Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Just got the Citizen Bike Barcelona...

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Just got the Citizen Bike Barcelona...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-10, 03:16 PM
freebooter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like a modern version of the old folders that were sold by lots of companies in the 70s/80s ? Below is a Raleigh version I got from freecycle. From the description I was expecting an R20

compact..jpg
Old 08-21-10, 12:50 AM
SoccerBikeGirl
SoccerBikeGirl

Bikes: I have had my HUFFY for 22 years and now I await my Citizens Barcelona Ivory Bike in the Mail .. I AM SOOO Exited! Cant wait to post my experience.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Barcelona fan

Hi All;

Yes I have the Barcelona for about 3 months now. I am an absolute bike craze and I found the perfect bike when I bought the Barcelona. It’s a smooth ride and looks so elegant and sophisticated. It looks bigger than the website. When I have bikes I go all out, take a look at the vintage lights I put on her. That is just the beginning I am not close to finish. At the same time when I add gadgets to my bike I ensure it’s still neat and doesn’t come out looking like a time machine. I love the bike so much it had to sleep beside me on her first day home, as you see in the pics... now she is in the garage. So among other things that I will be adding to my bike is a vintage digital speedometer, car sounding horn, radio, vintage bullet signal, MOTOR...and much more. As for the motor, it comes last as its the most expensive and I am still deciding whether or not to go gas or electric. If anyone has any questions at all about this beauty of a bike, please don’t hesitate to contact me! :)

Talk soon!

SoocerBikeGirl

chatta@chatta.ca
my.fruitarian.life@gmail.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PhoneImage8..jpg (108.1 KB, 167 views)
IMG00118-20100720-2&.jpg (91.7 KB, 173 views)
IMG00117-20100720-2&.jpg (92.6 KB, 168 views)
Cruising..jpg (101.1 KB, 177 views)
IMG_4245smaller..jpg (97.0 KB, 167 views)
Old 08-21-10, 09:11 AM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Nice to see you here "SoccerBikeGirl"! Thanks for joining the discussion. Love the bike, and it's elegant, classy looks. Looking forward to hearing more about your biking adventures.

Cheers,
Ed
Old 08-21-10, 02:41 PM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Bikes: Electra Townie, Schwinn Loop. Schwinn Hinge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great pictures, SoccerBikeGirl, thanks!
Old 08-21-10, 02:42 PM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rosiebud
Did you see the new Dahon Kukuxumusu
Just looked at it and to be honest, I really don't like that style. The Barcelona (and the Dahon Ciao) are much more attractive, to my old fogey girly eyes.
Old 08-21-10, 10:15 PM
rosiebud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman
Just looked at it and to be honest, I really don't like that style. The Barcelona (and the Dahon Ciao) are much more attractive, to my old fogey girly eyes.
It kind of looks a bit like my Eco3, I have been riding her a quite a bit lately but I really need to bring her to a bike park. The stop and go at every street corner with a stop sign is starting to get annoying and decreasing my enjoyment of just riding.

One day I do hope to try the Barcelona out though, I really do like the style alot.
Old 08-22-10, 12:14 PM
bswamsley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got my citizen barcelona and like you I love it. I see you have over a years experience with it. I need help in how to fold the bike with the handle bars between the two wheels (as instructed). I can get it folded with the handle bars on the outside, but it isn't as compact as the picture.

For all out there still considering a folding bike, I have had three short road trips with it and I LOVE it. It is quite a beauty and eye catcher. And although it only has 3 gears that is ok with me -- I try and avoid steep hills (would probably get off and push it up the hill rather than try to go up in 1st gear) and all my rides are on fairly flat ground so it is perfect. I road with my husband and his 26" wheel, and 20 gears and we kept pace together without effort in a leisurely trip down to the river.

I have a bad shoulder and yet I can get the bike in and out of the trunk of my car quite easily. Setup is very fast. I ordered the special seat and I'm glad I did -- It needs some breaking in (or my bottom side does). But it has some springs and nice wide seat area.
Old 08-22-10, 12:30 PM
bswamsley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I just got my Barcelona last week. And I love it. I ordered the seat upgrade and it matches perfectly with the handle bars. Still can't figure out how to fold with the handle bars between the wheels. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by BluePlate55
HA!! I thought exactly the same thing!! She looked like she was perched there pretty awkwardly. I find that it's really comfy for my short frame, though I'm wondering about this new one-size-fits-all idea. I wonder which size they *weren't* selling enough of--the medium or the large...

