Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help! Specialized Ariel Disc or Specialized Ariel Sport????which do I get?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 12:38 PM
Helsbels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all.

Just looking at getting a new bike. Never really owned a decent bike and I'm really liking the Specialized Ariel Disc and Ariel Sport.
Have tried the Ariel disk and it was lovely, super smoothe but not been able to try the Sport.
Sport is 250 more and I'm not 100% how much differance there is.

Appreciate your help and guidance.
Thanks so much
Hels x
Old 05-16-19, 07:51 PM
EGBigelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
At first I didn't see much difference. But looking at the specs, the Sport has better components, and comes with hydraulic brakes versus the mechanical disc brakes on the non Sport model. The non Sport has three chain rings in the front, and the Sport two.

The Sport has different handle bars too, and puts you in a different riding position. I think the Sport is marketed towards being used as a fitness bike, and the non sport model is a little more relaxed.

For me, the hydraulic brakes would win me over. Once I had hydraulic brakes I never wanted to go back. And I would prefer the better derailleurs and double chain rings in the front of the Sport over the triple chain rings on the non Sport.

You'll for sure need to try out the Sport to see if you feel a difference or if it's less comfortable. If it's not a night and day difference, the non Sport will be fine, and save you a good chunk of money for things like a helmet, lights and a nice rack and bag to go with it,.
Old 05-17-19, 06:11 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I like the hydraulic disc model myself (not the Sport, but the Hydraulic Disc). It comes with a 3x front crankset, but still has hydraulic discs, which I think you'll find much nicer than mechanical discs. I'm not a huge fan of the 2x systems like on the Sport model. It has a 32T chain ring and a 48T chain ring. That's a pretty wide gap, and most of my riding is right smack in the middle of that (on a 38T chain ring). My main hybrid has a 28-38-48 front crankset, and I rarely ride in my 48, and I rarely ride in my 28. The Ariel's 32-48 would be a pretty awkward setup for me, personally. The 32 would be too low for much of my riding, but I'd want a smaller chain ring for the really slow stuff (steep hills). And the 48 would be okay for some of my riding, but probably too large for much of it, so I'd either be in the big-big combination, or I'd have to switch between chain rings more often than necessary. I've tried some 2x setups, but I really prefer the flexibility of the 3x.
Old 05-18-19, 05:40 AM
Helsbels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys thanks for the reply.

Yeah its the hydraulic disc Ariel disc bike I'm looking at at not the mechanical one.

Had a chat to the people in the bike shop and because I'm not riding they dont think I'd notice any differance at all so decide to go for the Ariel disc instead of the sport.
Fingers crossed i dont regret it now Haha.