Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New bike or fix up old?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

New bike or fix up old?

Old 01-06-20, 08:41 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
So maybe the Silicone spray may be best on the cables ? And grease the levers ?
I'll grease the cable barrels that go into the levers, I'll even grease the threads to a bolt that clamps a lever to a handlebar, but I do prefer oil on the lever pivot bolt. Those brake return springs aren't really strong and I like to keep the brake levers "snappy" in their return to home.

Silicone spray, I've never used that on cables so I can't speak properly on that. Maybe someone else here has long term experience with it?
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 01-06-20, 10:55 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Agree with fiftysix on things to lube vs grease. Grease can be good at catching and holding grit so grease doesn't work as well in unsealed moving objects like pivot points and sliding cables, it is great at keeping non-moving things that will eventually need to be moved free enough to do so. But really I'm a proponent of just switching to v-brakes, there aren't many old, or new cantis that came on bikes that are as light action with the same stopping power as a good modern v-brake. Yes cantis work but, better is still better, and newer less worn parts just tend to work better as well.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-07-20, 10:34 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts
About the greasing of cables , I watched a video on switching from cantis to V brakes and the guy on the video put a small amount of Park grease on a rag and wiped the new cables down before inserting them in the brake housing .
Using the Silicone spray lubricant was my idea . It’s thin and doesn’t gum up .
I’ve ordered a set of Tektro mini V brakes to try on my Crisscross. Along with an inexpensive new rear wheel and freewheel.
Since the Crosscut is doing pretty good with what I’ve done to it so far , I’m going to upgrade the CrissCross first .
I want a new Hybrid, but I’m afraid I couldn’t match the fit and feel of my Schwinn Cross bikes .
Thanks for all of the suggestions, they only reinforce me upgrading my old bikes .
Old 01-11-20, 10:30 AM
OldCruiser

Almost finished with the Schwinn CrissCross .
new saddle , platform pedals, Riser bars , stem, cables, 3x7 Shimano trigger shifters with V-brake brake levers to go with the V-brake conversion .
The V-brakes are great . Easy pull and will lock the wheels if I needed to,
Turned out to be a nice riding bike .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 01-11-20 at 11:12 AM.
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 01-11-20, 10:32 AM
OldCruiser

I know the cables look long , but I wanted to make sure nothing would bind . They don’t bother me . Better too long than too short .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 01-13-20, 08:47 AM
OldCruiser

Ordered a new set of wheels this morning to go on one of the Schwinns . Wheels will take a 8,9,10 speed cassette . Or I’m guessing a 7 speed with a spacer .
Question is since I’ve already invested in new seven speed shifters , should I stick with a 7 speed cassette? Or but new shifters and go with 8 speed cassette?
The 7 speed shifters could go on another build I plan on using the old wheels on .
What advantage would an 8 speed cassette give me over the 7?
Seems like all of the 8 speed stuff is more expensive.
Edit : right now I’m leaning toward staying with a seven speed cassette with a spacer and going with a 12-32 .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 01-13-20 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-13-20, 01:21 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
In general, I think 7- and 8-speed parts are about the same price, comparing items of similar quality. They both use the same chains. Shifters are pretty similar in price. 7-speed cassettes and 8-speed cassettes are both in the $15-20 range depending on where you buy them. Generally, an 8-speed setup will offer more range than a 7-speed setup, or will offer closer-spaced gears. You can get 12-32 cassettes in either 7-speed or 8-speed, but the 8-speed cassette uses one additional sprocket to traverse that range, so the gear ratio jump between each sprocket will be a bit smaller. This is generally felt as smoother shifts and less disruption in your pedaling cadence. That's the "closer-spaced" gears aspect. The "more range" aspect means you can very commonly find an 11-34 8-speed cassette, but 7-speed cassettes generally top out at 32 teeth. This is because, due to the smaller number of sprockets, the gear ratio jump between gears becomes prohibitively large with much larger sprockets than 32. At least that's the theory.

