Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Eugene to Tahoe summer tour advice

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-19, 01:01 PM
ss1642

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am planning on a fully loaded tour from Eugene OR to Lake Tahoe early July. Any one have any advice? Is 395 ridable, or is 445 a better option?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-19, 06:46 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I do not see any route 445, not sure if it's a typo?
Old 10-19-19, 02:12 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Take a look at ACA's Sierra Cascades route for mapping. That'll get you from Crater Lake to Truckee. You'll have to figure out your own route from Eugene to Crater Lake. From Truckee to Lake Tahoe, you'll ride on a combo of bike paths and roads with shoulders.

I rode from Truckee to Seattle on the Sierra Cascades a few years ago. Most of the riding in Oregon and California is on narrow two-lane highways with lots of logging trucks and RVs. It was downright unpleasant and frightening at times. But there were some beautifully quiet sections that made up for it.
Old 10-19-19, 09:59 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
If you can find a route that takes you by Crater Lake, it’s worth a visit. I was there in September, just before they close the roads for the winter. Already some snow on the ground.

Old 10-19-19, 10:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18370 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
How much time are you planning to do for the trip?

It looks like it is about 500 miles. So, if you're doing it in a week, the direction might not make a difference. If you're doing it in a month, then start in the south before it gets too hot, and head north to a more pleasant late summer if possible.

I've done Eugene to Crater Lake. Cycle Oregon did it this year, and I'm not sure of their exact route. However, the route I took was:

Find your favorite route Eugene to Creswell. I usually go East of I-5, but there are a couple of routes West of I-5 too.

Sears Road from Creswell to Cottage Grove.
Bike Path to Dorena, and to Culp Creek.
Cut over the hill from Culp Creek to Steamboat. This is a pretty intense climb.
Umpqua Highway from Steamboat to Diamond Lake, and eventually to Crater Lake. This has some traffic, but generally has good shoulders. There may be a couple of places one can bypass the main highway.

You can come in the North side of Crater Lake, do half the lake, and exit the south side towards Klamath Falls.
Old 10-19-19, 10:57 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I agree with Alan about Crater Lake, but there is a lot of climbing to get there; the rim road is about 7200'. Ride up there if you can, but it is a circuitous route to get get where you are going.

My wife and I have ridden a route that will get you to Mt. Lassen NP and then headed toward Truckee. Our tour started just north of Eugene and ended in the Central Valley near Visalia, CA. We rode Hwy 58, south of Eugene, over Willamette Pass to Hwy. 97. Hwy 97 is busy, but it has wide shoulders and great scenery. We stayed on it until Weed and then rode a short distance on I-5 to Hwy 89. Hwy. 89 will take you to Mt. Lassen NP. That is where we turned west and headed for the Valley. There is a lot of climbing on the route, but is was the best inland route we found for heading south from the Willamette Valley in Oregon to the Central Valley of California.

It looks like there are some good options from Lassen to Lake Tahoe.

North of Mt. Shasta on Highway 97.

Last edited by Doug64; 10-20-19 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-02-19, 03:39 PM
ss1642

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made a stop by Crater Lake 2 years ago on a road trip to Eugene, so I will probably pass on that. Although it is a fabulous view. I plan on taking 10 days, so maybe 50 miles a day. 97 looks pretty good, I can handle busy, but I like the wide shoulders. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by ss1642; 11-02-19 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-02-19, 04:05 PM
CliffordK

If you do choose to go East, the McKenzie Pass is quite spectacular. It usually opens to cars, I think mid June or mid July, but before that it is bikes only (assuming you get through).

Unfortunately it does take you north a bit.

There are a few back roads to wander around on such as Century Drive, but I think there are some "highways" that are unavoidable. Generally with wide shoulders, but busy.

Of course, another option is to head West. HWY 101 along the coast is very popular with cyclists, but unfortunately also busy with traffic.
Old 11-04-19, 09:45 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Besides the alternative route that skips Crater Lake, you can also skirt Lassen Park to the east to avoid a lot of climbing, though that misses some of the best scenery of the trip, IMO. There are also a few places where you can take side roads for a bit to get off 89, such as the scenic McCloud river route that starts a bit east of McCloud (three waterfalls and nice swimming holes vs just trees on 89), the road around the east side of Indian Valley that starts in Greenville, or the Quincy bypass once you get up the Spanish Creek climb.

Are you planning on camping? I know of some nice campsites along 89.
Old 11-09-19, 01:51 PM
ss1642

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am planning on camping the whole way. Ivbe never been to Lassen, so it may be worth the elevation to get to Tahoe via Lassen. How busy is 89?
Old 11-09-19, 02:25 PM
CliffordK

As you start route planning, you can post the route for comments from locals if you wish. Also requirements for intensity of gravel.

I know several of the back roads that takes one up HWY 126 towards the McKenzie Pass.

Many routes allow some amount of weaving in and out on back roads.