Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mounting A Rear Rack via QR Skewer - Advice

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-20, 07:58 PM
FordTrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I built up a really nice steel road frame with no brazons for rack mounting. I have rear racks on all my other bikes and thought I could live without one on this really nice steel road frame. I tried frame mounted bag, top tube bag, etc. Conclusion: I need a rear rack to but a small trunk bag... wallet, keys, tool bag, snacks, tubes, inflator, and a small pair of binoculars.

The bike really built up nice and I used all silver components so it would look vintage. Running 9 speed friction with a lovely set of miche/H plus wheels in high polish.

I was looking for kind of a classic sliver rack and found this: Soma Champs Elysees Rear Rack (See picture attached). They indicate it can be mounted off the QR skewer and the rear brake mount bolt. So I will not need any p-mounts. It is not cheap at $100 but is stainless so it should last. But more importantly I think it will look correct on the retro steel frame and be plenty sturdy to hold a small truck bag with only a few pounds in it.

I was wondering how mounting a rack on the rear quick release skewer actually works out in practice. Is it pretty secure and trouble free or is doing a rack off the quick release problematic?

Can I use my current quick release or will I need to go to a long quick release? I believe it is a standard 130mm road QR so I could get a 135mm if needed.

Any advice, ideas would be welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CE Pix.pdf (86.5 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by FordTrax; 08-14-20 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-14-20, 08:05 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTrax
I built up a really nice steel road frame with no brazons for rack mounting. I have rear racks on all my other bikes and thought I could live without one on this really nice steel road frame. I tried frame mounted bag, top tube bag, etc. Conclusion: I need a rear rack to but a small trunk bag... wallet, keys, tool bag, snacks, tubes, inflator, and a small pair of binoculars.

The bike really built up nice and I used all silver components so it would look vintage. Running 9 speed friction with a lovely set of miche/H plus wheels in high polish.

I was looking for kind of a classic sliver rack and found this: Soma Champs Elysees Rear Rack (See picture attached). They indicate it can be mounted off the QR skewer and the rear brake mount bolt. So I will not need any p-mounts. It is not cheap at $100 but is stainless so I should last. But more importantly I think it will look correct on the retro steel frame and be plenty sturdy to hold a small truck bag with only a few pounds in it.

I was wondering how mounting a rack on the rear quick release skewer actually works out in practice. Is it pretty secure and trouble free or is doing a rack off the quick release problematic? Can I use my current quick release or will I need to go to a long quick release?

Any advice, ideas would be welcome.
Not problematic at all. One of the best and most solid racks made, Old Man Mountain, is a QR rack.
Old 08-14-20, 08:53 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Mounting a rack on the quick release skewer is going to be a huge nuisance every time you have to remove the rear wheel for any reason. P clamps are preferable to this type of mount since they are set and forget, you never have to worry about them once installed
Old 08-14-20, 08:56 PM
FordTrax

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Mounting a rack on the quick release skewer is going to be a huge nuisance every time you have to remove the rear wheel for any reason. P clamps are preferable to this type of mount since they are set and forget, you never have to worry about them once installed
Huge Nuisance = That is what I was wondering if this was going to be the case.
Old 08-14-20, 09:01 PM
FordTrax

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Other Option = Tailfin

My other option would be a Tailfin Rack. Which is certainly not retro and it is not cheap but it mounts of special quick release skewers that have pegs on the ends for the rack to mount to and a quick release clamp to the seat post. You can take it on and off in 10 seconds they claim. It was designed for road bikes with no mounting points on the frame. See link:

TailFin S
Old 08-14-20, 09:02 PM
alcjphil

Huge Nuisance = That is what I was wondering if this was going to be the case.
The level of the nuisance factor is going to depend on how often you feel the need to remove the rear wheel. For me, this would get old very quickly since I often remove the rear wheel to clean my bike or to stow it in my car trunk when I travel with it, not to mention changing tires or repairing flats.
Old 08-14-20, 09:14 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Not problematic at all. One of the best and most solid racks made, Old Man Mountain, is a QR rack.
I don’t agree. I had an Old Man Mountain long ago. The skewer bent and was almost impossible to remove from the hub. I went a different route.

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I agree that the quick release mount is a nuisance. You have to remove the quick release completely...more parts to keep track of on the side of the road...and, once the rack is free it is flopping around as you attempt to remove and replace the wheel.

I’m not a fan of P-clips, however. They are just barely adequate. Tubus rack adapters are much more stable and much easier to use, They can be used as the upper and/or lower.

I have them on a couple of bikes as the upper mount and at least one bike as the lower mount.

They are relatively strong...I use them for a commuting load (about 15 lb). I’ve also used them for off-road touring. I’m not carrying much of a load in the little bags but the rack is extremely stable. I’ve been using them for about 10 years without problems.

You have to measure the diameter of the seat stay to get the right size (use an adjustable wrench if you don’t have calipers)
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-14-20, 09:24 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don’t agree. I had an Old Man Mountain long ago. The skewer bent and was almost impossible to remove from the hub. I went a different route.

I’m not a fan of P-clips, however. They are just barely adequate. Tubus rack adapters are much more stable and much easier to use, They can be used as the upper and/or lower.
Those adapters are a great solution, they are basically an extra robust P clamp designed specifically to support a rear rack on a bicycle. Far superior to using the quick release skewer to support the rack
Old 08-15-20, 06:00 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I like that the Tubus adapters separate the clamping and rack mounting functions to two different bolts.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-15-20, 07:04 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I like that the Tubus adapters separate the clamping and rack mounting functions to two different bolts.
I agree. P-clamps are a pain because of the single bolt. As an added bonus, you can leave the Tubus adapters in place if you take the rack off for some reason.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-15-20, 07:38 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Conclusion: I need a rear rack to but a small trunk bag... wallet, keys, tool bag, snacks, tubes, inflator, and a small pair of binoculars.
A large seatpack would also work well, no rack needed. https://store.biketouringnews.com/ca...seat-bags.html
Old 08-15-20, 12:25 PM
mitchmellow62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Do the Tubus adaptors mar the finish at all?
Old 08-15-20, 01:07 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Another route, if your seat-post adjustment and seat are strong and rigid:

Arkel Randonneur Rack:

Old 08-15-20, 06:15 PM
FordTrax

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thank you

I ordered a Soma Champ Elysees Rear Rack (tubular stainless steel) and my local bike shop is trying to get me some 14mm Tubus Rack Clamps that Cyccommuter recommended. I think that rack will be plenty for a light day ride trunk bag and keep the retro look since it is silver. I appreciate all the input.
Old 08-15-20, 06:23 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
Do the Tubus adaptors mar the finish at all?
Not really. They come with friction tape. Once tightened they don’t slip.