One mechanical advantage offered by the 7-speed design is the wheel dish doesn't have to be as severe as with 8/9/10 speed. Since you're not able to take advantage of that (because you're using an 8/9/10 speed freehub), and since you say you can use the 7-speed shifter on another project, I'd probably buy 8-speed parts. If you have a mixed fleet of older and newer, you could make the argument to stop at 8-speed, and not cross over into 9- and 10-speed stuff because the chains are different with 9-speed and the chains and derailleurs are different with 10-speed (at least with Shimano MTB DynaSys). But parts for 7- and 8-speed drivetrains are pretty similar. I see little compelling reason to stay with 7 speeds if you're using an 8/9/10 speed freehub.
Old 01-13-20, 02:46 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Ordered a new set of wheels this morning to go on one of the Schwinns . Wheels will take a 8,9,10 speed cassette . Or I’m guessing a 7 speed with a spacer .
Question is since I’ve already invested in new seven speed shifters , should I stick with a 7 speed cassette? Or but new shifters and go with 8 speed cassette?
The 7 speed shifters could go on another build I plan on using the old wheels on .
What advantage would an 8 speed cassette give me over the 7?
Seems like all of the 8 speed stuff is more expensive.
Edit : right now I’m leaning toward staying with a seven speed cassette with a spacer and going with a 12-32 .
Um, go to straight to 9?

Nowadays, 9 speed spidered cassettes are still available, whereas 8 sp spidered cassettes are long gone; so if you want lightweight stuff, go 9 sp and buy accordingly. Shifters are a little better and chains have more nicer options also. Deore pods are a bit better than the 8sp A-level parts. 9 speed also has more gear ratios available.

If my hub can take it, I run 8 speed because my favorite ****ers (XT thumb shifters) can run 8. If it were not for that, I would be going straight to 9. For my 7 sp rigs, I like to run 7 cogs out of 8 so I can mix and match my gears. 12-26, for example from two different cassettes. SRAM 850 is good for mixing and matching cogs as they come apart easily and come in several combinations.

I'd say go 9. If not, go 8. 7 is too gappy or limited in range. 8 is better, but 9 is a sweet spot.
Old 01-13-20, 02:53 PM
OldCruiser

Thanks for the info.
Going 8 speed would cost me approximately another $75-$80 . $43 for the shifter/brake levers , 8 speed cassettes are $20 and up .
Using the 7 speed shifters/brake levers I’ve already purchased , I only had to buy the cassette and spacer which was about $20 total .
With the V-brake conversion , new tires , saddle , handlebars , stem , etc , I’m getting close to the point where I would have been better off buying a new Specialized Sirrus V-brake .
But , I’ve enjoyed renovating the Schwinns .
As far the advantages of the 8 speed . I rarely use anything past fifth gear on my present seven speed rear wheel . Going with a 12-32 will give me a little better hill climbing ability. I’ll mostly ride in 2-5 gears no matter which cassette.
Old 01-13-20, 02:56 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Um, go to straight to 9?

Nowadays, 9 speed spidered cassettes are still available, whereas 8 sp spidered cassettes are long gone; so if you want lightweight stuff, go 9 sp and buy accordingly. Shifters are a little better and chains have more nicer options also. Deore pods are a bit better than the 8sp A-level parts. 9 speed also has more gear ratios available.

If my hub can take it, I run 8 speed because my favorite ****ers (XT thumb shifters) can run 8. If it were not for that, I would be going straight to 9. For my 7 sp rigs, I like to run 7 cogs out of 8 so I can mix and match my gears. 12-26, for example from two different cassettes. SRAM 850 is good for mixing and matching cogs as they come apart easily and come in several combinations.

I'd say go 9. If not, go 8. 7 is too gappy or limited in range. 8 is better, but 9 is a sweet spot.
not sure 9 would fit without stretching the frame.

