Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Stem advice for LHT?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Stem advice for LHT?

Old 01-07-21, 09:54 AM
  #26  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 11,233
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
Aesthetics is totally useless when you have functionality and performance to consider first.

A cheap stem might seem "fine", but once you try a better quality stem (doesn't need to be hundreds of dollars) you'll be amazed how a stem which otherwise looks the same dimension wise can totally change the handling of your bike.
to be honest, I'm skeptical of that statement, but am always open to trying and feeling the difference between stuff, but can't see myself going that route, prefer to put time and money into other bike stuff.
djb is online now  
Likes For djb:
Old 01-07-21, 11:56 AM
  #27  
Germany_chris
Senior Member
 
Germany_chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern Germany
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
What stem do you use? It looks similar to an old Trek System 2 with the hidden bolt from the 90s. Its neat, I guess, but it otherwise looks the same as a silver or black 17 degree stem.
Thatís the old one




This is the new one...Nitto CT5

that one is now on what will be a townie
Germany_chris is offline  
Old 01-07-21, 12:20 PM
  #28  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 12,001

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked 2,107 Times in 1,259 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
Aesthetics is totally useless when you have functionality and performance to consider first.

A cheap stem might seem "fine", but once you try a better quality stem (doesn't need to be hundreds of dollars) you'll be amazed how a stem which otherwise looks the same dimension wise can totally change the handling of your bike.
Wait- so 2 threadless stems that are the same length, angle, and clamp size will perform so differently that it will 'totally change the handling' of my bike?
Just...what?

What stems specifically are you referring to? I would be interested to know what stems you have used where this is the case.

I could see a redstop stem performing differently compared to a rigid stem, but thats because they are different designs and meant to perform differently.
Currently I have an Easton EA50, an Easton EA70, a Ritchey WCS Aluminum, a couple Kalloy 7 UL, a Kalloy Uno, and a VeloOrange stem. They are all alloy, 7 degree(or 6 for the Eastons, i think?), and 31.8mm clamp(the VO is 26.0). When swapping them out, I have never noticed any of them 'totally change the handling' of my bike. I like the Kalloy 7 because its the lightest of any. I like the Ritchey WCS because of the vanity. But nope, none change the handling.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-07-21, 12:43 PM
  #29  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 12,001

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked 2,107 Times in 1,259 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
Thatís the old one

This is the new one...Nitto CT5
that one is now on what will be a townie
So a steel stem that is fillet brazed with welded bolt clamps. The fillet brazing does make it look nice.

This is 100mm long, weighs 107g, and cost $24usd. It certainly seems attractive?...forgive my hesitation, its a stem and Ive never given it this much thought.


And my chrome VO stem has no visible welding(fillet aesthetic) and cost $35.

I think I may need to start looking at stems and contemplate them a bit more to better understand what makes them attractive.
Huh. Time to ponder.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 01-07-21, 12:49 PM
  #30  
Germany_chris
Senior Member
 
Germany_chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern Germany
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
So a steel stem that is fillet brazed with welded bolt clamps. The fillet brazing does make it look nice.

This is 100mm long, weighs 107g, and cost $24usd. It certainly seems attractive?...forgive my hesitation, its a stem and Ive never given it this much thought.


And my chrome VO stem has no visible welding(fillet aesthetic) and cost $35.

I think I may need to start looking at stems and contemplate them a bit more to better understand what makes them attractive.
Huh. Time to ponder.
The problem with aluminum stems as you saw id they're too big for the 1" head tube. which is why I went to steel with steel spacers.

We all gotta float out own boat my stem/spacers are worth every dollar I spent on them, they may not be to someone else. I have never looked for the cheapest way to any objective I've always done things the way I want them done which is probably why I don't N+1
Germany_chris is offline  
Old 01-07-21, 12:54 PM
  #31  
phughes
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,963
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Wait- so 2 threadless stems that are the same length, angle, and clamp size will perform so differently that it will 'totally change the handling' of my bike?
Just...what?

What stems specifically are you referring to? I would be interested to know what stems you have used where this is the case.

I could see a redstop stem performing differently compared to a rigid stem, but thats because they are different designs and meant to perform differently.
Currently I have an Easton EA50, an Easton EA70, a Ritchey WCS Aluminum, a couple Kalloy 7 UL, a Kalloy Uno, and a VeloOrange stem. They are all alloy, 7 degree(or 6 for the Eastons, i think?), and 31.8mm clamp(the VO is 26.0). When swapping them out, I have never noticed any of them 'totally change the handling' of my bike. I like the Kalloy 7 because its the lightest of any. I like the Ritchey WCS because of the vanity. But nope, none change the handling.
Yeah, it only took a second to realize who posted that. I didn't see the original comment. I put him on ignore a while ago, and now my world is a little less moist.
phughes is offline  
Old 01-07-21, 01:03 PM
  #32  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 12,001

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked 2,107 Times in 1,259 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
The problem with aluminum stems as you saw id they're too big for the 1" head tube. which is why I went to steel with steel spacers.

