Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Power Arc

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Specialized Power Arc

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-19, 02:41 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
I bought and have been using the Power Arc Expert for around a year and absolutely love it, I use the 142mm version and I wouldn't trade it for any other saddle.
Old 07-24-19, 02:53 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bahula03
Sorry to bump an old thread, but figured it'd be the best place to ask. I broke my pre-Evo Romin doing some crashing, so figured it was a good excuse to try a new saddle. Picked up a Power Arc, put it on the bike, went to set setback...and found that I had run out of rail Looking at the shape of the Power Arc compared to the Romin, it doesn't seem like it should be positioned any further forward. Has anyone else run into this, and how did you address it? Am I taking crazy pills or missing something obvious here?
Unfortunately it is exactly what it looks like - different saddles have different rail position relative to the seating position, even when they come from the same manufacturer. This is especially noticeable with the new stub-nose saddles, they frequently position the rider further forward compared to a more traditional saddle.

You can either try and see if slightly less setback will work for you (perhaps you weren't actually sitting that far back on the Romin), try to find a seat post with more setback, or you will need to look for a different saddle unfortunately.
Likes For Fiery:
Old 08-03-19, 03:54 PM
RidingRev

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I picked up my Power Expert 155, I asked the salesman at the bike shop about the difference between the Power and the Arc. He said, “Everyone who likes the Power hates the Arc.”

I’ve been riding the Power for several months now, and it’s the best saddle I’ve ever ridden. But last week I got a great deal on a used Power Arc Elaston — the one with the “thousand pillows.” I thought I’d see if the Arc and the Elaston were better than my power Expert.

Neither was. The Arc is effectively narrower than the same size Power, because of . . . well, how the wings arc downward. All the lovely support my 140mm wide sit bones had on the Power was missing.

And, frankly, I don’t feel any difference, either with my fingers or my butt, between the Elaston and the regular saddle. When you press the non-Elaston part of the saddle and the nubbled Elaston section, there’s no difference in the feel. If there’s some marginal difference, it’s certainly not $ 100 difference, which is the premium you pay for this supposed miracle technology.

The Power Expert went back on the seatpost, and my tail is delighted. It’s taken years and a lot of saddles to get here. I’ve been through Fizik, SMP, Brooks, Bontrager, Fabric, Selle Italia, and Specialized Toupes and Romins. The Power is just brilliant for me.

If you’d like a Power Arc Pro Elaston 155 in like new condition for a good price, hit me up.

Last edited by RidingRev; 08-05-19 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 08-26-19, 04:33 PM
brianxor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for That Exact Saddle

Originally Posted by RidingRev
When I picked up my Power Expert 155, I asked the salesman at the bike shop about the difference between the Power and the Arc. He said, “Everyone who likes the Power hates the Arc.”

I’ve been riding the Power for several months now, and it’s the best saddle I’ve ever ridden. But last week I got a great deal on a used Power Arc Elaston — the one with the “thousand pillows.” I thought I’d see if the Arc and the Elaston were better than my power Expert.

Neither was. The Arc is effectively narrower than the same size Power, because of . . . well, how the wings arc downward. All the lovely support my 140mm wide sit bones had on the Power was missing.

And, frankly, I don’t feel any difference, either with my fingers or my butt, between the Elaston and the regular saddle. When you press the non-Elaston part of the saddle and the nubbled Elaston section, there’s no difference in the feel. If there’s some marginal difference, it’s certainly not $ 100 difference, which is the premium you pay for this supposed miracle technology.

The Power Expert went back on the seatpost, and my tail is delighted. It’s taken years and a lot of saddles to get here. I’ve been through Fizik, SMP, Brooks, Bontrager, Fabric, Selle Italia, and Specialized Toupes and Romins. The Power is just brilliant for me.

If you’d like a Power Arc Pro Elaston 155 in like new condition for a good price, hit me up.
I'd definitely like to buy it from you. If you're still looking to get rid of it.
Old 08-27-19, 02:59 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingRev

I think it all comes down to your muscular distribution. If you have large adductor muscles, then the Arc will likely suit you better. Luckily for me, I guessed at the standard Power saddle and all is good with the world. I read lots of stories about how great the Power saddle is. I'm blessed, in a sense, that it's my only experience. I think there could be better saddles out there for different types of riding, such as all day comfort. The Power seems to be designed for short rides, maintaining an anterior pelvic tilt for putting the "power" down.
Old 08-27-19, 08:54 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I've ridden the Power Expert for a couple of years and I loved it like a fat kid loves chocolate cake. I've done centuries and felt great. However, this year I did a century ride on my Expert and I got saddle soreness that left me off my bike for three days.

I thought that maybe a Power Arc would solve my soreness problem. It feels very different than the Power Expert. I didn't feel pain with the Arc; however, it didn't feel as comfortable as an Expert Power saddle. I sold some of my older saddles and I bought a Power Pro. I'm now selling my Power Arc Pro. I'm still trying to get used to the level 1 padding on the Power Pro. I'm not sure how long I should give my sit bones to get used to my Power Pro.