Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized calls for the Future Shock assembly to be replaced every 500 hours

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-17-18, 01:57 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Anyone in the market for a current Roubaix or Diverge should be aware of this.

My bike shop got back to me about what the service requirements are for the Future Shock. They had to get information from the technical team at Specialized.

Specialized calls for the Future Shock to be serviced every 500 hours. And by service they mean replace the entire Future Shock cartridge. It is not intended to be taken apart and cleaned and regreased.

Part cost is $55. The part cost is much less than I was expecting, but 500 hours isn't a lot depending on how much you ride. What I'm most concerned about is completely proprietary nature of this design and whether we can count on Specialized carrying the parts for this 10 years from now. This something I will need to think about before pulling the trigger on a new Diverge (which I'd like to buy because it does ride really well).
Old 01-17-18, 02:02 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I wonder how much the LBS's labor is going to be for that service. Does it require a special tool? (Does Park sell it?)

For me, that would be a new cartridge about every 8 1/2 months. Planned obsolescence. Pretty annoying. I wish I could say I'm surprised.
Old 01-17-18, 02:11 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I wonder how much the LBS's labor is going to be for that service. Does it require a special tool? (Does Park sell it?)

For me, that would be a new cartridge about every 8 1/2 months. Planned obsolescence. Pretty annoying.

And yes, what happens when your Future Shock becomes Past Shock in the eyes of Specialized.
The install is super easy, no special tools. There's a video of the process online I can post when I get home. It's a 10 min job at most. Shop says they'd charge $30 in labor. My biggest concern is long term parts availability. Maybe the bikes will sell well and consequently the parts will be well supported. But that's a big risk to.

What annoys me even more is that there is no mention of this anywhere in owner's manuals for these bikes and Specialized never communicated it to their dealers either.

What this means for me is that I even though I love Specialized bikes (a lot), I am now seriously considering the Domane SL. Trek told me that 1. Front Isospeed is covered by the frame warranty and that 2.the wearable parts are not proprietary. And someone correct me if I'm wrong that Trek does have a good history of parts support.
Old 01-17-18, 02:11 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
A good reason to ride faster.
Old 01-17-18, 02:16 PM
motosonic

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
#MoneySink
Believe me.. if that tech gets discontinued at any point, parts will be hard to get AND super expensive. I dealt with that.. never again.
Old 01-17-18, 02:17 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
My biggest concern is long term parts availability.

That would be my concern, too.
Old 01-17-18, 02:18 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
#MoneySink
Believe me.. if that tech gets discontinued at any point, parts will be hard to get AND super expensive. I dealt with that.. never again.
If? Try when.

See it happen all the time with bizzarro proprietary parts.
Old 01-17-18, 02:35 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
Could the bike be assembled without the cartridge in the future if the supply of them runs out?

I would retain any replaced cartridges in my stash as they might well become precious in the future as a spare part.

What would be the consequences of extending the replacement interval? Might these last virtually forever under the use of lighter and/or less aggressive riders, and those who aren't crashing the bike?

Has anyone noticed any signs of wear on this part to date?

Are these offered in different firmness?
Old 01-17-18, 03:00 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Anyone in the market for a current Roubaix or Diverge should be aware of this.

My bike shop got back to me about what the service requirements are for the Future Shock. They had to get information from the technical team at Specialized.

Specialized calls for the Future Shock to be serviced every 500 hours. And by service they mean replace the entire Future Shock cartridge. It is not intended to be taken apart and cleaned and regreased.

Part cost is $55. The part cost is much less than I was expecting, but 500 hours isn't a lot depending on how much you ride. What I'm most concerned about is completely proprietary nature of this design and whether we can count on Specialized carrying the parts for this 10 years from now. This something I will need to think about before pulling the trigger on a new Diverge (which I'd like to buy because it does ride really well).
Now Im not defending anybody, but 500 hours 7500 miles at 15 mph. Sure its unexpected added expense, but is service cost really that big a deal, in relation to initial purchase price. I mean if you want cheap miles go for an alloy bike with 9, 10 speed gears. The proprietary nature of that particular part is a concern.
Old 01-17-18, 03:02 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
I am shocked, SHOCKED, to hear this.

(hides)
Old 01-17-18, 03:04 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I am shocked, SHOCKED, to hear this.

(hides)
And That was when I shot him, Your Honor.
Old 01-17-18, 03:09 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
One could stock up on the part ahead of time anticipating any future shortage. Then if they sell the bike before all of the parts have been used, they could sell the discontinued parts for a premium on ebay.