Last edited by OldCruiser; 01-13-20 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-13-20, 02:58 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

not sure 9 would fit without stretching the rearend.
9 speed cassettes are the same width as 8 sp ones.
Old 01-13-20, 04:26 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
9 speed cassettes are the same width as 8 sp ones.
Wow , now you’ve really got me to thinking and that can’t be good .
Old 01-13-20, 06:47 PM
hokiefyd 

Yes, 9- or 10-speed cassettes also fit on an 8-speed freehub (you noted this in your post where you said you bought wheels for 8, 9, or 10 speeds). These all use the same freehub body, so you can go up to 10 speeds without frame or wheel modification. 9-speed would require a 9-speed chain and a 9-speed shifter. 10-speed would require a 10-speed chain, a 10-speed shifter, a 10-speed derailleur if you're doing index shifting, and possibly different chain rings (if they don't play nicely with the narrow 10-speed chain). You shouldn't have any problems like that with 9-speed.
Old 01-13-20, 07:51 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Yes, 9- or 10-speed cassettes also fit on an 8-speed freehub (you noted this in your post where you said you bought wheels for 8, 9, or 10 speeds). These all use the same freehub body, so you can go up to 10 speeds without frame or wheel modification. 9-speed would require a 9-speed chain and a 9-speed shifter. 10-speed would require a 10-speed chain, a 10-speed shifter, a 10-speed derailleur if you're doing index shifting, and possibly different chain rings (if they don't play nicely with the narrow 10-speed chain). You shouldn't have any problems like that with 9-speed.
Sounds like the possibility of issues , along with a lot of new equipment to buy .
I’m sticking with a 7 speed cassette with a spacer . That’ll work with with everything I’ve already bought and replaced .
Would have preferred to have bought a 7 speed wheelset with Shimano hubs but I haven’t seen them . I found some 7 speed freewheel rear wheels , but not Shimano hubs .
Hope the ones I ordered work out without too much trouble . If I can duplicate the gearing I have on the Crisscross now , I'll be happy .
Old 01-14-20, 03:43 PM
DorkDisk

not sure 9 would fit without stretching the frame.
Frame spacing is one thing, and the rear hub spacing is another. If you have a 130mm frame, you will need to spread the rear for a 135mm wheel to fit, or use a 130mm road hub. 7 sp came in 130mm and 135mm for MTBs, and 126mm and 130mm for road. IIRC, 7 speed freewheel bikes were limited to 130mm, that seemed to be the limit before they broke easily. I think your bike had a freewheel originally so it might be 130mm. If its 135, you’re set.

7 speed only freehubs had a built in spacer, so there is nothing special about having one, they haven’t been made since the mid 90’s. A removable spacer is much more versatile.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 01-14-20, 04:01 PM
OldCruiser

From what I’ve read , the Cross bikes have 135 rear spacing . I hope it’s right . Looking at 8 speed options.
Old 01-14-20, 04:53 PM
OldCruiser

Ok , going with 8 speed . Had to order shifters and 8 speed cassette. Went with 11-30 . Old 7 speed is 12-28 according to Schwinn specs .
New Derailleur is long MTB and should be fine with 8 speed from what Ive read .
I understand 7and 8 speeds are same spacing , so with the 8 speed , I won’t need a spacer .
Going to be one sweet ride when I finish with it . It better be . Lot of work , but it’s enjoyable work .
Old 01-14-20, 07:45 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Going 8 speed would cost me approximately another $75-$80 . $43 for the shifter/brake levers , 8 speed cassettes are $20 and up .
You can go 9 speed for the same money:Total: $55, $60 after tax. You may need to add $20-25 for a new rear derailleur if the 7s one does not work well with 9s.
Wow , now you’ve really got me to thinking and that can’t be good .
Probably I am too late.
Thanks for the info.
As far the advantages of the 8 speed . I rarely use anything past fifth gear on my present seven speed rear wheel . Going with a 12-32 will give me a little better hill climbing ability. I’ll mostly ride in 2-5 gears no matter which cassette.
If you do not use some large cogs, you can get a cassette with smaller cogs with closer spacing between them. There are more choices for 8s or 9s cassettes compared to 7s.
Likes For csport:
Old 01-14-20, 08:26 PM
OldCruiser

Already ordered the 8 speed stuff .
With the closer spacing of the cogs on 9 speed , I read it can be finicky shifting . That’s what I’m trying to rid myself of . The 7 speed stuff works , but sometimes slips and doesn’t want to upshift even though the cogs look pretty good .
With all new gearing , I hope it’s going to shift like butter .
BTW , for less than $200 more than what Ive spent , I could have bought that new Sirrus V-brake . With a warranty . But I would have missed out on the fun of fixing up my old Cross bikes . And they are fun to ride .
When I’m asked why I have so many bikes , I say it’s cheaper than collecting cars .
Old 01-15-20, 06:47 AM
hokiefyd 

When I’m asked why I have so many bikes , I say it’s cheaper than collecting cars .
I'm a car guy at heart, but I have no desire to have the money or space required to do that hobby right. Bikes are a good analog for me, and a healthier hobby as well.

