Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

How do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 11:44 AM
subzeroLV

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2, 2010 Trek 7.2FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you do it?

How do you stay motivated to get fit and lose weight?

I'm trying...I really am, but it's so damn hard. I started biking to lose weight and get fit. I started at about 235 lbs. almost 2 months ago. I'm not riding as much as I'd like, due to shorter daylight hours, not enough time, etc... Just excuses really.

I was also tracking what I ate. I found apps for the iPhone, and was using them religiously... for a while. Now it's becoming more of a chore. I just can't seem to stay motivated to continue tracking and paying attention to what I'm shoving in.

Just as an fyi... I also just quit smoking. It's been 13 days now smoke-free! I always heard that most people gained some weight when they quit, but certainly that wouldn't happen to me right? Well guess again. As of this morning I'm at 238 lbs.

It's the night time snacks that get me. I eat a reasonable breakfast, like a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios. Then for lunch usually a sandwich. Ham or sometimes bologna. Dinner is decent for the most part... Chicken, pork chops, steak, etc..., usually with veggies, or maybe rice. But later at night, the snacking starts. Another bowl of cereal, maybe a sandwich. I just can't seem to avoid the hunger.

Can I just blame quitting smoking? That sure would make it easier. Help me out. What do you do to ward off the night time hunger?

Sorry for the long post, but the whole time I was typing, I wasn't smoking or eating
Old 10-14-10, 12:07 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest that you focus on eating a healthier, balanced diet. From your description you are consuming way too much meat and no where near enough vegetables. Don't think diet, think a permanent change in eating habits.

Like you I used to eat predominantly meat with sides like pasta or rice and occasionally a vegetable; potatoes. I really didn't like the taste of vegetables. Starting a few months ago I made some gradual changes. First I got rid of all of the junk food snacks (potato chips, etc.) I kept fruit in the house and used that as a snack whenever I was hungry. Then I started adding one vegetable a week to my food choices. I ended up making one meal a day a salad. The salad could have as much lettuce and cucumbers as I wanted and then I would add one or two small tomatoes, about 2 ounces of meat (I initially used bacon since it was so satisfying) and then would put the plate on a scale and zero it out to measure a single serving of dressing (ranch in my case). I would occasionally splurge and add a single serving of shredded cheese.

When I first started I weighed 260 pounds (8/1) as of last weekend (I only weigh myself once a week) I was 234 pounds. Now I found I had to increase the ammount I ate to keep the weight loss in the 1-2 pound per week range. As time goes on I have found I have started to like the taste of the vegetables. I eat plenty of food to keep from feeling hunger, which includes have a sensible portion of a healthy snack when I actually feel hunger (as opposed to boredom). Other than measuring food with a scale to learn what a real portion looks like; I don't count calories or carbs. I just eat a healthy well balanced diet (40-50% carbs, 20-30% protein, and 20-30% fat). The key is to choose healthier foods for the categories; ie. whole grains and vegetable based carbs, unsaturated fats, and smaller/better meat choices. The other thing I don't do is deny myself a food I want. If I want pizza for instance, I have a slice (as opposed a third of a pie like I used to). I also balance it with a salad (which helps to keep me full) and I don't have it 2-3 times a week. The other thing that helps avert hunger is to eat slower and chew more.

As to riding, I am now up to 6 rides a week (once per day, with one day off) and about 7 hours of time. I mix in using the bike for errands such as grocery shopping to make the best use of my time. What helps is that I actually enjoy riding. If you find it to be a chore, then I suggest you look at other physical activities that you ENJOY doing. If you enjoy it, you'll make the time to do it.
Old 10-14-10, 12:54 PM
Brian Sharpe

Bikes: Marin Larkspur / Giant Defy Alliance 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, you don't say how tall you so we'll assume from your post that you're not 7 feet tall and skinny.

First - good on you for quitting smoking. IMO that is far more important in terms of improving your health than worrying about your weight. When I quit (almost 20 years ago) I immediately discovered that food tasted so good and managed to peak at 235 (I'm 5'10").

I'm also going to go against the grain & tell you to stop counting everything. Eating is supposed to be pleasurable not some chore and for most people keeping track of every crumb you consume is a PITA and will just make you resent your "diet". I've managed to get down to about 202 by simply being aware of what I'm putting in my mouth, cutting back portion sizes (a 6" sub at lunch instead of a 12") and cutting out the snacks. If you do feel compelled to snack eat fresh fruits, keep baby carrots in the fridge so they're convenient. As myrridin aptly pointed out focus on a balanced, healthy, sustainable change to your eating habits.

