Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Handcycle question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-20, 01:02 PM
tjjkjeepguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Handcycle question

Hello everyone,

I've been looking at getting a hand cycle and have come across some used models. I know new they can be customized to different body types and conditions and would like to see if anyone here knows first hand on what to look for in regards to body type. I was born with scoliosis that caused all sorts of havoc with my body. I am very short, 4'11", but have very long arms (27" from fingertip to shoulder). I was wondering with such a short body and long arms if it would cause an issue with certain handcycles. I would love to get something that could be used in some races at some point.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-20, 05:30 AM
SFC Rod
Hand-cyclist

Bikes: Invacare Top End Force 2 Hand-Cycle, Invacare Top End Eliminator Racing Chair

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Something reclining maybe...

With those long arms, a racer like a Force-R or RX might work for you. With your height you will have to have the stirrups all the way in and you'll probably be able to see well by looking under the crank. I'm 5'2" and I don't see so well because I'm staring right at the crank, so I have to cran my neck to look around it. Since I like to be able to see the road, I ended up with a Force 2. Your back may appreciate the laying back of the R over sitting up in the Force 2.