Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon fork - thru axle ripped out on brand new bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon fork - thru axle ripped out on brand new bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 04:06 PM
stin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP Here.

Customer service sent a massive reply, stating that neither the bent chainring, bent rotor or cracked fork was a problem.

The fork is not cracked, you are simply seeing the seam from the thru axle nut that is bonded in the fork
I'll be opening a payment dispute.....

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-11-20, 04:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3659 Post(s)
Liked 5,405 Times in 2,745 Posts
They are probably right about the fork. All carbon forks just have the nut glued into a hole in the fork, AFAIK. Obviously some do a nicer job of tidying up. Nevertheless, you'll probably never be happy with it, may as well return it.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-11-20, 04:35 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Whelp, this thread is curing me of any thought of jumping for one of their "great deals".
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-11-20, 04:41 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
YOU KNOW HOW MUCH PEOPLE PAY FOR OBLONG CHAIN RINGS? YOU GOT A GREAT DEAL AND ARE LUCKY YOUR CHAINRING IS OBLONG

lololol great customer service
Old 05-11-20, 04:48 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22584 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Whelp, this thread is curing me of any thought of jumping for one of their "great deals".
But...But...you could be missing out on the DEAL OF THE CENTURY!!!

#BDCopy
Old 05-11-20, 05:21 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by datlas
But...But...you could be missing out on the DEAL OF THE CENTURY!!!

#BDCopy
Shill.

Old 05-11-20, 05:31 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If you look at the large pic on the BD site, that could be a bonding seam, but, but, it certainly doesn't have paint flicking off like the OP's. Looks like a problem.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...rance-road.htm

Old 05-11-20, 06:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
If you look at the large pic on the BD site, that could be a bonding seam, but, but, it certainly doesn't have paint flicking off like the OP's. Looks like a problem.
I assume the bike has either aluminum or steel dropouts that extend up into the fork somehow. An X-Ray or Ultrasound might give some idea of the structure. However, perhaps there would also be a low-tech method such as using a tap test to try to divine out borders of material composition.
Old 05-11-20, 06:23 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Also, if a bent chainring is "acceptable", it puts paid to the popular notion (which most people don't seem to actually follow up on) that the bike is the price of a groupset and you get the frame and finish kit "free".
Old 05-11-20, 07:36 PM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
Bikes Direct's website is... something else. Ooof.
Old 05-11-20, 07:53 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I've wondered if it couldn't be just an example of a horrendous masking job by someone applying the initial coats of paint and not wanting to get it into the axle hole. Still, whether it's that or an actual structural problem it looks like crap and isn't what I would accept from a brand-new frame.
Old 05-11-20, 07:57 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
It looks like someone over-tightened the bolt. It might be worth taking the wheel off and inspecting the rest of the fork. Or just dispute the charge and send it back.

A bent rotor should be replaced, no questions asked. They shouldn't tell you it isn't a problem.

I suspect you won't be the first person who sent this bike back to them. (Not this model. This bike.)
Old 05-11-20, 08:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by stin
OP Here.

Customer service sent a massive reply, stating that neither the bent chainring, bent rotor or cracked fork was a problem.

Thanks for your input.
Even if the fork is safe, its poorly finished and paint is already separated and chipping off.

I've built up 4 of the diamondback century models for friends/coworkers and none had this issue. oh, and a raleigh was built too, that also didn't have the issue(same company back then). I know for sure as I trued rotors and showed each person how to install thru axles, so this would have been easily seen.

BD's sister website bikeisland is for this very issue. They have tons of bikes listed there that are 'scratched on the dropouts'. Just return it so it can go to the island.
Old 05-11-20, 08:05 PM
lykbutta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Man. All of this is unacceptable brand new. I took delivery of my new GIANT today and went over it with a fine tooth comb. No way man. Send it back.
Old 05-11-20, 08:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by procrit
I would stay far away from bikes direct. Their frames are garbage.
this isn't a BD frame. Its a Dback frame. BD will buy up old stock of other brands(fuji, kestrel, etc) and sell them too.
Old 05-11-20, 09:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Even if it's 100% safe, the resale value of that fork is $0, and while it's in the bike, the whole thing is pretty close to 0 too. Send it back.
Old 05-12-20, 06:18 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by stin
OP Here.

Thanks for your input.
It could just be the case. That's what I initially thought. Then I saw the purchase price (650$) and to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised it this was due to low-quality paint job.
Originally Posted by lykbutta
Man. All of this is unacceptable brand new. I took delivery of my new GIANT today and went over it with a fine tooth comb. No way man. Send it back.
But you probably paid 3-4x what he paid, right? I'm not saying that a 650$ bike should have flaws, but you know...

