Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Nexus 7 folding bike £213 today only (UK only)

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Nexus 7 folding bike £213 today only (UK only)

Old 05-01-18, 04:29 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Sounds like the later version of this bike has a smaller diameter seat tube perhaps that has something to do with the 10kg extra rider weight capacity. Seems most likely.
Old 05-04-18, 03:38 PM
snoopy20

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So we've found the change!

Cranks - you can tell if they're hollow inside as they have flat backs instead of an in-cut pattern. Anything XT is hollow, majority of LX are or used to be. Deore used to be a long time ago but not anymore. You may find it better to go for road cranks for alignment - I had to use quite a few spacers with the sprocket on my XT crank to get the chain-line matching up. Road hollowtech are 105 or Ultegra. I would look for a 105 with worn rings on eBay.

Also forgot, the handlebar is a right old slab of alloy. You can save 250g there at minimal cost with a replacement.

Last edited by snoopy20; 05-04-18 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-18-18, 02:05 PM
gdlerner

Bikes: Pocket Llama

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi guys

I been using the bike for a while and I want to make some modifications ,I am not very fast withe the small ring in front 46T I was thinking to change to a big one in front like 56T,

do you think this one

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Litepro-MTB-...53.m1438.l2649

will work in this bike

Thanks in advance
Old 12-24-18, 05:53 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Originally Posted by gdlerner
Hi guys

I been using the bike for a while and I want to make some modifications ,I am not very fast withe the small ring in front 46T I was thinking to change to a big one in front like 56T,

do you think this one

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Litepro-MTB-...53.m1438.l2649

will work in this bike

Thanks in advance
Sounds fine but depending on the rear cog size you might be able to change that. I think Nexus cogs go down to 16T and you wouldn't need to change your chain you could just shorten it. Might be the cheaper option depending on what is currently fitted on the Nexus itself.
Old 12-24-18, 07:02 AM
gdlerner

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I already got a 16T cog
Old 12-26-18, 03:38 AM
Bonzo Banana

Originally Posted by gdlerner
I already got a 16T cog
Ah fair enough, your definitely going for a speedy folding bike.

How's the bike holding up? Sounds like you are getting on well with it except the low gearing which is normal for folding bikes. Once you've done your front crankset change perhaps you could put an image of it here.
Old 12-26-18, 04:03 AM
gdlerner

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
Ah fair enough, your definitely going for a speedy folding bike.

How's the bike holding up? Sounds like you are getting on well with it except the low gearing which is normal for folding bikes. Once you've done your front crankset change perhaps you could put an image of it here.
Well I need something in the middle like on my bike friday with Rohloff like the 8 gears to go avs 20km/h I will order the parts on february when I am back in Germany, at the moment I am in Chiang Mai Thailand starting my tour on 2 day on my way to Laos
Regards
Old 01-01-19, 04:47 AM
snoopy20

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spent a small fortune on mine, it has a Nexus 8, SON dynamo hub, new wheels etc.

Despite this the Nexus 8 is noticeably slower than derailleur gears. I went out with a friend and normally we're evenly matched but on the foldy i couldn't keep up.

So I think it's up for sale.
Old 01-06-19, 04:40 PM
Bonzo Banana

Originally Posted by snoopy20
I spent a small fortune on mine, it has a Nexus 8, SON dynamo hub, new wheels etc.

Despite this the Nexus 8 is noticeably slower than derailleur gears. I went out with a friend and normally we're evenly matched but on the foldy i couldn't keep up.

So I think it's up for sale.
What was he/she riding in comparison?

Personally I've never thought of a Nexus 8 as particularly fast its more city bike gearing, commuting etc. I've got a Carrera Subway 8 with a Nexus 8 and I'm sure I'm slower on it than one of my 3x8 mountain bikes. It's just low maintenance and easy to ride in comparison.