Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much does weight affect.........

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How much does weight affect.........

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-18, 10:08 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by bergerkjh
Ok I see what’s going on here. We all hate the fixed gear guy because you nerds love your gears and think you’re so cool shifting and clipping in, and wear spandex with sewed in diapers and let’s also point out choosing the easiest gear possible to ride in, I see you out there. Option B youre too stupid to understand my initial statement. At no point did I request advice on my bike.

I specifically asked what effect losing 10lbs would be. Think physics not biology. Maybe show some inkling of proof, maybe even a graph or calculation. Duh get some gears. Never should of mentioned the climbs, I apologize for misleading you. But I also stated I’m going 30ph so do you really think I’m out of shape and can’t get up the hills?

Now......with everyone mentioning 10lbs or 4% lighter not going to help much. Clearly you did not bother reading the article that was so politely shared.

I expected some actual inteligent comments here. Clearly the bulk of you spend more time trolling here than riding.

“Here’s another one. On a hilly loop course, a 20-pound weight difference in bikes yielded a 13.6-percent drop in speed. Extrapolating that to your 12-pound weight difference, you’d be looking at an eight-percent speed loss.

Personally, I would find a six-percent or eight-percent speed loss to be rather unbearable, but if you don’t care about that, then no need to spend the extra money”
― Lennard

Oh, c'mon. This is the roadie forum. Helpful comments are frequently incidental. Be that as it may, Racing Dan provided a calculator link in post 22. Run the numbers yourself, say for a 6% grade. Here's another good one: Bicycle Speed (Velocity) And Power Calculator

On my SS rides, I found that learning to pedal perfect circles while seated made the biggest difference in climbing long grades. Easy to pop up short ones standing, harder to keep that up for a couple miles. I used ~70" gear, topped out at 25 or so. A riding buddy of mine uses a 90" gear in the mountains. Beast.
Old 08-02-18, 10:38 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The "physics" answer was succinctly given in post #2 . Correctly IMO. To be frank, the physical calculations are simple and don't leave much room for debate.

The article someone cited did not attempt to justify their experimental result with physical theory, but rather on a limited sample set rides by a single person. The reported result is exaggerated (considerably) from what you'd expect from a physical basis. I would hypothesize that the discrepancy could be explained by overlooked or disregarded confounding factors: training specificity, and completely different types of bikes. He should have used the SAME bike for all of his trials, with the ONLY change between trials some weight added, and only after enough training on BOTH configurations that he could be confident that his technique and physiological adaptations would be more optimal on either configuration.

In short, one would view his result with skepticism.

That said, as for the effect of losing 10 pounds (from your body, not the bike), I would expect the gain (in speed) to be a bit better than the percentage gain expected from theory, and precisely because of the adaptations in the body and technique. This is often observed and commented on, and there's no special reason to doubt those who do. For example, you may be able to power over a particular hill whereas before you'd tend to conserve energy because previously you know you're going to blow up taking it too fast. The effect on speed - overall including both ascent and descent - is amplified because if you transfer the power saved by going slower uphill to the downhill portion, you never make up the loss in time. Just one of the several adaptations from weight loss which could impact the speed more than the physics would suggest.
Old 08-02-18, 11:13 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
In my experience, each 10lb is worth an extra tooth in the back.

Don't dismiss the physics, though. 10 lb is about 5%, and each tooth is about 6%. Not a coincidence.
Old 08-03-18, 03:42 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Train harder, ride faster. Lose the weight if you can ... But what if you Do lose the weight, and find that a few percentage points change is insignificant on those hills .... i.e. you have to get off and walk ten yards further uphill?

Train harder, or with better focus, .... do HIIT and hill repeats, maybe even add some leg lifts in the gym.

As for people hating fixies .... LOL a think-skinned New Yorker. Didn't know they made them.

Ride what you like, like what you ride. You want to climb hills, train to climb hills.
Old 08-03-18, 06:43 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
@bergerkjh

I ride fixed gear on the road in hilly North Georgia. I've also lived and worked in NYC for 44 years (N and R from Queens Center) and know the terrain. I've also lost 32 lb this year which is 16% of my body weight. 5' 10" and went from 198 to 166.

Weight loss was the number one thing I've ever done to increase performance. There is no question.

Contrary to what others here say, you will definitely feel 10 lb. How much you will feel it is unknown but you will feel it, especially on hills. As a matter of fact, apart from the scale and how your clothes fit, hills will be the first place weight loss is evident.

I'm saying this from experience as one who has 178,000 feet climbing so far this year. This is not theoretical.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-03-18 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-03-18, 07:02 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
If I was doing 30 mph in a 48X19 (that's around 150rpm?) I wouldn't have anything left for a hill either. I agree, 10 lbs should make a difference.
Old 08-03-18, 07:11 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
In my experience, each 10lb is worth an extra tooth in the back.

