Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Broken Bottom Bracket Ring Stuck In Frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-19, 01:01 AM
Migsc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I have a 1987 Bianchi Sport LX and the bottom bracket cup snapped inside the frame. No idea how this happened but now I've got half the cup in there still without a clear way to pull it out. Any tips? I was thinking if I had a carbide drill bit, I could drill a little hole into it and use a Snap Ring Plier tool to rotate it out? I tried a normal drill bit but it's not really making a dent into the material. photos.app.goo.gl/KpjYCbhioD85Gia97

Cheers,
Miguel
Old 10-31-19, 06:27 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Pic assist

Not sure that a snap ring pliers will do it. The hole might help to get purchase for a chisel to hammer it out by rotating it. If it's an Italian BB, which is likely, it will be lefty loosey

Old 10-31-19, 07:18 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Pic assist

Not sure that a snap ring pliers will do it. The hole might help to get purchase for a chisel to hammer it out by rotating it. If it's an Italian BB, which is likely, it will be lefty loosey

You could use a hacksaw blade to cut through it in a couple places to separate it from the shell. The blade might cut a little into the shell threads, but nothing a quick chasing of the threads wouldn't put right.
Old 10-31-19, 07:50 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Not sure I can add much to anything John might suggest - except that a hacksaw into a hardened cup might be pretty slow. Maybe you can make a notch at the spot where the ring remnant goes across the seatstay (where it says (drill a hole here in the pic) . Use that notch either to try and turn the "remnant" or maybe split it. Careful not to distort the shell where it's thin at that point.

I think getting under the broken part is your best shot. Use best shop practices here, safety glasses and use some Kroil or PB Blaster, and then get in there and break it loose or break it up. Brace the frame as best you can to get maximum transfer of force into the part.

Tuff problem. Good luck with it.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Last edited by mpetry912; 10-31-19 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-31-19, 08:16 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Many approaches possible.

Clean the grunge out with mineral spirits and soak the thing with Kroil (a penetrating oil). Either cut some notches (more on that below) or get purchase with a drift (a punch), or use a chisel to get purchase and try to spin it out.

If that doesn't work the idea to split the ring would be my next approach. Because bearing races are hardened, you may have difficult using a standard high-speed steel hacksaw blade. I'd use a diamond or ceramic cutting wheel in a Dremel tool, cutting at about a 45° angle due to access limitations. As John pointed out, this might damage the threads. But if you are careful this should be minimal and you could then chase the threads with a proper tap to restore them.

There's another trick that is used in machine shops, which is heating the bottom bracket shell to expand it. Industrially one uses a torch typically. You could use a hot air blower (not a hair dryer, a proper workshop hot air blower). But you'd probably damage the paint.

Last, others have suggested breaking the cup with a chisel. Doable, but I'd pre-cut some slots first (using the Dremel and an abrasive disk).

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 10-31-19 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-31-19, 08:33 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
This is a p[plastic one but same principal

https://i.stack.imgur.com/Sudqn.jpg
Old 10-31-19, 09:09 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I have to ask but have you tried to coax it out with just using a screwdriver or chisel on one of the rough spots of the broken piece. A long shot but it may turn easily enough and worth a try. You could also possibly use a "tailpipe expander tool" available as a free loaner tool from some auto parts stores. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../67096/4700292 You may be able to fit a 1 1/8" size in there but they are harder to come by from loaner shops as most are min. 1 1/2". Anyways you just expand the tool to grab on to the bearing piece and unscrew it.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 10-31-19 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-31-19, 10:45 AM
Migsc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Pic assist

Thanks for the reply/help and pic assist (Newbie here so not allowed to post images). The hole was to get purchase, yea. I can't tell if it's lefty loosey until I remove the other side.
Old 10-31-19, 10:48 AM
Migsc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I have to ask but have you tried to coax it out with just using a screwdriver or chisel on one of the rough spots of the broken piece. A long shot but it may turn easily enough and worth a try. You could also possibly use a "tailpipe expander tool" available as a free loaner tool from some auto parts stores. You may be able to fit a 1 1/8" size in there but they are harder to come by from loaner shops as most are min. 1 1/2". Anyways you just expand the tool to grab on to the bearing piece and unscrew it.
that tool looks great. gonna see if the size would work. I got some purchase on the rough spots and was able to get a couple turns but then it got stuck. I may need to use a chisel instead of a screwdriver. thanks!
Old 10-31-19, 10:49 AM
Migsc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Many approaches possible.

Clean the grunge out with mineral spirits and soak the thing with Kroil (a penetrating oil). Either cut some notches (more on that below) or get purchase with a drift (a punch), or use a chisel to get purchase and try to spin it out.

