Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Clipless/Platform Pedals

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Clipless/Platform Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 11:58 PM
blakiki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clipless/Platform Pedals

What does anyone think about these? They can also be found here I want to put them on my old Stumpjumper, I think they'd be better for trail riding than my toe clips.

I use clips because I ride the bike to commute, but when I change into the Hardrockr tires and take it to the trails I feel like I want clipless, though the plats are preferable during some trickier segments.

Also, does anyone know if the same cleats work with all/most SPD pedals? I'm building a real commuter from this and would like to be able to use my same shoes with all my bikes.

Here is the bike btw, Rigid from '87
Old 10-30-10, 09:18 AM
Peacob

Bikes: lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are a little more, but i'd recommend the crank bros - mallet pedals.... great platform, and suprisingly light
Old 10-30-10, 12:07 PM
blakiki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peacob
They are a little more, but i'd recommend the crank bros - mallet pedals.... great platform, and suprisingly light
Well, those seem to be around $100, while the SPD's are 50 at amazon, what kind of cleats do these use? Or rather, all crank bros. pedals will work with the same cleats, no?
Old 10-30-10, 12:09 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mallets will suck with regular shoes. As will any clipless pedal. And you won't want to pay attention to making sure the right side of that SPD is up on the trail. Either have two sets of pedals to swap in and out or get a high quality set of platforms that will be good on the trail.
Old 10-31-10, 02:02 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Those dual sided pedals are a compromise. Flat pedal on one side, clipless on the other. IMO, either go with a platform pedal or clipless. When you're on the trail, having to look down to see if the correct side is up when you want to clip in would be a hassle.

All Shimano pedals and their clones use SPD cleats. Crank Brothers use a different cleat, and to my knowledge not compatible with SPD. Same with TIME ATAC pedals/cleats.

I have a pair of Time Atac Z pedals on my commuter because I wanted a clipless pedal with a large platform that I can ride with my cycling shoes and street shoes.
Old 10-31-10, 02:14 PM
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You gotta be CRAZY to ride clipless on a trail.
Old 10-31-10, 02:36 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You gotta commit. Those pedals are like Hybrids and Cyclocross...just make up your freakin' mind and roll widdit.

I you're afraid of falling and wanna get your little feet down...then get a road bike. Go clipless for trail riding and flat for high-bailout riding...FR/DJ.
Old 11-02-10, 09:41 AM
blakiki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, I guess I'll just get some clipless, and change them out with the platforms if I want to.
Thanks for the tough advice, chelboed
Old 11-02-10, 10:19 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I made the switch from toe clips to clipless about 6 weeks ago. I have some new bruises to show for it. Get really good at the exit plan if you are clipped in. I am second guessing making the move. There are times when it is great being connected to the power train and downhills are much more secure. It has actually been climbing that has hurt me. When you start to fall you have to get a foot free fast!

The pedals you are looking at let you run to the store or Starbucks in you regular shoes and then clip in when you want to break a bone. They will work. I have the Crank Egg Beaters.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-02-10, 10:19 AM
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone explain why clipless is called clipless when it clips to the pedal**********? Thanks!1!!!!!
Old 11-02-10, 10:34 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by junkyard
Can someone explain why clipless is called clipless when it clips to the pedal**********? Thanks!1!!!!!
YEAH!!! whoever came up with these terms. Clipless makes sense for a platform. Clipped in makes sense to me.

Feet Belts and Toe Clips make sense.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-02-10, 12:24 PM
kh777

Bikes: Colnago VIP, Specialized Langster Comp, Specialized Epic, Don Walker track, John Cherry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before clipless pedals came along there were toe clips. So I'm guessing that's why they are called clipless: (toe)clip-less.

Originally Posted by junkyard
Old 11-02-10, 12:33 PM
kh777

Bikes: Colnago VIP, Specialized Langster Comp, Specialized Epic, Don Walker track, John Cherry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have similar pedals in my collection (nashbar/forte campus pedals). Idea sounds great in theory but in practice I didn't like fumbling to get to the side I want to use. So they are relegated to guest bike usage.

Shimano and others do make platform adapters (like these https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCate..._200276_200316), so you can turn any SPD MTB pedals to one-sided platform, if you don't want to buy the PD-M324. One of the Gary Fisher hardtails I bought even came with them as standard accessory (on top of the PD-M505 pedals).
Old 11-02-10, 12:48 PM
adclark
What's a bike?

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I actually have this exact set of pedals on my mountain bike. They aren't that bad when it comes to clipping in because the clipless side always faces back. Plus, if you miss, you can still use the other side for a stroke or two. They don't have the best ground clearance though so you will have to be careful there. IMO, for commuting, they are great. The platform is plenty big also. If you want something strictly for trail riding though, I would go with clipless on both sides. The only reason I haven't changed them yet is because I don't want to spend the money on new ones right now. I had these left over from a commuter I sold with regular platform pedals, so I put them on so I at least have some form of clipless on my mountain bike.