... or, one could avoid the bike like the plague and buy something that doesn't have a proprietary gizmo.
Old 01-17-18, 03:10 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Now Im not defending anybody, but 500 hours 7500 miles at 15 mph. Sure its unexpected added expense, but is service cost really that big a deal, in relation to initial purchase price. I mean if you want cheap miles go for an alloy bike with 9, 10 speed gears. The proprietary nature of that particular part is a concern.
Never said the $55 is an issue. It actually seems pretty reasonable. 500 hours is probably a year's worth of riding or less for people who live in areas where climate is temperate in winter. Even this is fine.

Considering how well their new bikes ride I'd be ok with all of it if 1. It was designed such that servicing the part didn't mean replacing it. 2. That we know this proprietary part would be supported in the long term.
Old 01-17-18, 03:14 PM
Racing Dan

Come to think of it. The way this shock is positioned in the frame is likely to produce load and wear in specific spots inside the tubes, due to the lever action of the stem and handle bar. If possible, im betting you can extend the service life of the cartrige by turning it 1/4 turn every X (you decide) miles, to even out the wear.

Edit: "Lever action" may not be a precise description, Im not native English speaking, but compressing the tubes via a long perpendicular arm (stem and bar) does produce some torque that, Imo, will result in uneven wear, as opposed to compressing it like on a floor pump.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 01-17-18 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-17-18, 04:49 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
To be fair, it took Cannondale something over a decade until the lefty shock wasn't a complete PITA to own. It's pretty solid now in terms of service, but things like the early headshock used consumable parts that don't exist anymore.

But still, given the might of the engineering department I'm lead to believe Specialized has, you would think they might know better given the database of knowledge they had to dig into. Suspension on road bikes has been done repeatedly with mixed success. Lots of history to look at and examine before marketing your own. I would think number 1 on the list would be "needs minimal maintenance and preferably lifetime parts if possible."
Old 01-17-18, 05:07 PM
airforce1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not familiar with Specialized but if parts are NLA, can you drop in a standard stem and handlebar as a replacement?
Old 01-17-18, 05:23 PM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by airforce1
I am not familiar with Specialized but if parts are NLA, can you drop in a standard stem and handlebar as a replacement?
Its not the stem and bar that is the issue. Its the headset assembly with the future shock. However, given the simple design of the cartridge, Im betting a non-spring replacement could easily be manufactured by a 3rd party. There are other proprietary parts in the headset assembly that are just as vital as the cartridge, but these are not, it seems, consumables.
Old 01-17-18, 05:27 PM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
To be fair, it took Cannondale something over a decade until the lefty shock wasn't a complete PITA to own. It's pretty solid now in terms of service, but things like the early headshock used consumable parts that don't exist anymore.

But still, given the might of the engineering department I'm lead to believe Specialized has, you would think they might know better given the database of knowledge they had to dig into. Suspension on road bikes has been done repeatedly with mixed success. Lots of history to look at and examine before marketing your own. I would think number 1 on the list would be "needs minimal maintenance and preferably lifetime parts if possible."
Except its not, if it has a 500 hour service life. Then its a consumable. The Cannondale story should serve as a warning or cautionary tale, rather than as an excuse.
Old 01-17-18, 05:33 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
My guess is that most guys buying a new Roubaix or Diverge couldn't care less if the future shock needs to be replaced every 500 hours, and if customers don't care, Specialized doesn't care. As far as I can tell, the future shock the main reason someone would chose one of those bikes over the many other less expensive available options. Everyone knows you are going to pay a premium for cutting edge technology that may or may not quickly become obsolete.
Old 01-17-18, 05:41 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
... or, one could avoid the bike like the plague and buy something that doesn't have a proprietary gizmo.
That's my feelings as well. There's little chance imo, you'll find that part easily and cheaply in 10 years, maybe not even 5 years. I hate stuff like that, I would definitely not buy one of those bikes.
Old 01-17-18, 06:01 PM
British

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do they just mean replacing the spring, or is there more to it than that?
Old 01-17-18, 06:08 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Hmmm.....every two years for me. I wonder if they'll offer a part that's solid to permanently replace the shock? I doubt I'd even notice the difference.
Old 01-17-18, 06:10 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I assume the team that came up with the name have been fired for naming it correctly.
Old 01-17-18, 06:56 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
From the lack of disclosure and to buyers who have already purchased these models, Specialized should at minimum make the first replacement free of charge. I know I'd be upset if I found out after the fact that the bike I bought last year was going to cost me $55 in parts after every 500 hours of use.
Old 01-17-18, 07:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
That's every year or two for me.

I suspected there would be something like this. It's a complex engineered part, it can't be completely without maintenance. I thought it would be more like hubs, though, and less like tires - throw it away when it's done, don't repair it.

What happens if you don't replace it? Most owners probably don't know they need to, half the rest probably don't track hours of use.

I wouldn't buy a road bike with a shock absorber before learning this, I definitely wouldn't now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.