As for the seat, I found I had to adjust it a bit. It came tipped forward, and I felt like I was sliding forward the whole time. I adjusted it to tip slightly up, and have felt pretty good about it but have yet to ride for more than two hours at a time. The only downside of replacing it is that the seat it comes with looks very nice and matches the handles. Style isn't *everything,* but it's not nothing, either...
Old 08-22-10, 12:33 PM
bswamsley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may be repeating myself. New to forum. I got my Barcelona last week and I love it. It is beautiful. I have had it on a couple of three mile rides (mostly flat) and it takes me back to my childhood days. Three gears are no problem for me (I try and avoid all steep hills, no matter how many gears). I ordered the upgrade seat and it matches the handle bars and rest of bike perfectly. Nice wide comfortable seat.

I need help on how to fold with the handle bars between the two wheels -- my husband and I are both scratching our heads. Any suggestions?
Old 08-25-10, 10:47 AM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bswamsley, thanks for your post. I can only say based on my Schwinn folding bike, but if just swing the handlebars completely around from the front (IOW, backwards) before folding it down, then fold the middle part of the bike. That's so crazy it just might work.
Old 08-30-10, 07:38 AM
BluePlate55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoccerBikeGirl
When I have bikes I go all out, take a look at the vintage lights I put on her.
Cool! I've been thinking about a headlight... What's powering them?

Originally Posted by bswamsley
I need help on how to fold with the handle bars between the two wheels -- my husband and I are both scratching our heads. Any suggestions?
I don't think it's supposed to fold that way--when I fold mine, the handlebars go on the side, and I hold it all together with a bungee. The handlebars nicely wrap around the other components this way.

I just did a quick check of CB.com, and in their pictures of the Barcelona folded, the handlebars are on the side, too. Where did you read that it should go between the wheels?
Old 08-30-10, 09:34 AM
bswamsley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folding the Barcelona

Originally Posted by BluePlate55
Cool! I've been thinking about a headlight... What's powering them?

I don't think it's supposed to fold that way--when I fold mine, the handlebars go on the side, and I hold it all together with a bungee. The handlebars nicely wrap around the other components this way.

I just did a quick check of CB.com, and in their pictures of the Barcelona folded, the handlebars are on the side, too. Where did you read that it should go between the wheels?
Thanks Blueplate55 for your helpful comments. The instruction book that came with my barcelona said to fold with handlebars between wheels. I gave up finally and called technical support. The nice man told me that I had the old guide, and yes the handlebars can't fit between and should go on outside. They haven't published new guide yet. The other correction will be the adjustment of the gears, the guide I have say turn the barrel bolt til the "red line" lines up with the wheel widget (sorry can't remember the proper name). Anyway I figured that one out myself --- there is no red line, it is an engraved line.
Old 08-31-10, 09:31 AM
BluePlate55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bswamsley
The other correction will be the adjustment of the gears, the guide I have say turn the barrel bolt til the "red line" lines up with the wheel widget (sorry can't remember the proper name). Anyway I figured that one out myself --- there is no red line, it is an engraved line.
I didn't have that red line, either! I'm glad they're updating their guide!
Old 06-06-11, 02:36 AM
hellosuki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am going to get mine soon, they are so cute. it will be perfect to ride to the grocery and dog park!
Old 06-11-11, 06:27 AM
ccsdc83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Instead of making an entirely new thread I will just ask about in here since we have quite a bit of talking regarding different Citizen models.

I wanted to call them today, but they are closed on the weekends. I am looking at buying the Gotham 1...yes the 1 speed model for a friend that is very casual at bike riding and does not require gears really when we make short trips. Can that model even get a slight speed up when pedaling it? Not anything like 20MPH just at least a steady pace where you aren't dead tired after 2-3 miles pedaling.

Can anyone comment if Citizen Bikes fit nicely in trunks? I have a Mazda 3 and friend drives a Honda...we were hoping they would fit comfortably in each.

Are folders train friendly? I am going to be making trips this summer on vacation using Amtrak and other notable means of transportation and taking a small bike would be nice in cities and towns.
Old 06-11-11, 04:55 PM
JCFlack

Bikes: Giant Escape III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Tokyo fits nicely into the trunk of our Hyundai Elantra - about the same size as a Mazda 3 - with room to spare, so I imagine a Gotham would be fine too even though it is bigger. Others on the forum have reported no trouble taking their folders on Amtrak - do a search and read their posts.
Old 06-12-11, 05:31 PM
SunnyFlorida

Bikes: Sun Miami Trike - 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ccsdc83
Instead of making an entirely new thread I will just ask about in here since we have quite a bit of talking regarding different Citizen models.

I wanted to call them today, but they are closed on the weekends. I am looking at buying the Gotham 1...yes the 1 speed model for a friend that is very casual at bike riding and does not require gears really when we make short trips. Can that model even get a slight speed up when pedaling it? Not anything like 20MPH just at least a steady pace where you aren't dead tired after 2-3 miles pedaling.

