Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ibis Ripmo - cracked frame. Are all carbon bikes this fragile?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ibis Ripmo - cracked frame. Are all carbon bikes this fragile?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-21, 01:52 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
A buddy of mine, avid rider, but not super fast, has broken every suspension frame he's owned, usually in a pretty short time. The fastest he ever went won him a KOM on a local trail, mainly a downhill, and he did it with a broken swingarm before he realized it was broken.
The frames he broke were all aluminum, BTW. He's between suspension bikes now and riding a decades old rigid frame.

I am in a similar boat - I broke every steel MTB frame I have ever owned within two years of purchase - GT, Concorde, and Norco. THe manufacturers considered these frames 'under warranty' and I got replacements. I have never broken an aluminum MTB frame (GT, Kona), and my Ti frame broke after ~20 years - a crack that started from the deep gouge in the seatstay caused by chain suck.

The moral of the story Is - if you are pushing your equipment hard, failures might happen. Feed your piggy bank when you can so you have a few shekels saved up when you need to replace something, and regularly give your bikes a close inspection to minimize the chance of setting out on an 18 hour unsupported epic with a head tube about to separate from the frame.
Old 10-06-21, 04:12 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,483 Times in 1,839 Posts
You know .... maybe if @ClydeClydeson's "buddy" is also a clyde ..... but look. Professional Riders go a Lot faster and hit a Lot harder. Pro stunt-freeriders do 50- and 100-foot jumps and ride away.

I am not trying to offend anyone ... but anyone who is breaking a bunch of frames is doing it wrong.

Think about it--If I told you I had bought 17 cars in the last seven years and every one of them got wrecked .... would you think it was the cars?
Old 10-06-21, 05:13 PM
Cyclist0105
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
That may be the best strategy for YOU, but it certainly limits your choices and is going to be expensive.
Ever bought a used car? Lots of things can be hidden there……🤔
You are correct, my typo should have said: "second-hand carbon frame bike." The reason is that I am unaware of any carbon manufacture that will warranty a carbon frame. Let me go back to edit that.
Old 10-07-21, 08:36 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Maelochs Yes he is a 'clyde' but not super huge - under 250 lbs, is my guess. The issue is that he rides his bikes for several years, not a single season or two before being given a new one by a sponsor. I've known him for the better part of 20 years and he has broken (I think) 4 frames. The failures are also not catastrophic - he has not been stranded by a bike snapped in half, just notices it feels funny and inspects and finds a crack when he gets home.

Pros break frames too, but you are unlikely to hear about it as it would reflect badly on the sponsors, and it doesn't look good in the videos or photographs.
Old 10-07-21, 10:58 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
I cover all my carbon mtb frames with Invisiframe film. It wouldn't protect against a major hit, but it stops ALL of the minor paint chips. So you would know for sure the difference between a cosmetic paint chip and a serious impact.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-07-21, 11:05 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Those scrapes/indentations to the right of the cracked/flaking section sure don't look like they were from a light love tap - it got crunched hard. Between that and the black marks on the right edge of the pic, this bike looks like it's seen some rough times.
Agreed. Looks like it got raked across a tree stump or rock by the trailside rather than something loose getting kicked up.
Old 10-07-21, 03:16 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,483 Times in 1,839 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Maelochs Yes he is a 'clyde' but not super huge - under 250 lbs, is my guess. The issue is that he rides his bikes for several years, not a single season or two before being given a new one by a sponsor. I've known him for the better part of 20 years and he has broken (I think) 4 frames. The failures are also not catastrophic - he has not been stranded by a bike snapped in half, just notices it feels funny and inspects and finds a crack when he gets home. (emphasis added)
A buddy of mine, avid rider, but not super fast, has broken every suspension frame he's owned, usually in a pretty short time. T(emphasis added)
. One frame in four years is not a "pretty short time." Also, you say he is not riding super fast .... but then say that if one pushes one's equipment really hard, failures might happen. So .... is it every frame in a short time because he pushed hard, or one frame every five years and he doesn't go that fast? Sorry if I am confused but .......

I am in a similar boat - I broke every steel MTB frame I have ever owned within two years of purchase -
And again, we are back to frequent breakage and steel frames, no less.

I have done a fair share of riding including some fairly hard off-road (made big mistakes and crashed hard, mostly) but have never broken a frame except by severe crashing .... and never broken a steel frame unless a car was involved. So, especially considering you say you aren't riding super fast, I wonder why you and your buddy break so many frames? It is unusual, whether you think so or not. (I 'd say do a poll here, but I don't trust most posters .... )

Pros break frames too, but you are unlikely to hear about it as it would reflect badly on the sponsors, and it doesn't look good in the videos or photographs.
I know pros break all kinds of stuff and sometimes it does get on TV, and with the interwebz, a lot of pics get posted ... I don't read the magazines of visit their sites so I don't care about that. Other sites have pics of riders with broken frames ... but they are usually going all-out because they know they can afford to crash more than they can afford not to perform well.

I am not trying to criticize you or your buddy, but I shoot MTB races sometimes, and I see riders of all sizes and skill levels going as fast as they can, and I listen to the stories they tell, and breaking every single frame they buy in a couple years is not a common story.

