Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Anyone here owns the Big Agnes FlyCreek 1 Bikepacking version tent?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 11-19-20, 03:02 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts

pm me please.
Old 11-19-20, 03:36 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
I don't, but my GF and I recently did quite a bit of research on the FlyCreek 1 and similar tents. Folks love or dislike the the Fly Creek due to the end-entry. Most seem to prefer side entry tents in that size.

In the end, my GF ordered a Copper Spur HV UL1 off of Steep and Cheap. Paid $262..very good price..based on all the searching we did. Should be arriving tomorrow. Cut her tent weight in half..she's pumped..
Likes For fishboat:
Old 11-19-20, 03:48 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Side entry works better for me. YMMV.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-19-20, 06:00 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I had the Big Agnes Tiger UL. Liked everything about it (side entry), great in rain, lightweight, handle winds well............I hated the zippers. Zipper broke at the end of its first packing trip (canoeing trip in the Adirondacks). They need to beef up the zippers, I prefer tarps these days and zippers on UL tents are not good.
Old 11-19-20, 06:47 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus

pm me please.

I don’t have the bikepacking version...the poles are shorter...but I do have one. I find it to be an excellent tent. Easy to pitch, light, and durable. The size is good for cool weather since you don’t have to heat up that much volume. Getting into it is, well, different. I stand in front of it and back in rather then try to go in head first and turn around (I’m not that flexible anymore).

You can see it on the bike in these pictures (orange bag)

The bikepacking version is 5x12” where this one is 4x19”. I haven’t had any issues with the longer tent, although I can see why a narrower one would be a plus.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-19-20, 07:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I have a Fly Creek UL 2 HV but not the bikepacking version yet but I may end up getting those poles to replace ones that got broken by another tent.

My tent is a side entry technically, yes it is not on the side most people would want it but the front and back of the tent are sides of it as well .

I love the tent, I don't know that I would want a smaller version as the 2 person at the time when I did a ton of research was one of the lightest non-boutique options out there and wasn't exceptionally heavier than the 1p version so I was sold. Plus putting it up is easy and it is nicely roomy for what it is. If I had to do it again I would probably go with the same tent (or very similar if they drop it from the line up) as I like it. The Copper Spur UL2 is another one on the list if I wanted to carry a little extra weight which isn't bad. I find my tent must be 2p if I want to have some comfort and a little storage or snuggle next to someone which is always nice after a day of touring.
Old 11-21-20, 08:27 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus

pm me please.
I have the FlyCreek 2 and love it. It's very light and fits on the handlebars very nicely. I got the 2 and use it solo. The weight difference between the 1 and 2 is negligible and the packed size is also minor. I've used it on one 3 day bike packing trip and it was perfect.