Don't dismiss the physics, though. 10 lb is about 5%, and each tooth is about 6%. Not a coincidence.
In my experience also, this is about right. You have to take total weight into account, though. In my case, I weight around 200. 10lb loss is good for one cog, not any more.
Old 08-03-18, 07:25 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
@bergerkjh

I ride fixed gear on the road in hilly North Georgia. I've also lived and worked in NYC for 44 years (N and R from Queens Center) and know the terrain. I've also lost 32 lb this year which is 16% of my body weight. 5' 10" and went from 198 to 166.

Weight loss was the number one thing I've ever done to increase performance. There is no question.

Contrary to what others here say, you will definitely feel 10 lb. How much you will feel it is unknown but you will feel it, especially on hills. As a matter of fact, apart from the scale and how your clothes fit, hills will be the first place weight loss is evident.

I'm saying this from experience as one who has 178,000 feet climbing so far this year. This is not theoretical.

-Tim-
A good example of what I meant with "(a gain) ... because of the adaptations in the body and technique. This is often observed and commented on, and there's no special reason to doubt those who do"

I also ride fixed gear on Georgia roads, in not so severe hills, and I have dropped about 15 pounds to under 150 this year, same height. My experience concurs - I don't float over hills but no question, there is a difference.
Old 08-03-18, 08:57 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Add the weight of the bike to the weight of your body, figure what percentage of that is ten pounds, and that is the percentage lless energy it will take to move the lower mass. Pretty minuscule. if you drop ten pounds of fat ... great. If you drop 15 pounds of fat and ad five in muscle to your legs, better .... but if you ride a lot of high-intensity intervals and hill repeats ... you will actually ride faster and climb hills more easily. Weight loss is never a bad thing .... but it is proportional. Unless you are cutting off your arms ..... not a Huge difference.

Add increased fitness, and ..... well, see what yo see and do what you like .... whatever works for you.
For what it's worth, the conditions that lead to building muscle tissue, and to burning fat, are almost opposite. Losing fat is easy, you just have to burn more calories than you eat. Building muscle is hard, you have to do progressive overload while eating enough carbohydrates and protein, and you almost need to be eating more calories than you burn. It costs a lot of energy to build muscle, and to maintain it, so the body doesn't like doing that in lean times. Most people will be better served taking the two goals you mentioned separately, one then the other.
Old 08-03-18, 11:12 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Ok I see what’s going on here. We all hate the fixed gear guy because you nerds love your gears and think you’re so cool shifting and clipping in, and wear spandex with sewed in diapers and let’s also point out choosing the easiest gear possible to ride in, I see you out there. Option B youre too stupid to understand my initial statement. At no point did I request advice on my bike.
Wowza, someone simply says "you could use some gears" and you flip out. Sore topic? Why are you posting in the 'spandex diaper' forum? Get some gears or train harder with what you have.
Old 08-03-18, 11:56 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If Central Park and NYC bridges are a problem, you should get some gears.
Nah. Plenty of ordinary folks manage Harlem Hill with a single gear. I figure a combination of losing a little weight and training a little more will have the usual multiplying effect and he'd do fine.
Old 08-03-18, 12:00 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
Studies have been done indicating 12lbs = 1mph in speed on flat ground. But anything over 20mph the aerodynamics starts having a larger effect.
I don't think this is even close to being true. If you have a link to any study on this, I'd be interested in looking at it. I'm not sure I would believe 12lbs = 0.1mph.
Old 08-03-18, 12:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If it's true, a typical pro cyclist would be 12 mph faster if they didn't exist.
Old 08-03-18, 12:20 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Amazing. When I said I was going to drop 10 I didn’t plan on losing muscle. I stated same level of fitness. I’m around 14% body fat, maybe I can cut my calf muscle off for 10lbs lol you avoided the question. Tsk tsk

On the gears comment. You know who you are. Way to not add anything to the discussion. After a few hours riding the bridges just isn’t fun to get home

Now to the intelligent fella who shared the article. Thank you. It’s reasonable to expect with the same effort to go almost 2mph faster and have a much easier time on climbs

I specifically asked what effect losing 10lbs would be. Think physics not biology. Maybe show some inkling of proof, maybe even a graph or calculation. Duh get some gears. Never should of mentioned the climbs, I apologize for misleading you. But I also stated I’m going 30ph so do you really think I’m out of shape and can’t get up the hills?

Now......with everyone mentioning 10lbs or 4% lighter not going to help much. Clearly you did not bother reading the article that was so politely shared.

I expected some actual inteligent comments here. Clearly the bulk of you spend more time trolling here than riding.

“Here’s another one. On a hilly loop course, a 20-pound weight difference in bikes yielded a 13.6-percent drop in speed. Extrapolating that to your 12-pound weight difference, you’d be looking at an eight-percent speed loss.

