Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Combining Cycling/ Running

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 07-22-20, 04:58 PM
littleArnold

Bikes: Trek, Schwinn, Huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I was thinking of starting a biking / running exercise program minus the swimming to lose weight and improve physical fitness

I started biking again this summer to lose weight I put on during the year, usually I just bike but this year I was thinking of trying to maybe try jogging twice a week. I am about 85 lbs overweight. I can ride my hybrid at a 14 mph clip and been riding it 20-30 miles everyday, but I really suck at jogging ... I can't even jog 1 mile lol. I was thinking of slowly incorporating some jogging into my workout program for variety and to get to the point where I can at least jog 1-2 miles without stopping. I walked/ jogged 3 miles today. But this was jogging for about 20 yards, then fast walking, then jogging another 20 yards, fast walking, another 20 yards, etc did that for about 3 miles. My calves kept cramping up and giving out lol. I use to be able to run 3 miles in 21 minutes in high school and run a mile in 6 minutes or less when I did cross country way back then... I also weighed only 120 lbs back then... now I am 215 lbs

So I was wondering on how to crossgrain the two together to get best results. I am not really looking for running to improve my bike speed, but rather help with my overall physical fitness and weight loss and also to mix it up a little so I am not just cycling all the time.
Old 07-23-20, 10:02 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
Not really sure what you’re asking here. Sounds like you just want to exercise more for general fitness and weigh loss. So if you feel like running...run. If you feel like riding the bike...ride. Just do it all more frequently than you had been previously.

Dan
Old 08-14-20, 06:30 AM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
I have been running for a while and am now running less and riding more. I still do both.

For running, I like run / walk programs. Jeff Galloway is a proponent of run / walk. He states that people make a mistake going out and running at a constant pace for miles. Instead, break it up. Start with more walking and less running and gradually increase the running. I used this method to run a half marathon. You can google Jeff Galloway and find material on his run / walk programs and philosophies.

When running, it is also important to work on form. I like to focus on soft knees when I run. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis so I have to be protective of my joints. Carrying a bit of extra weight is another reason to be very careful with joints.

I am a believer in diverse exercise programs. I believe that doing too much of anything is sub-optimal.

Make sure you listen to your body. Be very careful of chronic pain. Especially sharp pain. Work up slowly.
Old 08-25-20, 01:38 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
FWIW, there are 215lb people who can run 1:45 and quicker 1/2 marathons as part of a 1/2 Ironman. So, yeah. I don't think that's an issue if you do it right.

Research Galloway or the "BarryP" run plans. Good places to start for multisports and running.
Old 08-29-20, 11:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Cyclocross racing is a combination of cycling and running,
... if the hill is steep, rather than put it in a granny gear and fall behind,

racers throw the bike over their shoulder and run up the hill ..

Likes For fietsbob: