Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Will shedding 1lb of belly fat have the same results as taking 1lb off my bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-17, 10:20 AM
kmcentee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like new gear as much as the next guy but the heaviest thing on my bike is me. Taking a pound there is a lot cheaper than taking a pound off the bike. Will the impact on my climbing be the same?
Old 08-28-17, 10:23 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Probably depends on where you're shedding weight from the bike.
Old 08-28-17, 10:24 AM
sanmi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It will probably have a greater impact than losing weight from the bike because you'll lenkely gain strength and endurance at the same time!
Old 08-28-17, 10:28 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
But you won't have the pleasure of riding a lighter bike. Forget about speed differences. No matter how much weight you lose personally, lighter bikes are more fun to ride than heavier ones. BOOM!

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-28-17, 10:33 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Probably depends on where you're shedding weight from the bike.

+1 If you left off the back tire- definitely not the same.
Old 08-28-17, 10:40 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
Apples and oranges.

if I offered you two identical bikes to ride right now, with the only difference being that one had an additional weight in the frame, the lighter bike would be faster.

If the question was "what can I do to be faster a month from now?", you could be even faster still by losing weight on your body.

Ideally, you will train hard, lose weight, AND have a bike that hits a sweet spot between light/aero/and suited to your needs. But there is seldom, if ever a situation where there is a genuine choice between losing weight or riding a lighter bike. Do both.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Last edited by bbbean; 08-28-17 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-28-17, 10:45 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3200 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
But you won't have the pleasure of riding a lighter bike. Forget about speed differences. No matter how much weight you lose personally, lighter bikes are more fun to ride than heavier ones. BOOM!
True.

The only trick is not to go so light that you break it!
Old 08-28-17, 10:48 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
To directly answer the OP, for steady speed climbing, a pound is a pound. Doesn't matter where it comes from. At all.
Old 08-28-17, 10:52 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
If you can tell the difference between a full and empty water bottle or two ...

FWIW, I have found a 10 pound loss is equivalent to being able to ride up an 8% grade in the next highest gear. (This doesn't deconvolve weight loss from strength gain, but since I am 54, I think it is primarily weight loss.)
Old 08-28-17, 10:56 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sanmi
It will probably have a greater impact than losing weight from the bike because you'll lenkely gain strength and endurance at the same time!
I think this is the best answer, because if you worked hard to lose the pound, that will make you faster than taking a pound off the bike.
Old 08-28-17, 10:58 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
More than taking a pound off the bike.

You will be more aero!
Old 08-28-17, 11:06 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
To directly answer the OP, for steady speed climbing, a pound is a pound. Doesn't matter where it comes from. At all.
Untrue, because it ignores the physiological l effect of fat on your body.

The human body is only 18-23 percent efficient cycling. The other 75 plus percent goes to heat that has to be dissapated.

Take fat off your body and your heat dissapation improves.

So lose a pound off your body and climbing improves 3 ways; the power needed for a given speed is less; the heat produced is less, and you better dissapate the heat produced (which increases the power you can sustain). Loosing a pound off the bike only gets 2 of 3

And as stated above, lose the pound off your body by better training and diet, and your power will also increase ( excepting that .1 percent of the population already at or below their ideal cycling weight)

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 08-28-17 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-28-17, 11:12 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
More than taking a pound off the bike.

You will be more aero!
Forgot that one. But if you run the models, like kruezotter, it does make a difference aerodynamically that is measurable in speed.
Old 08-28-17, 11:17 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Forgot that one. But if you run the models, like kruezotter, it does make a difference aerodynamically that is measurable in speed.
As someone who is working on losing his "3rd bike" worth of weight, 1 lbs is not noticeable, but 5 sure as hell is!
Old 08-28-17, 11:33 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by sanmi
You don’t gain strength and endurance by eating less.

Most people lose muscle when they lose weight. That’s why race cyclists don’t try to lose weight in season, and it’s why body builders eat until they’re tired of eating. Muscle tissue is metabolically expensive, to build and to maintain, so your body does not want to invest in it unnecessarily, especially in lean times. You can gain muscle on a calorie deficit, but it takes work and attention to your diet. Much easier to get stronger at the same weight.

