Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

Free Mavic 610 BB with SLX frame purchase

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Old 11-17-19, 08:17 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts

I promise the title isn't misleading. Some of you know me by now, I have a story behind everything. Big fan of full disclosure.

I bought this Razesa last year with a mish-mash of parts. I have a weird crush on velochrome frames and a secret romance with Spain. Got it here, rode it, didn't like it, sadface.jpg. Note the helical ridges on everything, suggesting the SLX sticker is legit. Light as hell, that's a good thing. Buuuuut....

I offered to trade for Ciocc another BF'er had nearer my optimal size, he noticed something obvious can't believe I missed... the fork. It had helical ridges inside the steer tube too, so I just assumed "yup, real deal". Shame on me.

No obvious wreck damage inside or out I can see, bike tracked straight and true when built up. No clear reason why the fork was replaced, other than maybe looking at the chainstay, it was possibly corroded.

So, here's what I'm offering:
  • An extremely light, straight and dent-free 22" x 22" (top tube x seat tube CTC) Razesa SLX frame with some chainstay corrosion, velochrome chipping , and paint defects.
  • Comes with a free bulletproof sealed Mavic 610 BB, the BB shell has a 45° chamfer on the 1st 2-3mm for that BB, but maybe you can use others?
  • Also comes with a free Tange fork which fits this frame, maybe the rifling in the steer tube will help suggest what grade of Tange it is?
  • Also comes with a free Kalloy seat post pictured (if you want it).
  • It looks like the 610 is lacking BB shims/washers; I didn't know this until I removed the BB tonight, and see they're gone, bike rode fine w/o them installed.
I'd like to get $160 shipped. SOLD!!!

Lots of pics to follow. Some potato quality. Sorry.

Last edited by francophile; 01-29-20 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-17-19, 08:17 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Old 11-17-19, 08:21 PM
yuoil 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, that's nice! Not my size, etc, of course.

What did you not like about the ride?
Old 11-17-19, 08:48 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by yuoil
What did you not like about the ride?
It was fun, responsive, fast. But mostly? It just didn't fit.

Reality is, I'm super-picky. If a bike doesn't fit close enough and/or doesn't put a smile on my face right off the bat, I'm critical, it's a turnoff. I put this one aside for months, tried to enjoy it a few times over spring and summer. It wasn't close enough to a couple of other bikes I have that instantly put smiles on my face the first ride to invest the effort into trying to fit when I'm normally a 59 CTC kinda guy. This is too far off the mark, so much that I wasn't willing to invest in a more stretchy cockpit, retaping bars, trying different seatposts and maybe tossing on slightly longer arms.

This could be someone's dream frame, just isn't for me.
Old 11-18-19, 07:08 AM
ramones71 

Bikes: 1980 Raleigh Competition G.S., 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Voyageur, 1982 Raleigh Superbe, 1983 Specialized Sequoia, 2002 Lemond Buenos Aires, 1998 Marin Eldridge Grade

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Dang that’s a smoking deal! Wish it were my size. If someone has a decent parts bin, that can make a super-light winter training fixie.
Old 11-18-19, 04:43 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 3,104 Times in 1,954 Posts
What's velochrome?

And it has a Cinelli bottom bracket shell...that's pretty legit...!

Cool frameset. I have been eying a Spanish (or Italian made), stripped Massi (which is advertised as a Bassi...the folks here helped me identify it) for about 6 months, but the seller was nonplussed about my offer. Zeus had some fun subcontracting work done as well.
Old 11-18-19, 04:56 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
OK. I'll bite, what in those photos tells me it's a Tange fork?
Old 11-18-19, 05:11 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
What's velochrome?
Sorry, chromovelato. If you haven't noticed yet, I have issues with names, sometimes with word recall. Long story dating back to single-digit ages playing tackle football on our street. When you're barely 4' tall, it's really stupid to try jumping up to tackle the 6'4 high school quarterback in your n'hood.

Originally Posted by Last ride 76
OK. I'll bite, what in those photos tells me it's a Tange fork?
The one I apparently forgot to add, although I've noticed the picture upload tool gets flaky when you upload more than 3-4 pics at a time with my config. Here:

Old 11-19-19, 04:23 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
What frame dimensions are you looking for in a possible trade?

And 56.5 on the Razesa = Seattube (ctc)? What do the top and headtube measure?
Old 11-19-19, 04:44 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by Wildwood
What frame dimensions are you looking for in a possible trade?

And 56.5 on the Razesa = Seattube (ctc)? What do the top and headtube measure?
Sorry, bad acronym. I meant CTT on the seat tube. I just corrected. Ugh. Really sorry there.

And as I'm walking down to measure, I see I cannot find my metric tape. I'll need to manage conversions with proper CTC. Looks to be 22" CTC on both ST and TT (55.9 if my math is correct). Head tube entry to exit is 5.625"

What I'm hunting for on trade ... That's always a tough question.

I usually aim for frames in the 58-60 CTC range. These days I'm enjoying relaxed geometry a lot more than racy, and anything that doesn't weigh a ton. Guess this means I'm getting old, that and my inability to type acronyms . I also don't like dealing with corrosion if possible to avoid, but don't mind spending hours polishing alloy and paint. I have a slant towards European bikes, but I also like those from smaller builders, especially American. I've been hunting a mid-80s Cannondale ST in my size just to give it a whirl. My absolute favorite bike that's come into my possession in recent years is a early-mid 90s Raleigh SP 1000 (this one actually) which is stickered from a store as 56cm on the BB yet when I measured I came up with 57 CTC and fits like a damn glove, it literally puts smiles on my face every ride.

So I guess the short answers would be: "Want something in my size" and "Don't want more wheelsets".
Old 11-19-19, 05:09 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by francophile
Sorry, bad acronym. I meant CTT on the seat tube. I just corrected. Ugh. Really sorry there.

And as I'm walking down to measure, I see I cannot find my metric tape. I'll need to manage conversions with proper CTC. Looks to be 22" CTC on both ST and TT (55.9 if my math is correct). Head tube entry to exit is 5.625"

What I'm hunting for on trade ... That's always a tough question.

I usually aim for frames in the 58-60 CTC range. These days I'm enjoying relaxed geometry a lot more than racy, and anything that doesn't weigh a ton. Guess this means I'm getting old, that and my inability to type acronyms . I also don't like dealing with corrosion if possible to avoid, but don't mind spending hours polishing alloy and paint. I have a slant towards European bikes, but I also like those from smaller builders, especially American. I've been hunting a mid-80s Cannondale ST in my size just to give it a whirl. My absolute favorite bike that's come into my possession in recent years is a early-mid 90s Raleigh SP 1000 (this one actually) which is stickered from a store as 56cm on the BB yet when I measured I came up with 57 CTC and fits like a damn glove, it literally puts smiles on my face every ride.

So I guess the short answers would be: "Want something in my size" and "Don't want more wheelsets".
Thanks - disregard my PM - the Razesa is too small for me. Was thinking my Zeus would like someone simpatico in the group.
Old 11-19-19, 05:33 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Thanks - disregard my PM - the Razesa is too small for me. Was thinking my Zeus would like someone simpatico in the group.
Yeah, it was listed as 57cm when I bought it. Partially why I thought I miiiiight be able to squeeze into it. But with its given geometry I was having issues. My back would kill me if I actually rode for any extended period of time.
Old 11-19-19, 05:54 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by francophile
Yeah, it was listed as 57cm when I bought it..... My back would kill me if I actually rode for any extended period of time.
My problem with a Frejus w/ short tt - it may get a remake with city type bars and more upright position.