Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What can the E-assist option bring for bicycle touring.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What can the E-assist option bring for bicycle touring.

Old 07-24-16, 03:15 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I've seen plenty of electric motor bikes here, but only one that appeared to be touring. The rest seemed like people just out for a ride, some with a pannier or two, and others just blasting along. I have no problem with anyone using them for whatever reason they desire. Thankfully they are not present at any of the campgrounds I've stayed at. Maybe hotels are their thing. If you can't get up the energy to push pedals, sleeping in a tent is probably also not something you are willing to suffer through.
We saw plenty of them on campgrounds too.

Can't see what the issue would be with e-bike tourists on campgrounds...
Old 07-24-16, 03:17 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
I've seen plenty of electric motor bikes here, but only one that appeared to be touring. The rest seemed like people just out for a ride, some with a pannier or two, and others just blasting along. I have no problem with anyone using them for whatever reason they desire. Thankfully they are not present at any of the campgrounds I've stayed at. Maybe hotels are their thing. If you can't get up the energy to push pedals, sleeping in a tent is probably also not something you are willing to suffer through.
And how does that affect what you are doing?
Old 07-24-16, 03:17 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
A legal E-Assist bike is not considered a motorized vehicle so it could be ridden down any trail, even with a sign that says no motor vehicles ... You obviously fail to understand what an legal E-Assist bicycle really is...

Enjoy and have fun!
Old 07-24-16, 03:30 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
And how does that affect what you are doing?
Makes no difference to me. Just don't want them coming over and talking about batteries and motors.
Old 07-24-16, 03:40 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Man, it's so funny I'm actually having a good laugh. It's like you just stepped back into the first page of the thread and missed the 327 posts where we sorted all that out. I don't want to accuse anyone of being lazy for not reading but...
Old 07-24-16, 03:51 PM
BigAura

Old 07-24-16, 04:01 PM
BigAura

Makes no difference to me. Just don't want them coming over and talking about batteries and motors.
+1 Bicycles are human powered and so is bicycle touring. eBikes have a forum ALSO and electric vehicles have a forum. AND motor-bike touring has a forum.

Last edited by BigAura; 07-24-16 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-24-16, 04:01 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts

They probably would have the same fears about hearing about the virtues of the Surly Troll or Disc Trucker

Last edited by Doug64; 07-24-16 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-24-16, 04:06 PM
NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Man, it's so funny I'm actually having a good laugh. It's like you just stepped back into the first page of the thread and missed the 327 posts where we sorted all that out. I don't want to accuse anyone of being lazy for not reading but...
I think the only thing that's been "sorted out" here is that the whole topic of e-bikes is controversial, at least here on the "bicycle touring" forum. It's become obvious that any attempted discussion of bikes with motors will always end up getting derailed by people who feel that they don't belong here. There is a push by some who think that they should just be accepted by everybody, but there is an equal push back from others who just don't want it here. There will always be people who see a motor on a bicycle and conclude that the rider is just being lazy. And there will always be others who see e-bike technology as enabling those with disabilities. The only thing that has been established beyond a doubt is that this is a topic that is as polarizing as bicycle helmets. I'm sure this thread will eventually get locked, same as the previous ones, so that (to me at least) is evidence enough for the view that perhaps e-bike discussions would be best conducted over on the e-bike forum. Even if you think that e-bikes are just fine for touring, is it really worth all the hassle of fighting and bickering every time it's brought up here?

Neil
Old 07-24-16, 04:21 PM
BigAura

Originally Posted by neilgunton
e-bike discussions would be best conducted over on the e-bike forum.
+1
Old 07-24-16, 04:22 PM
Happy Feet

I don't know.
We slugged it out pretty good but I at least thought you were putting some thought into what you were saying and introducing points of discussion. Though it may not have seemed so it the heat of things, I actually considered what you were saying or at least your perspective as someone invested in operating a bike tour site.

I don't get why someone who is just touring on a bike would care whether some other stranger is lazy or not or whether they camped in the same campground. That just smacks of some dark weirdness I can't relate to. That they post inflammatory stuff into a thread doesn't necessarily make the thread wrong. The same bias could extend to other threads and I recall one (with one of the people here) that revolved around how much money one spent on a bike and whether that made one a cheap or discerning rider. Same negativity.

