Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

"Put Your Hazard Light On!"

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-12, 10:54 AM
keystothekid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got a good laugh yesterday from this story so I thought I'd give it a share. I was riding home from the gym (stealth brag ) yesterday and had made it 3/4 of the way home. I take a small cross street across town, two lanes wide, never more than a car or two. Well, it's just after noon and I've taken the lane because I'm coming up to a stop light. All of a sudden a car revs up and pulls up next to me. There are two very overweight ladies in the front and the passenger yells at me, "Put your hazard light on!" It took me a minute to process what she was saying. If she really couldn't see me on a bright orange bike in a neon yellow t-shirt, in the middle of the lane, at probably the brightest time of day, what good would my rear light do?

Anyway, they zoom past me for about 10 feet and then slam on the brakes because we're at a red light. I notice, they're brake lights don't work. So...I kindly ride up next to them and inform them and they don't take it well. They zoom off angrily once the light changes...and then I proceed to catch them again at every light until I end up on my street. Ahhhh, what a glorious feeling.
Old 07-02-12, 11:36 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh to have a phone mounted on the bars. Pull up beside them, inform the nice ladies their lights still aren't working, and start dialing the phone and saying, "Here, let me call that in for you...."
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.