Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Schwinn Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-19, 09:13 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Post a photo of the broken shifter; maybe someone will have an idea.

As said, hobby shop should have a color match, or you can try mixing your own from Testors primary / secondary colors.
Old 11-13-19, 09:22 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by roadbikeChris
What does that entail, just the handlebars? Excuse my lack of knowledge but I did look up the thread on the subject here....
No, basically none of your controls will work. If you are resourceful, such a conversion is not a big expense. Handlebars, handlebar tape, road brake levers, and shifters. Cheapest option is a set of used stem shifters. While not aesthetically pleasing, they work just fine. Bar end shifters are relatively expensive. I keep a stash of take off bar ends from prior bikes for this purpose.

I've done several of these conversions with parts out of the bin. North Road style bars allow you to reuse the shifters and brake levers, so that can be the cheapest option. Thumb shifters are pretty much bullet proof, so I am surprised you have a problem there.
Old 11-13-19, 10:18 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Post a photo of the broken shifter; maybe someone will have an idea.

As said, hobby shop should have a color match, or you can try mixing your own from Testors primary / secondary colors.
I say leave it as it is. Those thumb shifters are a pretty simple setup. A picture might help.
Old 11-18-19, 12:22 PM
kristos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How many speed is this?
Old 11-18-19, 12:25 PM
kristos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what year is it?
Old 11-26-19, 09:38 AM
roadbikeChris

Bikes: Fuji Tahoe, Schwinn Sierra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
I say leave it as it is. Those thumb shifters are a pretty simple setup. A picture might help.
Here is the broken and intact shifter.

Old 11-26-19, 09:46 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,221 Posts
Ok, as in snapped off.
Old 12-01-19, 01:37 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Um, looking at the pics, isn't it the rear shifter that's broken?

Gotta hit the pre-focus when doing close-ups like this. Or look for a macro / close-up (icon is usually a tulip) option.
Old 12-02-19, 12:29 PM
roadbikeChris

Bikes: Fuji Tahoe, Schwinn Sierra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Um, looking at the pics, isn't it the rear shifter that's broken?

Gotta hit the pre-focus when doing close-ups like this. Or look for a macro / close-up (icon is usually a tulip) option.
Yeah Its a bad pic and yes it is the rear shifter thats broken.
Old 07-27-20, 05:04 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Easy and cheap solution . Buy yourself spme sunrace friction thumb shifters. They are cheap and they work well.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 07-28-20, 08:26 PM
vintagebicycle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
The Sierra was third from the top of the line back then, that same year I bought a High Sierra, which came in all chrome. The bikes were similar but the High Sierra had a chromoly frame and a step up in components. The bad part was that they recalled that bike for chrome issues.
If it were me, I'd get a set of simple friction thumb shifters and two fresh cables and call it a day. Those bikes were built by Giant in Taiwan.
The chrome coming off those is common, its no big deal. A few buddies back then stripped off all of the paint on theirs and polished up the chrome, but not all of the chrome is perfect, I seem to recall the chrome around the bottom bracket and near some of the welds is a bit rough on some. But the good thing is they didn't sand or rough up the chrome before painting those, which has a lot to do with why its shedding paint so easily. One buddy actually stripped off 90% of the paint on his with a pressure washer after a muddy ride one day, all but the weld areas and a few under tube areas came right off. The chrome on that bike was pretty rough around the bottom bracket so he ended up spraying the BB, headtube, and seat lug area in black, leaving just chrome panels in between. It actually looked pretty good like that but the chrome areas were really hard to keep rust off of.