I harken back to your last post where it was suggested if topics revolved around touring there would be some leeway for discussion, which would not automatically exclude those who might want to talk/participate in touring, while discussions strictly about the e bike itself would be moved to that sub forum. A reasonable compromise that I think most mature people could respect and navigate sensibly. If the day ever came when there was some sort of avalanche of e bike touring threads then perhaps, at that time, the point would be reached for an e bike specific touring sub forum.

That people basically spam a discussion to try to shut it down says more about them than the subject matter. Perhaps that is what needs to be addressed.

Cue BA in 3.. 2.. 1..

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-24-16 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-24-16, 04:28 PM
BigAura

'mechanical doping' crackdown

Last edited by BigAura; 07-24-16 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-24-16, 04:46 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Some people have a very narrow view of how thing should be and get totally bent out of shape when other people are saying thing that don't fit their view... Thus instead of talking with some reasoning they post totally unrelated crap to put down the ideas that contravenes their views, probably in the hopes of getting the tread closed and to stop any real discussion... JMO Just because "technically they are correct" that a motor is used, they totally ignore everything else and say stuff like E-Bikes take away from real bike touring, E-Bikes aren't bicycle touring, again technically correct, but as soon as one uses the term, "Touring on an E-Bike" it no longer is associated/or in any way competes with only human powered bicycle touring in most peoples minds, it's associated with E-Bike touring... Similar but different...
Old 07-24-16, 06:28 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by NeilGunton
I think the only thing that's been "sorted out" here is that the whole topic of e-bikes is controversial, at least here on the "bicycle touring" forum. It's become obvious that any attempted discussion of bikes with motors will always end up getting derailed by people who feel that they don't belong here. There is a push by some who think that they should just be accepted by everybody, but there is an equal push back from others who just don't want it here. There will always be people who see a motor on a bicycle and conclude that the rider is just being lazy. And there will always be others who see e-bike technology as enabling those with disabilities. The only thing that has been established beyond a doubt is that this is a topic that is as polarizing as bicycle helmets. I'm sure this thread will eventually get locked, same as the previous ones, so that (to me at least) is evidence enough for the view that perhaps e-bike discussions would be best conducted over on the e-bike forum. Even if you think that e-bikes are just fine for touring, is it really worth all the hassle of fighting and bickering every time it's brought up here?

Neil
I certainly agree that E-Bike discussions should be done on the E-Bike forum...

But that still leave the E-Bike touring discussions out in the cold, nobody there does touring per say, so... Just because there are people that will come to threads like this like BigAura , alan s , and are willing to diss everything abut E-Bikes, does that mean E-Bike touring isn't a real thing???
Old 07-24-16, 06:32 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
*hangs closed for cleaning sign*...

Okay, just removed 5 out of the last 6 posts. Man, I haven't seen some of y'all this frothy since the camp stove dust up a while back.

Face it, there are going to be those that will want to go touring using e-bikes. And while e-bikes do have their own forum here, there are still things touring specific that those people will need help with.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that touring with e-assist or without is going to be akin to panniers vs trailer or hammock vs pad discussions- there is no one solution for everyone.

*taking the sign down*

Last edited by no1mad; 07-24-16 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-24-16, 06:55 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Time for this thread to close. It is going nowhere.
Old 07-24-16, 06:57 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Take the following with a grain of salt .

I've never toured, doubtful if I ever will (due to medical and familial priorities), and my experience with an e-assisted bike was a brief test ride of some Giant model my LBS tried to sell me back in the day.

I personally would not be too keen on e-bike touring myself- just more parts that could fail while out in the middle of nowhere- and my mechanical aptitude is limited to flat repairs and anything that can be done using a Park MT-1
Old 07-24-16, 07:00 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Time for this thread to close. It is going nowhere.
And the reason why it is going nowhere is because there are a few that don't want it to go anywhere.

Perhaps of those people should leave the thread and observe from a distance- the topic will either flourish on its own or die on the vine naturally.
Old 07-24-16, 07:29 PM
Happy Feet

+1

Some of the best discussions come out of hotly contested issues.