That's all.
Old 10-07-21, 03:36 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
I have tested wrapping 3 layers of CF around a broken steel fork blade. When it's hardened 2 days later, I put it on the cement garage floor and WHACKED it as hard as I could with a steel hammer. The floor and my wrist suffered more. LOL
That is what I then wrapped my seat tube with, on my heavyweight tour bike.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-08-21 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-07-21, 04:53 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And if you’re concentrating on the task at hand you may not appreciate the severity of a hit. I broke a rail of a pretty new saddle during an event ride. Didn’t discover it until I went to put the bike on the roof rack. I had to think of when it happened. Concluded that it must have been the big bump I hit during a descent near the end of the ride. Didn’t seem that severe when it happened.
Was it a carbon fiber rail?
Old 10-07-21, 04:59 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Ibis is not one of the most highly respected mtb frame companies for no reason.
So the more highly respected mtb frame companies would do better? wait.. I'm confused

Anyway, if you like this bike but want Al, just get a Ripmo AF frame and swap the parts.
Honest question.. aero shaping and even weight seems a pretty low priority on the MTB scene; why is CF a thing at all for those bikes?
Old 10-07-21, 05:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Was it a carbon fiber rail?
unobtanium
Old 10-07-21, 05:35 PM
PeteHski

Honest question.. aero shaping and even weight seems a pretty low priority on the MTB scene; why is CF a thing at all for those bikes?
Weight is actually a high priority with MTBs and the other high priority is frame stiffness. Aero is not a concern.
My last high end Aluminium trail bike was pretty solid, but very heavy by today's CF standards. About 8 lbs heavier and very noticeable on steep climbs or accelerating.
Old 10-09-21, 08:00 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Those scrapes/indentations to the right of the cracked/flaking section sure don't look like they were from a light love tap - it got crunched hard. Between that and the black marks on the right edge of the pic, this bike looks like it's seen some rough times.
The black marks were from months ago - not sure what caused them but they don't want to come off easily. Won't come off with just soap and water.

Say what you will, I haven't beat on the bike. Rode my previous mtb much harder for much longer (a Breezer Repack 2014).

Either way, the repair is done. Rode the bike at killington yesterday and was happy to have it back.

Edit to add - huge shout out for Ranch Camp (bike shop and restaurant) in Stowe Vt. They got the part around noon on the day I was planning to leave town, and they had it replaced by 4 pm at a more than reasonable labor cost. And that was on a busy week goign into a busier weekend.

Last edited by billyymc; 10-09-21 at 08:03 AM.
Likes For billyymc:
Old 10-09-21, 10:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
Rode my previous mtb much harder for much longer (a Breezer Repack 2014).
That doesn't really mean much; this isn't something that happens on a schedule like tire wear - you took a hit, plain and simple. Unless your Breezer was stupid heavy, it probably would have needed some attention, too.
Old 10-09-21, 02:30 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Honest question.. aero shaping and even weight seems a pretty low priority on the MTB scene; why is CF a thing at all for those bikes?[/QUOTE]

Recently my wife's heavily modified Superlight was stolen and we were looking at the few bikes available in her size in socal. The parts on the Al bikes were much higher weight and lower quality than for carbon (lower price too; even though she's a WW, we would purchase Al if it was equipped with good parts; only bike we know of that's satisfies this criteria is Ibis, but no stock).
Old 10-09-21, 03:06 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Old 10-09-21, 03:13 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
So the more highly respected mtb frame companies would do better? wait.. I'm confused

Because the top of the line has to be carbon.
Old 10-09-21, 04:26 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts

Weight does not matter in MTB?

That is nonsense.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-09-21, 05:15 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Weight does not matter in MTB?

That is nonsense.
Yeah, you're right. I worded badly. Overall bike weight matters, but on approx avg 30+lb bike weights, and the difference between a CF and alloy tubed frame is 1lb, the 7lbs difference between lower and upper end complete models is much more due to other parts.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-09-21, 06:31 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yeah, you're right. I worded badly. Overall bike weight matters, but on approx avg 30+lb bike weights, and the difference between a CF and alloy tubed frame is 1lb, the 7lbs difference between lower and upper end complete models is much more due to other parts.
On a FS frame, the weight difference is more like 1.5 - 2 lbs. If you want to compare apples to apple, look at the Al vs CF versions of the Ripmo frames.
Old 10-09-21, 06:48 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Ok, sounds like I just have to expect that breaking a carbon frame will happen .
Not really. Honesty, almost everyone is riding a carbon bike and they don't all break - not any more than aluminum. Did you do the coin test? Also, talk with Ibis, they are the best company to deal with.
Old 10-09-21, 06:52 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Rode my previous mtb much harder for much longer (a Breezer Repack 2014).
You rode a Repack on a lift served downhill course?
Old 10-10-21, 04:27 AM
billyymc

Originally Posted by vespasianus
You rode a Repack on a lift served downhill course?
On several occasions.
Old 10-10-21, 04:29 AM
billyymc

Originally Posted by vespasianus
Not really. Honesty, almost everyone is riding a carbon bike and they don't all break - not any more than aluminum. Did you do the coin test? Also, talk with Ibis, they are the best company to deal with.
I tapped on the frame but really couldn't tell anything.

I did speak directly with the warranty manager at Ibis who, upon seeing the picture I sent him, advised me to not ride the bike and offered the $480 price for the replacement swingarm.
Old 10-10-21, 07:50 AM
vespasianus

I tapped on the frame but really couldn't tell anything.

I did speak directly with the warranty manager at Ibis who, upon seeing the picture I sent him, advised me to not ride the bike and offered the $480 price for the replacement swingarm.
The coin test is pretty good and will let you know if it is really carbon damage or just paint.

As for carbon bikes, put paint protection film (the stuff for cars) on all the chain stays and down tube. Stuff works like a charm to prevent chips and also helps with impacts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.