
BikingViking793 

I have some size 44 Shimano shoes now. Seem to be better. I’m stuck indoor now so won’t have a real long ride for a while.
Old 12-04-19, 01:09 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I used to get numb feet. My bike fitter said if you don't have insoles that reach your arch, your feet will go numb. I bought some Specialized inserts and it solved my numb feet problem.