We all gotta float out own boat my stem/spacers are worth every dollar I spent on them, they may not be to someone else. I have never looked for the cheapest way to any objective I've always done things the way I want them done which is probably why I don't N+1
Ooh, good point on the 1" head tube dilemma. Yeah, I can see why a bulky stem wouldn't look great in that scenario and you would look for a sleek/slim option.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 01-07-21, 01:06 PM
  #33  
Germany_chris
Senior Member
 
Germany_chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern Germany
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Ooh, good point on the 1" head tube dilemma. Yeah, I can see why a bulky stem wouldn't look great in that scenario and you would look for a sleek/slim option.
You have the same problem I do..
Germany_chris is offline  
Old 01-07-21, 01:51 PM
  #34  
robow
Senior Member
 
robow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,503
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 73 Posts
I've used a lot Ritchey and Dimension stems over the years, a good value for the dollar, but then, then I put on a Thomson stem, and my world changed. The bike handled so much nicer than before, it was faster and more efficient, My wife claimed that I even looked more stylish while riding. I pity those that haven't experienced such a revelation that a mere upgrade of a stem can provide.
robow is offline  
Likes For robow:
Old 01-07-21, 07:50 PM
  #35  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 11,233
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
Thatís the old one




This is the new one...Nitto CT5

that one is now on what will be a townie
I have to say Chris from deutchland (sp?) that is one beautiful stem. I really do get the aesthetic thing, Ive got a fine arts degree to prove it!
djb is online now  
Likes For djb:
Old 01-08-21, 12:22 AM
  #36  
phughes
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,963
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by robow View Post
I've used a lot Ritchey and Dimension stems over the years, a good value for the dollar, but then, then I put on a Thomson stem, and my world changed. The bike handled so much nicer than before, it was faster and more efficient, My wife claimed that I even looked more stylish while riding. I pity those that haven't experienced such a revelation that a mere upgrade of a stem can provide.
phughes is offline  
Old 01-08-21, 12:24 AM
  #37  
phughes
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,963
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
Thatís the old one




This is the new one...Nitto CT5

that one is now on what will be a townie
That is a thing if beauty. Well done.
phughes is offline  
Likes For phughes:
Old 01-11-21, 07:57 AM
  #38  
Tandem Tom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,242

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 43 Times in 36 Posts
Robbie, how did a different stem make your bike faster?
Tandem Tom is offline  
Old 01-24-21, 02:07 PM
  #39  
surlylhtfan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surlylhtfan View Post
Really not a lot of 26mm bar clamp diameter stems out there online.. At least in less than 100mm length.

Found one 65mm with 9deg, and another 70mm with 17deg.
Well turns out a 2020 (or 2019? 2021?) LHT does NOT have a 26mm bar clamp on the stem
surlylhtfan is offline  
Old 01-24-21, 04:12 PM
  #40  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 11,233
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by surlylhtfan View Post
Well turns out a 2020 (or 2019? 2021?) LHT does NOT have a 26mm bar clamp on the stem
I reckon that for years and years and years they've been using oversize bars, pretty much the standard for eons now.
djb is online now  
Old 01-24-21, 07:18 PM
  #41  
surlylhtfan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb View Post
I reckon that for years and years and years they've been using oversize bars, pretty much the standard for eons now.
Yeah I dont know where I saw 26mm. Spent $40 on a new stem, oh well.

I do have a Jones H-Bar I can try now at least (knowing the stock stem is 31.8)
surlylhtfan is offline  
Old 01-25-21, 12:48 PM
  #42  
phughes
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,963
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by surlylhtfan View Post
Yeah I dont know where I saw 26mm. Spent $40 on a new stem, oh well.

I do have a Jones H-Bar I can try now at least (knowing the stock stem is 31.8)
You probably saw a thread, or specs referring to an older LHT. My 2011 LHT has a 26mm stem.
phughes is offline  
Old 01-25-21, 02:06 PM
  #43  
seeker333
-
 
seeker333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,864

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
These are nice to own, many at Amazon for 10 bucks or less:



https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Calip.../dp/B07DFFYCXS
seeker333 is offline  
Old 01-25-21, 02:08 PM
  #44  
seeker333
-
 
seeker333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,864

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by djb View Post
I reckon that for years and years and years they've been using oversize bars, pretty much the standard for eons now.
Yes, 26.0 started to fade a decade ago, lingering on niche bikes (touring).
seeker333 is offline  
Old 01-25-21, 03:09 PM
  #45  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 11,233
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333 View Post
Yes, 26.0 started to fade a decade ago, lingering on niche bikes (touring).
trekking bars that we have in the few stores that stock them here are 26. Had to find new stems to figure out what stem to use when I put them on my wifes bike a few years back.
djb is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.