Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dura-Ace 7700 Freehub Body compatibility?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-14-20, 02:15 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts

I've noticed that every so often the freehub on my Dura Ace rear hub will skip, nothing major but a bit disconcerting to say the least. I have been a long time user of the Morningstar Freehub Buddy on this hub, and usually give it a gear oil flush every year or so as part of routine maintenance. I remove the freehub body to do this, so I can let the excess oil drain out of the unit (versus all over my hub/spokes or into the greased bearings on the drive side).

Anyway, I was going to try and do a solvent flush followed by one or more lubricant flushes over a period of a couple days to see if that helps. Everything I read on the internet (including Sheldon Brown) said that Shimano 9-speed stuff was interchangeable, so I ordered a Tiagra 4500 9-speed freehub body to put on the wheel for interim use while I worked on the 7700 body. However, when I went to install it, it didn't fit as it seems to be a bit shorter than the 7700 body. It sits too much inboard, and as a result the cassette can't fully seat as it hits the spokes before it goes to the bottom of the splines. Also, the shortness of the body was apparent when I installed the axle and had a bunch of extra length on the NDS end.

There was a thin shim with the replacement body, perhaps I will re-try with that but I was under the impression that this was to replace the existing shim/washer around the hub splines (which fits into a recess in the hub), not sit on top of it as a spacer. Plus, it didn't seem thick enough to resolve the problem I had. Hmmm...

I probably won't ride for the next few days, so I likely will service the 7700 body this weekend so no big deal. While I have it off, I may retry the 4500 body with the shim and see if it works better that way, at least to satisfy my curiosity. If it does fit that way, I will come back and update the post, if for nothing else to help someone else who may be searching about this.
Old 08-14-20, 03:10 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
They all use different part numbers, Tiagra through DA, FWIW. I too would have thought there was some interchangeability but maybe not.
Old 08-14-20, 03:32 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I don't know the compatibility range for the 7700 hub. To fit into my Cannondale 126mm dropouts I used a body from an XT-732 on my 7700 and it worked great. But, you don't want a 7 speed freehub body.

I'm "thinking" a body from an XTR-950 might work, but I have not tried it. If that works I have read that the body from an XTR-950, or 910, will fit on an XT-737. One of these days I try it. So if a 950 works a 737 should fit, but I can't verify that.

The trend here is pretty obvious in that compatibility with other 1990's hubs will probably give you a better chance. I'm sure someone has done a swap with a non-ti freehub body.

Whatever comes about from this thread I will file away.

John
Old 08-15-20, 10:12 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Worked on the 7700 freehub today, gave it a good solvent flush and got all the old lubricant out (and a bunch of other crud). Re-lubricated using the freehub buddy, and a light bead of Teflon grease around the rear-side bearings. Running smoothly, we will see how it performs on the road.
Old 08-15-20, 11:06 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I didn't care for my freehub body on that hub so I replaced it with an Ultera freehub body. Works fine.
Old 08-15-20, 03:33 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
I didn't care for my freehub body on that hub so I replaced it with an Ultera freehub body. Works fine.
Do you know if it was from a 6500 or 6600 freehub?

Thanks!

John
Old 08-15-20, 10:55 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Do you know if it was from a 6500 or 6600 freehub?

Thanks!

John
I think either will work.