Quit the excuses for not exercising, if daylight hours are a problem join a gym / spinning class. Even if the lbs don't fall off as fast as you'd like a regular exercise program (both strength & cardio) will make you feel a lot better. Exercise becomes it's own reward after a while.
Old 10-14-10, 12:55 PM
malux

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the diet. Here are some changes I made in the last 3 weeks that help me lose 6lbs so far.

1) this may seen odd to be #1 but i think it's the most important: regular sleep schedule. Good sleep helps you control your appetite (lack of sleep leads to carbo hunger). It also keeps you from becoming mentally exhausted. There are a ton of benefits, those are 2

2) Eat more earlier in the day. A bowl of cheerios is carbs and that won't fill you. I bet you feel hungry pretty quick after breakfast and you fight it hunger all day. I have 2 eggs, 2 pieces of dry toast and 2 slices of turkey bacon 5-6 days a week. I still have some cereal here and there on the weekends. I also eat string cheese/some protien and an apple 1 hr before dinner. Helps keep my dinner portions down.

3) Regulate your blood sugar: eat main meals + small snacks throughout the day. This way you aren't feeling too-full then too-hungry all day long.

4) Don't go insane. I used to be like you with monitoring every calorie. Some people say i'm ocd, but i say i'm cdo because it's in alphabetical order . Seriously though, it becomes a chore. I now try to focus on: 1) eating earlier in the day, eating good foods, and not being too hungry or too full.

5) Regular exercise: for me, exercise helps me control my portion sizes and the type of food i eat. I don't know why (i think there may be some research showing this pattern, but I'm not sure - take my advice as anecdotal). Regular sleep + regular exercise helps you improve your diet because your body now has a daily cycle that it follows.

6) eat something before bed. I was having trouble because i kept waking up hungry in the middle of the night. A half peanut butter and Jelly sandwich solved this for me. Don't try to go to bed hungry but don't eat a ton.

7) Fat isn't evil. Ok, don't go nuts here. some fat is good, it has a lot of benefits and in moderation (when eaten at the right times) can be helpful (e.g. PB&J before bed).

6) cheat a little here and there. I do this on the weekends: I have a little ice-cream, some pizza, maybe a Burger. Don't go nuts, but have a day to indulge a little. If you go nuts on saturday, take it easy on sunday.

7) Cheat a little on the weeekdays too. 3-5 potato chips arent going to kill you or wreck your eating cycle. If my wife makes cookies. I'm having 1-3. But that's it. I make sure i'm not feeling too full or too sugrared though.

8) Eat slower. There's research indicating slower eaters are able to control caloric input. Moral: enjoy your meals, don't make them a chore (i'm still learning this one)

Well, that's a ton of info that's worked for me. I hope it helps.
Old 10-14-10, 01:19 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lot's of good advice in this thread. I'll try and add some of what has helped me.

I do weigh myself every single day. At the same time, (first thing in the morning) au natural and after going to the bathroom. I don't focus religiously on the numbers, but charting my daily weight has helped me gain a clearer perspective of how my food choices and exercise (or lack thereof) is affected over time.

Likewise with the above information, I also log all my workout, bike rides, and steps from my pedometer. Again, it gives me a clear picture of how my activity level affects my weight over time. The key is not to obsess over these numbers.

When it comes to food consumption and calorie counting - I used an online source to count and log all my intake until I started to better understand a few things. I learned what actual servings sizes are. I learned how to read nutritional labels CORRECTLY. I learned that certain foods (high in fiber and protein) helped me feel more full for longer periods of time. I learned that carbs are great at certain times of the day, and not as great at others. Once I got the hang of what I enjoy eating, what to eat and when, as well as how much, I didn't feel the need to continue counting every single calorie. I now know how to make healthy choices that work for me. Periodically, I get a plateau beginning to develop, at which point I go "back to the drawing board" and adjust the formula a little bit.

I know hearing this doesn't necessarily help you, but "it will get easier." Stick with it. If I can do this, anyone can.
Old 10-14-10, 01:25 PM
subzeroLV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the replies! Very good tips here. I really think the sleep is a factor for me. I go to bed fairly late (11 -12) and am up by 5:30am or so. Tonite I'll try replacing the cereal or sandwich with some baby carrots, and tomorrow seems like a good morning to try some eggs for breakfast.

Thanks again for the help. I'm going do better.
Old 10-14-10, 01:32 PM
malux

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try to get some proteins + carbs when you eat. Carbs make you happy (faster to sugar) and proteins keep your blood sugar from crashing long term.