Last edited by eduskator; 05-12-20 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-12-20, 07:41 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
To me, it always looked like a finish issue at the thru-axle, which is why I suggested removing the wheel, inserting the TA and seeing if you could move it or if it remained locked in place. (Someone else also suggested this, and even suggested threading from the outside in to see if it moves.) If it doesn't move, it's fine.

How bad is the rotor bent? Is it taco'd or just lighly bent and rubbing? I ask because rotors bend or warp pretty easily. So, that is not an unexpected issue, and you can buy tools for bending them back.

The one thing that concerns me is the bent chainring. I'm still unclear how that happened, and I'd like to see pics of it.
Old 05-13-20, 08:37 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
My experience with BD has been quite good. I bought a Motebecane Phantom Cross, an aluminum frame cross bike with full Ultegra for $700, and a titanium Motebecanne mountain bike with XT for $1900. Both bikes have limitations. BD cuts corners on non group set components, and I’ve upgraded a few things. But I’ve successfully raced both bikes, and avoided spending a lot of money on bikes that I only use occasionally.

i think with BD you get what you pay for. And in this instance, $699 today is pretty much a bottom end road bike.

Not a big deal to straighten a chain ring, or straighten or replace a rotor.

The fork is admittedly a worry, but until someone with some expertise inspects it in person, it’s impossible to know whether the issue is more than cosmetic.

The BD proposition is that you give up a lot of customer service, and accept some trade offs for a very cheap price.

Personally, I’d get the fork inspected. If it’s only cosmetic, I’d go enjoy the bike. If there is a real issue in how the nut is bonded in the fork, then I’d raise hell with BD, and dispute it with the credit card company if they didn’t resolve it.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-13-20, 08:41 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro

The one thing that concerns me is the bent chainring. I'm still unclear how that happened, and I'd like to see pics of it.
Chainrings have gotten better, but back in the day, it wasn’t unusual for a chain ring to get bent, and you just straightened it with an adjustable wrench as a lever.

OP could likely do that to his chain ring.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-13-20, 09:13 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Chainrings have gotten better, but back in the day, it wasn’t unusual for a chain ring to get bent, and you just straightened it with an adjustable wrench as a lever.

OP could likely do that to his chain ring.
Would you accept a brand new bike that required you to bend the chain ring with a wrench so that it could be ridden? I wouldn't. $650 may be pocket change for many on this forum, but it's still a lot of money to pay for something that has clearly been damaged during shipping.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading this thread. Even if the fork is just a sloppy paint finish, I would still be initiating a return with Bikes Direct over the chain ring and rotor issues if they are both really "bent" or "warped" as the OP described. It might take a few emails or phone calls to make this happen, but I'd be shocked if they just said "tough, it's your problem now... grab a wrench and bend it back".
Old 05-13-20, 09:18 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Also FWIW I have a friend who bought a CX bike on Bikes Direct years ago. It arrived with a bent rear derailleur hanger and a rear wheel that needed truing.

Neither are complicated fixes for a shop. Bikes Direct offered to either provide a credit for him to take the bike to a shop and get it fixed, or the option to return and they would send a new bike. He chose to return, even though I think he had to pay return shipping costs, but they sent him a new bike (no issues) within a week, and later refunded his shipping costs.
Old 05-13-20, 11:16 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Also FWIW I have a friend who bought a CX bike on Bikes Direct years ago. It arrived with a bent rear derailleur hanger and a rear wheel that needed truing.

Neither are complicated fixes for a shop. Bikes Direct offered to either provide a credit for him to take the bike to a shop and get it fixed, or the option to return and they would send a new bike. He chose to return, even though I think he had to pay return shipping costs, but they sent him a new bike (no issues) within a week, and later refunded his shipping costs.
This company sucks. A client should never have to pay out for returning a damaged good he purchased new.
Old 05-13-20, 07:30 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
This company sucks. A client should never have to pay out for returning a damaged good he purchased new.
??? Said they refunded his shipping costs.
Old 05-13-20, 08:25 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
this isn't a BD frame. Its a Dback frame. BD will buy up old stock of other brands(fuji, kestrel, etc) and sell them too.
I still wouldn't buy from them from just the customer service and quality control standpoint. Either you stand by your products or you don't. Clearly they don't and will keep sending out the "overstocks", which I read as factory blems or problem frames that didn't make the cut for the retail bike shops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.