If that doesn't work the idea to split the ring would be my next approach. Because bearing races are hardened, you may have difficult using a standard high-speed steel hacksaw blade. I'd use a diamond or ceramic cutting wheel in a Dremel tool, cutting at about a 45° angle due to access limitations. As John pointed out, this might damage the threads. But if you are careful this should be minimal and you could then chase the threads with a proper tap to restore them.

There's another trick that is used in machine shops, which is heating the bottom bracket shell to expand it. Industrially one uses a torch typically. You could use a hot air blower (not a hair dryer, a proper workshop hot air blower). But you'd probably damage the paint.

Last, others have suggested breaking the cup with a chisel. Doable, but I'd pre-cut some slots first (using the Dremel and an abrasive disk).
Thanks, gonna try the notch with a Dremel and get a chisel to see what can be done to turn it out.
Old 10-31-19, 10:49 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
If the BB shell (the part of the frame that the bearing cups thread in to) is 70mm wide then the right hand side is right hand threads. Italian BBs have a 70mm shell width (compared to 68mm for most English BBs), and Italian BBs have RH threads (turn CCW to loosen) on both sides.

If the shell is 68mm wide then the drive side threads are reversed and need to be turned clockwise to remove.
Old 10-31-19, 10:50 AM
Migsc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
If the BB shell (the part of the frame that the bearing cups thread in to) is 70mm wide then the right hand side is right hand threads. Italian BBs have a 70mm shell width (compared to 68mm for most English BBs), and Italian BBs have RH threads (turn CCW to loosen) on both sides.

If the shell is 68mm wide then the drive side threads are reversed and need to be turned clockwise to remove.
Thanks for the help. Its 68mm wide! so the drive side is reversed.
Old 10-31-19, 10:59 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by Migsc
Thanks, gonna try the notch with a Dremel and get a chisel to see what can be done to turn it out.
Don't forget to clean it (ideally you can use a scribe to dislodge any crud next to the ring in the threads, but even a toothbrush, with min spirits* will work). Then use penetrating oil like Kroil or PB Blaster.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-19, 11:02 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Migsc
Thanks for the help. Its 68mm wide! so the drive side is reversed.
Makes sense. Italian BBs were abandoned many years ago as the drive side threads tend to unscrew due to precession. Even most Italian brands of bikes came with English BBs for decades before *ugh* press fit BBs became the standard.
Old 10-31-19, 01:14 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
If it's BSA threading, maybe there's a pipe tap close enough that may work as an EZ out?
Old 10-31-19, 01:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Makes sense. Italian BBs were abandoned many years ago as the drive side threads tend to unscrew due to precession. Even most Italian brands of bikes came with English BBs for decades before *ugh* press fit BBs became the standard.
It's a Japanese-made frame, so it would be British threaded.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-31-19, 01:54 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
One of these: https://www.amazon.com/Bon-Tool-24-5...2551258&sr=8-3 will cut hardened steel, albeit slowly. You may need more than one blade.
Or do the Dremel approach. I’d probably simply use a cylindrical grinding bit and get to it.
But probably not, since I have a welder. So I’d dig out a suitably sized piece of scrap metal and try to weld it in there, with enough protrusion to make it easy to grab and twist.
Old 10-31-19, 02:40 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by dabac
One of these: https://www.amazon.com/Bon-Tool-24-5...2551258&sr=8-3 will cut hardened steel, albeit slowly. You may need more than one blade.
Or do the Dremel approach. I’d probably simply use a cylindrical grinding bit and get to it.
But probably not, since I have a welder. So I’d dig out a suitably sized piece of scrap metal and try to weld it in there, with enough protrusion to make it easy to grab and twist.
Forgot about that approach. Then again, not everyone has a welding machine. An advantage of this, in addition to providing something to grab onto to turn, is that it hits the part with heat which may loosen things up.
Old 10-31-19, 03:34 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Probably be a good idea to check with local shops about chasing the BB threads after you
do get the piece out. Removal process likely to bugger at least some threads.
Old 10-31-19, 04:08 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Wait wait wait. I was IMing with another list member and he mentioned something I'd not thought of.

Before you get out the heavy artillery - is this a steel cup that broke off ? Or maybe it's aluminum or plastic ? Let's see a pic of what came out please.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 10-31-19, 04:20 PM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
There's something called an internal pipe wrench.

A normal pipe wrench will turn a pipe by digging into the outside of a pipe. An internal pipe wrench will grip the pipe from the inside. Size the internal pipe wrench to grip only the broken cup and unscrew it.

You can use some extra material as a shim, to get a smaller internal pipe wrench to grab a larger diameter pipe. Large internal pipe wrenches get expensive.

I've done it for a broken TA fixed cup.