9-speed stuff shifts pretty well in my experience. The sprocket spacing is narrower than 7- and 8-speed, but so is the chain. In theory, there is less room for error as the spacing gets tighter, but I haven't found it to be unreasonably sensitive to cable adjustment or alignment or anything like that. I have thought about moving my main 9-speed bike back to 8-speed, if only for the redundancy in chains and quick links (most of my bikes are either 7- or 8-speed). I wouldn't spend the money on moving back unless or until I need to replace something.
Old 01-15-20, 08:05 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I'm a car guy at heart, but I have no desire to have the money or space required to do that hobby right. Bikes are a good analog for me, and a healthier hobby as well.

9-speed stuff shifts pretty well in my experience. The sprocket spacing is narrower than 7- and 8-speed, but so is the chain. In theory, there is less room for error as the spacing gets tighter, but I haven't found it to be unreasonably sensitive to cable adjustment or alignment or anything like that. I have thought about moving my main 9-speed bike back to 8-speed, if only for the redundancy in chains and quick links (most of my bikes are either 7- or 8-speed). I wouldn't spend the money on moving back unless or until I need to replace something.
i still love cars , but not the up keep .
I sold my 1987 Convertable Mustang GT last year . I was the third owner , it was a garage queen . Owned it five years and only put 1100 miles on it . Would only drive it when the weather was top down weather . The Transmission started slipping on me because of sitting in the garage. I left it go rather than putting more money into it . Turned out to be an $8 part .
it made room so I could add a couple bikes and have room to work on them again .
I have a few frames I’d picked up at yardsales , but only have 8 bikes that I could air up and ride . Not a big collection, but something I enjoy tinkering with and riding .
Being in my late 60’s and overweight, it’s good exercise for me .
I try to build them or I guess the term might be adjust , to be as comfortable to ride as possible.
My old Schwinn Cross bikes have become the most comfortable for longer rides and they fit .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 01-15-20 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-16-20, 02:37 PM
OldCruiser

I knew it !
With all I’ve spent fixing up my Schwinns, both time and money , I can’t seem get the thought of buying a new Sirrus V-brake out of my mind .
After all , as long as there’s space in the garage , there’s room for one more . Right ?
At least I have most of another week to think about it , before I can get away to go look at them . And it’s supposed to turn cold around here this weekend.
Now , If I sell my fishing boat this spring, that I haven’t used in two years , I could fit all of my bikes on one side of the garage . And use the other side as a workshop . Hmmmm .
Old 01-19-20, 08:53 PM
OldCruiser

The new wheels showed up . The Shimano hubs are and rims can be used with disc brakes or rim brakes .
Got me to thinking and you know that can’t be good .
Since it has an 8,9, 10 speed freehub and my Rockhopper is disc brake with 8 speed cassette, 135 width , I’m thinking of setting the new wheels up with some 700x40c tires for the Rockhopper.
The Schwinn is a 7 speed and the wheels seem pretty good on it . I’ll just change out the cassette, along with a new chain and see if that improves the shifting. I already have the new cassette and a new KMC chain .
I just need some 50 degree weather and time to work on them both .
I’m anxious to see how the Rockhopper does with smaller , lighter tires on it .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 01-30-20, 05:23 PM
OldCruiser

Spent a good part of today fixing up my Schwinn Crosscut.
Went 3x8 with a 11-32 cassette on my new wheels , new shifters ,New brake levers , switched the cantilever brakes over to V-brakes ,
I’ve got to mount the new tire and install the new front wheel and swap out the pedals if I can get the old ones off .
The bike rides and shifts like a new bike .,
I'm glad I fixed up my two old Schwinn Hybrids instead of buying a new bike .
Likes For OldCruiser: