Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Timing chain tension

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Timing chain tension

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-20, 01:55 PM
72andsunny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Timing chain tension

Carbonfiberboy pointed outs a lot of chain noise in my other thread. As stated there, it’s mostly from the rear disc; however, while chasing a creak that I was sure was one or more bottom brackets but has turned out to be the thudbuster ST seatpost, I’ve noticed that I’m getting some grinding from the chain rings. It goes away if I greatly loosen the timing chain. Park Tool says my chain has not stretched. So my question is: how loose is too loose? In the video, the first part is at its tightest in the revolution, then its loosest, then pedaling backward, then forward.

Is it time for new chainrings? I believe I’m on a second chain, but the timing rings are original as far as I remember. I don’t think I’ve ever rotated them.

Sorry to be clogging up this forum. I’ve got nothing to do until the quad gets here...

Old 02-05-20, 03:24 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
That looks looser than I ever had them when I used chains for timing. I think the recommendation is usually 1/2-1" deflection. I’d go ahead and swap timing rings between front and back, and try to get the tension fairly uniform over a full pedal rotation in the process, and see if it quiets down at all. Do the rings appear to be worn at all?
Old 02-05-20, 09:00 PM
72andsunny

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks! I switched the rings. Much, much smoother now. At least riding solo. I need to place an ad on Craigslist for a more reliable stoker.