Also, most people who lose weight gain it back. Most bikes that lose weight do not.
Old 08-28-17, 11:38 AM
Seattle Forrest

This is actually a lot more important than people realize. Heat dissipation is why a man can run a marathon faster than a horse can. We don’t have (much) body hair. Only dogs can out (distance) run us, and only in the cold.

On that note, the fittest humans on Earth are Nordic skiers, with VO2max as high as 100 ml/kg/min. One of the dogs running the Iditarod Trail was tested at 240! Puts a thoroughbred horse to shame.
Old 08-28-17, 11:51 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
This is actually a lot more important than people realize. Heat dissipation is why a man can run a marathon faster than a horse can. We don’t have (much) body hair. Only dogs can out (distance) run us, and only in the cold.

On that note, the fittest humans on Earth are Nordic skiers, with VO2max as high as 100 ml/kg/min. One of the dogs running the Iditarod Trail was tested at 240! Puts a thoroughbred horse to shame.
Is this actually true??

edit: Hrmm. It's certainly possible anyway: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_versus_Horse_Marathon

I'd be curious about more info on it. The wikipedio entry notes times of nearly 2 hrs flat...that's basically world class marathon speed. Were these seriously trained racing horses...or just, a horse?

Last edited by Abe_Froman; 08-28-17 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-28-17, 12:00 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by kmcentee
I like new gear as much as the next guy but the heaviest thing on my bike is me. Taking a pound there is a lot cheaper than taking a pound off the bike. Will the impact on my climbing be the same?
More when you're climbing out of the saddle because that means less energy spent lifting your center of gravity.

The same climbing seated.
Old 08-28-17, 12:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18493 Post(s)
Liked 15,790 Times in 7,415 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Apples and oranges.
Which weighs more: 1 lb. of apples or 1 lb. of oranges?
Old 08-28-17, 12:02 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
More when you're climbing out of the saddle because that means less energy spent lifting your center of gravity.

The same climbing seated.
I don't think that really comes into play. More weight lifted just means more potential energy created. It will just be transferred back to the pedals. No power gained or lost.
Old 08-28-17, 12:09 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Is this actually true??

edit: Hrmm. It's certainly possible anyway: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_versus_Horse_Marathon

I'd be curious about more info on it. The wikipedio entry notes times of nearly 2 hrs flat...that's basically world class marathon speed. Were these seriously trained racing horses...or just, a horse?
The foot and hoof race that pits humans against horses - CNN
Old 08-28-17, 12:15 PM
cruiserhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Only on the internet could this be a valid debate. Hilarious!

The bike has nothing to do with how fast you are.
You loose weight and slim down, and it's going to make you a faster cyclist. Real, measurable gains that are huge in comparison to any theoretical marketing hyperbole.
Loosing fat weight is not a end, it's a by-product of becoming fit.

Ignore the bike because, as any fred on a Venge will tell you, marketing hype doesn't make you any faster.

Spend money and energy on your body. You will get huge benefits from it.

This--> 100%
Untrue, because it ignores the physiological l effect of fat on your body.

The human body is only 18-23 percent efficient cycling. The other 75 plus percent goes to heat that has to be dissapated.

So lose a pound off your body and climbing improves 3 ways; the power needed for a given speed is less; the heat produced is less, and you better dissapate the heat produced (which increases the power you can sustain). Loosing a pound off the bike only gets 2 of 3

And as stated above, lose the pound off your body by better training and diet, and your power will also increase ( excepting that .1 percent of the population already at or below their ideal cycling weight)
Old 08-28-17, 12:15 PM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I was going to say "how dare you give a simple answer and deny the 41 of arguing over this serious question!!!"
...but alas, I can see I would have been wrong.
Old 08-28-17, 12:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

Is this actually true??

Yes it’s actually true. Everybody knows horses are fast runners, so it seems crazy. But they’re not distance runners. We are. A horse will win a 5K every time and lose a 50K (which is an ultra) every time.

The race you linked to, sometimes humans run it faster than horses, and it’s not even a full marathon.
Old 08-28-17, 12:23 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I don't think that really comes into play. More weight lifted just means more potential energy created. It will just be transferred back to the pedals. No power gained or lost.
nope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.