Hang in there and do what the rest of us do: use the forum for motivation
Old 10-14-10, 02:10 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have been dieting for 7 months and doing pretty well on a very restricted medically monitored diet, but just last week I wigged out. Yesterday I ate french fries and fried chicken. then I went on a 22 mile ride. I felt like I was going to vomit for the first 45 minutes. I felt like crap the whole time. Eating that crap did nothing but punish me physically. It wasn't worth it. Needless to say, I am back on track today and intend to stay that way for the duration. Sometimes all you need is a little reminder of how it feels to eat unhealthy food.
Old 10-14-10, 02:11 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
motivation is EXTREMELY personal. I won't share mine but if you don't have it - then nothing is gonna carry you through. with it you can accomplish quite a lot. some tips: be patient. meaning: day after day; week after week; month after month and year after year you will see improvements. also, stay off the scale and eliminate the crap from your diet. you want a snack eat a chicken cutlet. you want a treat eat some olives or a pickle.
Old 10-14-10, 02:40 PM
Fang66

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Ultegra, Katakura Silk Single Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck quiting smoking, I think it's the best thing you can do for yourself and even more important than losing weight.

I was a long term heavy smoker. I couldn't quit by myself so I used a smoking cessation drug called Chantix it helped alot. It has varying degrees of success though but if you lapse I'd recommend giving it a try.

After I quit I gained a few pounds, but because I'm so much fitter and have alot more energy now it was no problem to lose weight.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-10, 02:41 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
So far some good tidbits of information.

Try changing things around for motivation. Like another poster mentioned, don't think diet. It is a lifestyle change. Protein and fiber tend to fill you up without extra calories. Also beware of foods with simple sugar and are highly processed.

Make riding a goal. Small things like riding to the store instead of driving. Going for a ride around the city to see the leaves change colors. Whatever will get you interested. You don't have to ride for fitness. You could try going to the gym twice a week or walking places instead of riding the escalator.

Changes don't have to be abrupt and large. Small things can make a big difference. Their is also a synergism that takes place when done together.

Anyway, good luck and hope this helps.
Old 10-14-10, 02:43 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

No, that wasn't an insult about eating habits, I'm trying to say focus on one thing at a time. It should be all about quitting smoking right now. I struggle making two life changes at once. I would say don't go hog wild but dont' worry about the weight, just make sure you get plenty of time not smoking behind you and that you will not go back to that drug when things get difficult. Then work on your weight. And yes, make lifestyle changes, not dieting.
Old 10-14-10, 02:52 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_738387.html

Drew Carey lost over 80 lbs. It's a good story.
Old 10-14-10, 03:11 PM
subzeroLV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a good point about focusing on staying smoke free. I already feel so much better, and it's only been 13 days. I'll keep my main focus on that, while still trying to watch what I eat. I've also got to get back on the bike. I like riding. I really do. I just have to make the effort to actually do it.
Old 10-14-10, 04:51 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Don't beat yourself up too much over the smoking cessation weight gain. It isn't behavioral, or at least it isn't totally. The most recent studies show stopping smoking actually affects your metabolism. So even if food in take and exercise remain constant, you're likely to gain some weight.
Old 10-14-10, 05:43 PM
Greg_R

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The most important thing is to find a healthy routine that is enjoyable. If it's not enjoyable you will not continue to do it. Enjoyable means different things to different people... maybe you like the solitude of a country bike ride whereas others may enjoy meeting new people @ a spin class each week.

It sounds like cycling is not your enjoyable activity, otherwise you'd be doing more of it. For me, my daily enjoyable activity is riding home from work & then going on a brisk walk with my son; YMMV.

Dinner is decent for the most part... Chicken, pork chops, steak, etc..., usually with veggies, or maybe rice. But later at night, the snacking starts. Another bowl of cereal, maybe a sandwich. I just can't seem to avoid the hunger.
I would recommend a salad heavy with high fiber vegetables (watch the dressing!). One trick is to dice up the meat and put it into the salad... the fat makes those veggies taste better :-). The fiber will keep you full for a longer period of time (unlike meat and rice).
Old 10-14-10, 07:05 PM
Seve

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wouldn't beat yourself up too much, nor take on too much at a time.

Stopping smoking is enough on its' own for most mortals.
https://allencarr.com/central/
https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-...7102906&sr=8-1
This is the book that did it for me, as odd as that may seem, it does work.

What you are undertaking is really a lifestyle change and not just a diet. You should attempt to see it as healthy eating and not a diet as you are trying to change your eating pattern and or routines.

There have been lots of great suggestions, so I would only add that you need to make some specific, realistic and measurable goals for each week. One or two at the most related to exercise, healthy eating or even thoughts.