Personally, I would find a six-percent or eight-percent speed loss to be rather unbearable, but if you don’t care about that, then no need to spend the extra money”
― Lennard

For a guy asking OTHERS for help, you sure seem awfully angry and confrontational.
Old 08-03-18, 12:23 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If it's true, a typical pro cyclist would be 12 mph faster if they didn't exist.
The physics of this is sexist. It's not possible for a rider lighter than 144 lbs to achieve the full 12mph speed increase by disappearing.
Old 08-03-18, 01:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Nah. Plenty of ordinary folks manage Harlem Hill with a single gear.
Exactly, which is why I'm saying that, if he's having issues as it is, using a geared bike is probably a more realistic solution than getting down to 9% body fat just to drop two teeth from the rear cog.
Old 08-03-18, 01:35 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Greetings,

I have a simple question that may get answered in complicated way, or in basic terms. Any help would be appreciated

Im a fixed gear rider in nyc, rides are for fitness and fun ranging from 10-30 miles. Bridges and some parts of Central Park are the extent of my hills and occasionally defeat me. I’m 6 foot 215 and fit, not super cycling fit. I ride a 48x19 gear ratio and some point would like to get a 17 so I’m not spinning like a lunatic at 30mph, but yes I realize I’ll be walking the bike up more bridges when I’m tired.

Heres the big question though. How much effect would it be if I was able to drop 10lbs of my body and get to 205 assuming I maintain relatively same overall fitness level. There must be a calculator out there in terms of watts/speed and weight maybe even with gear ratios and I just can’t find it. If folks are trying to lose grams of their bike I imagine dropping 10lbs has to be significant right?
Unfortunately, only when you are climbing. I'm not saying you shouldn't lose the 10 lbs, but on a flat course the difference-- less than 5% of your body weight-- will probably not be very noticeable. You would probably notice a much larger benefit if you rode consistently, say, 15-20 miles every other day for a month or so. Fitness takes time to build, but diminishes much more quickly. Riding once every 5-7 days, for example, you probably will find that fitness improves slowly, and the longer the gap between rides, the slower it will be. But even if you ride with sufficient frequency to force your body to adapt, it has been wisely observed that "it never gets easier, you just go faster."
Old 08-03-18, 02:01 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Reducing weight makes you faster, but only if it comes from the bike. Crabon is your friend.
Old 08-03-18, 03:01 PM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Probably too late to the party, but from my personal experience: I used to lift weights regularly and ride, my body fat at the time was between 10-12%. When I dropped from 180 to 170lbs (was going through a stressful patch and lost some muscles), I started "flying" up the hills. The difference was unbelievable - wherever I was struggling before became super easy.
My biggest problem at the time was balancing between maintaining/gaining muscle mass while logging longer miles on a bike.
Old 08-03-18, 03:45 PM
H110

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting, I'm 6' and was 180lbs at my heaviest, always athletic and fit. I'm currently 147 and have noticed a lot when I dropped weight. Every 5lbs is a very noticeable difference, both performance wise on the bike and appearance wise in the face and body.
Old 08-03-18, 03:48 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Even 10 lbs is an enormous difference, in my experience. Weight has a significant impact on accelerations, too, and when you're doing that repeatedly, it really adds up.
Old 08-03-18, 03:57 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Greetings,

I have a simple question that may get answered in complicated way, or in basic terms. Any help would be appreciated

Im a fixed gear rider in nyc, rides are for fitness and fun ranging from 10-30 miles. Bridges and some parts of Central Park are the extent of my hills and occasionally defeat me. I’m 6 foot 215 and fit, not super cycling fit. I ride a 48x19 gear ratio and some point would like to get a 17 so I’m not spinning like a lunatic at 30mph, but yes I realize I’ll be walking the bike up more bridges when I’m tired.

Heres the big question though. How much effect would it be if I was able to drop 10lbs of my body and get to 205 assuming I maintain relatively same overall fitness level. There must be a calculator out there in terms of watts/speed and weight maybe even with gear ratios and I just can’t find it. If folks are trying to lose grams of their bike I imagine dropping 10lbs has to be significant right?

Thanks

I'll give you a real-world example. I have lost about 4kg (~9lb) in about 8-10 weeks (just by cutting out my typical bread/chips/carb snacking, and really controlling portion size), and I've seen a difference. For some shorter climbing segments I do on Strava (anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, 5-8%), I'm putting out roughly 20-30 watts less to get the same time, compared to when I was 4kg heavier. I've not PR'd any of my usual climbs yet, but I've come close, and again, the power output is about 20-30 watts less to achieve similar times as my PR.

Apart from comparing my actual power numbers, I don't know of any calculator. Real world results are more important anyway. I'd suggest you lose the weight and find out what happens!

Last edited by cthenn; 08-03-18 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-03-18, 04:22 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
The physics of this is sexist.
LMAO
Old 08-03-18, 06:54 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
If you want to ride a fixie where there are any amount of hills being a reasonably light rider is critical.
Old 08-03-18, 07:08 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Lots of people posting real world experience that 5 lb is noticeable and 10 lb has made a big difference. Most concur that it makes the biggest difference on hills, which is exactly what the OP is asking about.

@79pmooney has the best reason to loose weight - fun.

I'm not sure 10 lb will get the OP from 48x19 to 48x17 but combined with some training it should help.

I lived on Long Island which is flat. Coming from the flatlands, riding over the 59th street bridge was a memorable climb and looking up at the Verrazano Bridge from the BQE on the 5 Borough Bike Tour was frightening.

I wish the OP luck and hopes he lets us know how he does.

-Tim-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.