Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Paramount T-19

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Paramount T-19

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-19, 05:27 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Paramount T-19

My wife and I ride an alloy frame Santana Sovereign, but I've wanted to find and restore/refurbish a more vintage steel-frame tandem. Recently acquired this T-19 (more pictures are on the vintage thread here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-features.html ).

Anyone have experience riding these? I've heard they have a "whippy" feel for the stoker. My wife--our stoker--does fine with our Santana. Initial measurements indicate this bike will fit us fine (I'm 6' and 195 lbs; she's 5' and 100 lbs) but haven't gotten her on it yet. The road bars for the stoker aren't original to the bike and she rides with flat bars on our tandem, but preliminary measurements look positive and once it's up and running we'll ride a bit before making changes to fit. I have some concerns about the brakes, particularly the rear brakes with the cable taking alot of turns in its routing, so any tips on minimizing cable friction there would be appreciated (updating that to a stainless cable in a lined cable housing). It apparently had a Phil Wood drum brake at one point but that is gone and I'm not planning to put another drum brake on (we won't be screaming down any mountains on this--more for greenway riding where we don't take the Santana).

Planning to swap out that TA 54t-48t-28t crankset to a TA 50t-38t-30t which I have on hand, and it will be getting kool stop salmon pads front and Scott Mathauser salmon & vent finned superbrake pads in the back.

This is a project "in progress" for awhile so suggestions are welcome!
Old 12-30-19, 01:40 PM
Carbonello

Bikes: Team Scandium/ Sovereign

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Paramount tandem new in 1979. Yes the frame was very flexible compared to modern bikes. I had Phil brakes, they did not stop well. Had Campy triple crossover Beautiful crankset.
Old 12-31-19, 01:58 PM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
What bike stand is that in the photo? How do you like it?

Last edited by unikid; 12-31-19 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Clarify question