Can anyone comment if Citizen Bikes fit nicely in trunks? I have a Mazda 3 and friend drives a Honda...we were hoping they would fit comfortably in each.

Are folders train friendly? I am going to be making trips this summer on vacation using Amtrak and other notable means of transportation and taking a small bike would be nice in cities and towns.
Best to make a new thread since what you're asking has nothing to do with the Barcelona. You'll also get more responses.
Old 06-13-11, 09:02 AM
BluePlate55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My barcelona fits nicely in the trunk of my small two-door, as does my hubby's G2, but they don't fit in there together. (We've actually been looking at the Mazda 3s, to see if the hatchback style might let us fit both bikes in together!) Typically, we put his bike in the trunk and mine in the back seat, and that gets us around just fine.

I haven't tried taking my bike on a train, but I honestly don't think it folds down fast enough or small enough to make that a regular option. I'm sure I *could* get it on a train if I needed to, but I wouldn't want to make that a part of my daily commute. However, someone larger than me may be able to fold and heft the bike much more quickly and easily, so it may work for others!
Old 06-13-11, 09:05 AM
BluePlate55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In other news, I have a question about my bike "creaking":

A month or so ago I crashed (not terribly badly--I'm fine, though my lovely front basket got all bent out of shape), and ever since then, the front end of the bike makes a creaking noise when I pull hard on the handlebars.

In some other thread I noted that my hubby's G2 did this slightly from the get-go and he's never had a problem with it, but since my creaking noise seems directly related to crashing and is much louder than his, I'm worried.

Will a traditional bike shop know about folding bikes if I take it in? Or would it be best to call CB? Or does anyone know what might be causing this? Advice appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-13-11, 03:27 PM
vmaniqui

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

the only input i can give about citizen bikes is that they are quite heavy. if you're planning on carrying the bike then this is not the bike for you.
Old 06-27-11, 11:11 PM
giselovesyou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone!

I just joined bike forums because I'm interested in buying the Barcelona and this was the place that offered great feedback from users! I'm about 90% sure that I will buy it based on what I've read here and the fact that I simply love it. Just a few questions for those who do own the bike...

1. Do you think it could work as a "light commuter bike" (less than 10 miles, not daily though)
2. How does it handle in hills? (steep one or just non-flat surfaces)
3. Think I could purchase a different basket and make it properly fit?
4. Is it comfortable for a person about 5'5?

If anyone could give me some feedback it would be GREAT, because I could be ordering it tomorrow
Old 06-28-11, 03:35 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
1. Less than 10 miles, that could be 30 minutes, almost up to an hour in the saddle. That long, the saddle comfort will become important. As saddles are very individual, the Barcelona saddle could be great... or it could suck. The rest of the bike would be just fine for light duty as you describe.
2. Hills is more of a personal fitness issue than a bike issue... you will definitely blow after going uphill for a while. The gearing will make pedalling uphill easier, and the bike has fairly low gearing, so moderate hills would be fine. Steep hills could see you getting off and pushing. Which would be fine as well, not much speed difference anyway.
3.It looks like the basket attaches to the fork of the bike, like the little front rack does. An experience bike shop would be able to fit a different basket. It would not be cheaper in the end though. If price is not really the issue, then you could get the front rack and attach the alternate basket to it using cable ties.
4. It is probably right for 5'5". The suggested range is 5' to 6'.

Last edited by jur; 06-28-11 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-29-11, 06:50 PM
Varooom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got the Barcelona today. Still wrapped tires but well worth it so far. As you can see I work with expensive machines. I fooled a few thinking this bike cost over $950.!!! Look at the link of pictures and I will keep you posted. This bike will be a light commuter to NYC for my wife. I love the quality so far. The new adjustable stem is great and they give you the front rack now when you buy the basket. Two for one!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1018348...MyFtZ3A4NyTigE#

Old 06-30-11, 12:56 AM
giselovesyou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks "jur" for your quick advice/opinions, really made me go for it... I ordered it last night Just waiting for the confirmation email and then it should be about 8 days I believe.

"Varooom", glad to hear they include the front rack (I ordered the basket). Your album makes me want it even more
Old 07-04-11, 11:55 AM
BluePlate55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Varooom, I love the front rack! My Barcelona didn't come with one (I don't even think it was an option then), but I may order it, since my basket is now all wonky after I crashed.

giselovesyou, let us know what you think of it when it comes! I still adore my Barcelona after all this time, and am impressed with how thoroughly it has replaced my old hybrid cruiser--the Barcelona is now my "main" bike. I feel like it takes hills really well, though that could be because the whole thing is so much lighter than my old giant bike that the difference in weight makes the bike seem more efficient.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.