Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Club vs kid

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-19, 04:07 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Club vs kid

I’ll describe this incident for your consideration. (Street names included for those familiar with the area). I was driving south on Cherry Lane, into the low sun, approaching the CC Canal trail crossing. I’m always very careful here. On my right, getting ready to cross was a kid on a bike, maybe about 12 years old. So I stopped. Then I saw coming toward me a large group of cyclists, maybe about 25. The kid seemed confused so I stayed stopped. The lead cyclist was calling out something. She turned to her right onto the trail and the pack followed her. After they passed the kid and I stayed still for a few seconds and then he crossed. And I went on my way.

Thinking about this now I am really angry about that group of riders. Firstly, that pack had turned onto the path at speed that was very likely full of all kinds of pedestrians and other slow moving people. What were they thinking on a Saturday afternoon?Secondly, that kid on his bike got blown off by these “pros” and it wasn’t a positive experience. I hope he got home all right.
Old 11-09-19, 04:19 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
What's traffic signal or control does the trail crossing have? Streetview makes it look like a HAWK signal. Did the kid have the flashing lights? If not he may not have been ready to cross. In this case, the cycling group was fine to proceed into the intersection to make their turn. I usually refrain from judging cyclist speed as a pedestrian, because even low-speed looks very fast when stationary or moving at 2-3 mph on foot.

Was the path full of pedestrians and other slow moving people?

Here we have the Silver Comet where intersections are signalized with regular stoplights, hit the button and wait XX seconds for the change. Cyclists and pedestrians are not allowed to cross the roadway unless they are given the green walk signal, and motorists have a red light. Often motorists who have a clear green will stop and attempt to direct cyclists or pedestrians to cross against the signal.
Old 11-10-19, 05:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
glad you helped the young rider figure out what to do, meaning, just stay put & let the group ride thru
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-10-19, 10:49 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Maybe the kid will be inspired by the group's bicycles and speed? Or, maybe the kid didn't think much about the encounter once the group passed?

The good thing is the kid seems to have recognized that bigger and faster (a car or group of riders) should be approached with caution.