Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rack choices for Trek t900

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 05:36 PM
dmort

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! I'm trying to commute as much as possible this year with my two children via bike. I'm a teacher and they attend the same school. We did our first commute today, 7 miles each way, myself and my 8 year old daughter on the Trek t900 and my son on his own bike. The challenge is hauling school stuff - today we did backpacks, but I was hauling two heavy duty bike locks and my bike was sore at the end of the day. Its just a lot of weight to carry in addition. We live in NYC so the locks are a must.

I want to add some sort of rack arrangement to take the weight off my back. I'm thinking a front rack would make sense - there are a few narrow spots on the route we take and I fear panniers would be unwieldy. That said, I'm open to it if anyone can suggest a rear rack that would fit it well. Its a 26" wheel.

Thanks
Old 10-06-20, 10:00 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 523 Posts
This is our T900 with the rear rack it has had since day one. It's by Bontrager. Most Trek dealerships carry Bontrager accessories. Blackburn has some nice rack choices including a nice front rack. I don't know how well panniers would fit on our rack but if you have a lot of gear, panniers are a good idea. I really think you should consider a trailer. I don't have a picture with the trailer attached, but the T900 has a special quick release skewer that allows a BOB Yak single wheel trailer to attach and detach quickly. We LOVE this trailer and have had it much longer than we have had the T900. Front racks are interesting. I just got a new cargo bike and wanted front load capacity. I found a rack that mounts to the frame and does not turn with the front wheel. A T900 would be a very good platform for this rack. I sourced a steel (it's not as heavy as it sounds) basket and mounted it to the rack. Its weird turning the handlebars and the basket does not turn with it!
Old 10-07-20, 07:14 AM
dmort

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like the idea of a trailer and I was looking at them - but it won't work for us for commuting - we have to get on and off the bike often and there are stairs we have to go up and down. It will be too unwieldy.

I guess I'm going to go for a rear rack and see if it works. I'll just buy it from a store with a good return policy. I think I need to look at a lot of pictures of bikes with front racks. The t900 has mid fork eyelets but I think the eyelets down by the dropouts are slightly behind the axle - so I have to see if I can find another bike with a front rack with a similar eyelet arrangement.

we did the commute again today, and it went just fine again. So I think it is worth spending some money on making the bike more sustainable for us. Ideally, I'd like my kids to not have to carry backpacks while riding, it will make them more comfortable.
Old 10-07-20, 08:18 AM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
dmort,
Since you mention steps, I will share our experience. We have a Trek T900. It is our second tandem. We also have a DaVinci Grand Junction. We have a raised house. So, every morning we take a tandem down the front steps and back up the steps when we return. The T900 was an improvement over our first tandem, a heavy steel Trailmate (heavy going up steps).

When we go to a festival or other outdoor event, we carry panniers on a rear rack, so we can carry 2 portable chairs, a portable table/footstool, a small soft cooler, etc. Walking the tandem down the steps with loaded rear panniers is okay with the DaVinci, which has a higher ground clearance than the T900. It's a bit more difficult with the T900. Getting either tandem up the steps with loaded rear panniers is not so easy. We now remove the panniers before going up steps with the tandem. It's just easier. There really is no convenient place to grip the rear of the tandem when going up steps. Adding the weight of loaded panniers at the rear makes the task more difficult.

Based on the use you describe (carrying backpacks), consider getting a big old-fashioned delivery basket for the front. We used one on our first tandem to carry our cocker spaniel. It worked quite well for that. The dog rode in a bike basket since she was a puppy and you never had to ask her twice to jump into the basket. The advantage would be that you can drop the backpacks into the basket and the kids can easily grab their backpack before you go up or down steps. Also, with the basket being on the front, you can easily see your clearance in tight spots.
Likes For jethro00:
Old 10-13-20, 02:18 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 119 Posts
Front rack

Hi,

There was a thread about front racks, for T1000 bikes, that you may find useful.
https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cy...-t-1000-a.html

I needed a front rack since the back had a child seat there, and I liked the top deck. Much easier to strap things on to than a lowrider.

I have "grocery bag" panniers. They work well for things like putting a backpack into it. Also, a grocery bag full of picnic, etc. I do supplement with a bungie over the top to reduce sway. Not sure Nashbar still offers them, and can't comment on what other brands would be good.

HTH