Plan your meals and snacks in advance. This is not the easiest, but make up a worksheet for each meal 3 to 4 days in advance which will allow you to shop accordingly. There are lots of healthy eating guides out there with information on portions and calories as well.
You do not want to lose the weight and then gain it back, you want to be able to maintain the weight loss. Without eating healthy you will not be able to do it.

Remember you are changing the way you live, so it does take time and it does demand a disciplined approach to be successful.
You obviously have a reason that you want to lose weight so keep reminding yourself of that once in while as well.

Off my soap box ....
Old 10-14-10, 07:18 PM
cooleric1234

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you do get to the weight loss the thing that worked for me were some simple rules. I basically came up with a version of the No-S diet before I had heard of it. One thing to keep in mind is you'll be hungry for a few weeks until your body gets used to it mentally and physically. Kind of like stopping an addiction like smoking :-) Then it becomes easier. Plus, once the pounds start coming off I found that was exciting to me and motivated me to continue.
Old 10-14-10, 09:48 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_738387.html

Drew Carey lost over 80 lbs. It's a good story.
Here's the full article in Parade:

https://www.parade.com/health/2010/09...y.html?index=1

Old 10-15-10, 07:50 AM
doc0c

Bikes: 2010 Trek Allant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm quite surprised nobody has mentioned this yet. I have observed, and it is actually an accepted fact, that too much sodium in the diet can hinder weight loss through water retention and appetite stimulation. Tracking what you eat is not necessarily a bad thing as you start your weight loss because it shows you where and when you eat too much (carbs/protein/fat/sugar/sodium). I use MyPlate (do a google search) because it is really easy and takes the counting out of calorie counting. Finally, remember that you are not losing weight in order to be fit, you are becoming fit while losing weight. The fitness level and overall improvement in your body is the end goal, not the weight loss. If it was the weight loss you could just sell the bike and get a lap band.
Old 10-15-10, 08:29 AM
gunner65

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll for Street and Airborne Hobgoblin for dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went south beach style a few months back and have no problems with this type of "diet" saying diet loosly as I really do not feel deprived. I now eat two eggs and two pieces of bacaon every morning and love it healthy snacks are a must fruits/nuts/whole wheat/cheeses whats not to love. I have lost 20 lbs so far and do not foresee going back to a high sugar/carb lifestyle anytime.
Old 10-15-10, 08:36 AM
runner pat

Bikes: Invacare Force 3 handcycle

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Is commuting to work a possibility? I had much better success controlling my weight when I was riding twice a day.
Old 10-15-10, 09:15 AM
magohn

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think your trying to hard! That's a huge set of lifestyle choices all in a short amount of time. Congrats on all your efforts so far!

I'd start simple - every other day go for an enjoyable local bike ride - not too hard and not too easy - just hard enough. As for diet, I watched an interview with John Travolta where he was discussing how he dropped a bunch of weight for a movie (he struggles with weight too), his "trick" was to eat sensibly through the day and then NOTHING but water after 6pm. I have tried this approach and have lost 30lbs in six months - not earth shattering but slow, steady and liveable...

Until you are a bike convert (It will come) - Id keep it simple, you dont want the bike to represent "work" and denial of food etc, you want it to be something positive. I have been riding steady since February and some days I dont want to ride due to being tired/cold/hungry and that's OK. It took me 15 yrs to get this overweight so Im not expecting miracles in 6 months

HTH
Old 10-15-10, 09:52 AM
subzeroLV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really need to come to terms with the fact that it's a lifestyle change. It started last night. Instead of reaching for chips or cereal in the evening, I munched some carrot sticks and cucumber slices. Ya know...it wasn't so bad.

Also went for a bike ride. Not for heart rate, or cadence, but for fun. Even took my wife and 12 yo son with. We had fun! Just over 5 miles, but it felt good. I have commuted to work a couple times so far. The back pack I carry can get a bit heavy, so I think some panniers are in my future. It's only about 3 miles round trip, but that's 3 miles I wouldn't normally get.

I really appreciate all the advice and encouragement.
Old 10-15-10, 09:55 AM
cooleric1234

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuting is what makes cycling happen for me. With work, family, church and other responsibilities I wouldn't have time to go for many rides. But when I combine cycling with my commute I kill two birds with one stone, I get less resentment from the family, makes the work day go better, and doesn't take that much longer than driving. Living close to work is ideal for bike commuting. If you are in a rush or it's bad weather you can go straight there, but you always have the option of lengthening the commute for more of a workout.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.