For myself, I still don't ride an e bike but I've learned a bit more about them in this thread.
I've also given what the forum means to others some thought.
I've realized there is a sub set of people who use them because of medical issues who like onbike, have interesting stories.
I've looked into how they fit into adaptive cycling in my local region and found some related websites as a result.
I've learned there may be an alternate reason than the one I'm thinking as to why Doug may have a sports bra hanging off his panniers.
Old 07-24-16, 07:36 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
.. Just because there are people that will come to threads like this like BigAura , alan s , and are willing to diss everything abut E-Bikes, does that mean E-Bike touring isn't a real thing???
The only thing that fanned the flames is when you started equating a motor to a mechanical "assist" (gears). These guys don't care if anyone rides an e-bike or not.
Old 07-24-16, 08:29 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by boomhauer
The only thing that fanned the flames is when you started equating a motor to a mechanical "assist" (gears). These guys don't care if anyone rides an e-bike or not.
Really? They sure seemed to care as far as I could tell. Anyways, I just retorted that assist is assist, mechanical advantage is an assist too... I likened it to a fixie, how many people tour with a fixie? Not many I suspect. Why? Because they can't make it up most hills without the assistance of the gearing... Thus, maybe anyone who can't tour on a fixie should get off their fat butts and train more, is what I basically said... Because that is what they said I should do, if I couldn't tour without the E-Assist.... That is the way I remember it...

Last edited by 350htrr; 07-24-16 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-24-16, 09:11 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
Really? They sure seemed to care as far as I could tell. Anyways, I just retorted that assist is assist, mechanical advantage is an assist too... ....
agree 100%! cogs and chains and pedals.......all are forms of assist!

if you're not riding a no-pedal wooden balance bike, you're not
on a REAL bicycle at all! you're cheating and must be banned
from all REAL bicycle forums.

back to reality....there's some good reading on e-bikes here:

https://ebike.research.pdx.edu/sites/..._America_2.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws
Pedal-assisted bicycles and the Law ? Electric Bike Action

check out the first link, top of page 7: organic transit ELF encapsulated pedal-assisted recumbent trike.
legally classified as a low-speed electric bicycle.
Old 07-24-16, 09:45 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by saddlesores
agree 100%! cogs and chains and pedals.......all are forms of assist!

if you're not riding a no-pedal wooden balance bike, you're not
on a REAL bicycle at all! you're cheating and must be banned
from all REAL bicycle forums.

back to reality....there's some good reading on e-bikes here:

https://ebike.research.pdx.edu/sites/..._America_2.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws
Pedal-assisted bicycles and the Law ? Electric Bike Action

check out the first link, top of page 7: organic transit ELF encapsulated pedal-assisted recumbent trike.
legally classified as a low-speed electric bicycle.
And that is why I even stated more than a few times that the N American laws for E-Bikes are way too lax and the EU definition is as far as even I am willing to go as to what should be considered a legal E-Assist bike... 350 watts or less and one MUST pedal it and no throttle and assist cuts out at 20MPH or less.
Old 07-24-16, 11:27 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
A few days ago I was camped next to a guy from Germany who was touring on a motorcycle. He didn't try to convince me he was bicycle touring. We talked briefly about his bike and panniers, because it was an interesting set up. We each recognized that we were engaged in different activities. For example, the day before, he rode 400 km from Italy mostly on highways. At the same time, I had taken a train under the Alps and ridden 50 miles or so mostly on quiet roads and bike paths. Point is, the electric motor bike tourers will hopefully recognize they are engaged in a different activity than bike touring. Sure, there are some similarities, but fundamentally, they are not the same thing.
Old 07-25-16, 12:14 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 219 Posts
A few days ago I was camped next to a guy from Germany who was touring on a motorcycle. He didn't try to convince me he was bicycle touring. We talked briefly about his bike and panniers, because it was an interesting set up. We each recognized that we were engaged in different activities. For example, the day before, he rode 400 km from Italy mostly on highways. At the same time, I had taken a train under the Alps and ridden 50 miles or so mostly on quiet roads and bike paths. Point is, the electric motor bike tourers will hopefully recognize they are engaged in a different activity than bike touring. Sure, there are some similarities, but fundamentally, they are not the same thing.
Uh oh...
You took a train? Why are you posting on a bicycle touring forum instead of interrail or similiar. By many definitions presented here (including yours) you're not bicycle touring at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.