Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Specialized Vado 1.0--HELP?!

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Specialized Vado 1.0--HELP?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-19, 11:36 PM
DonaldTodd1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Specialized Vado 1.0--HELP?!

I have a Specialized Vado 1.0 (2019) and the bike is awesome===really high end components, the most solid bike I've ever ridden but it has no Power!!!! The on board computer is completely black and the motor does not "turn on" or engage at all===NO power assist!! The battery accepts (and maintains) a Full charge as evidenced by the 5 green lights on the downtube...I can't figure it out....I am the 2nd owner (though the bike is registered to Me w/Specialized) so No warranty help...Any ideas???? Thank you all so much!
Old 11-14-19, 12:20 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
"Natural" first thing is to check all the connections. Did it work perfectly when you purchased it?
Old 11-14-19, 12:33 AM
DonaldTodd1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
"Natural" first thing is to check all the connections. Did it work perfectly when you purchased it?
It did not-I bought it relatively cheap from a college student leaving school-the "computer" mount was broken-so maybe the problem is in the actual computer, which is really just a display as far as I know, but all wires into and out of it are intact as is the wire into the + - unit on the left handle bar...the bike is in great condition...it's a 2019! LOL...and the charger works just as it should. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and all the obvious things appear as they should...and even w/o the electric assist it does fly!
Old 11-15-19, 09:34 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DonaldTodd1
It did not-I bought it relatively cheap from a college student leaving school-the "computer" mount was broken-so maybe the problem is in the actual computer, which is really just a display as far as I know, but all wires into and out of it are intact as is the wire into the + - unit on the left handle bar...the bike is in great condition...it's a 2019! LOL...and the charger works just as it should. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and all the obvious things appear as they should...and even w/o the electric assist it does fly!

I'm trained in Bosch e-bikes, not Brose (which is what Specialized uses in their Turbo line), but the basic principles of the systems are the same. That unit on the handlebars is not just a status display; it's your only link to the system controls and the only thing that tells the motor what to do with the battery power. If the mount is damaged, the unit may not be able to communicate with the rest of the system. You should be able to order a replacement mount from Brose or through a Specialized dealer if that's the case.

Also, check to see if the main display unit has a separate battery of its own. Some of them draw on the main system battery alone, and others run on a small coin battery or use one as backup (for display units that are removable from the mount, like the Bosch Intuvia). If the unit's battery is dead, it won't be able to communicate with the system. A $3 battery could solve the problem!

https://www.brose-ebike.com/de-en/products/

It won't be a warranty thing as such, but updating system software and firmware IS part of the ongoing maintenance for e-bikes of any brand. Ask your local Specialized shop if they can do a system check for you. It's a 20 minute process for Bosch systems in my shop; we plug the bike's computer into the shop computer and run the Bosch diagnostic software. (The higher end Specialized ones may actually be able to do it via a Bluetooth connection, but I think the Vado uses a more basic system and a USB connector).

If any parts are damaged or not responding, there is a specific series of troubleshooting steps to determine exactly which part(s) will need replacement. If the battery is okay, that's the most expensive part and the most difficult to replace, so you are already ahead of the game. I replaced a Bosch display unit mounting bracket (that is also part of the wiring harness) on a system that was quite similar to the Vado, and it was only $50ish CAD for the parts.

It sort of seems like a pity not to get the full benefit of an e-bike so I think you should have a tech look at it and fix the issue!
Old 11-15-19, 11:46 PM
DonaldTodd1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply....I really appreciate the information! I did replace the mount on the computer display unit (to the handlebar) but it was basically just a plastic bracket. I Will look at the unit to see if it could hold a separate battery within...and you're right-there's all that power and technology....I need to get it going!
Old 11-17-19, 09:46 PM
DonaldTodd1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the central computer does have a USB port and I used my phone charger cord on it...unit turned bluish on start up and then showed a battery icon which appeared to be charging, but it won't get past the 1st level and still won't illuminate when I turn bike on (via button on downtube)...should I take the computer apart and replace it's battery or just give up and take it to the Specialized dealer....? any idea (s)?
Old 12-10-19, 07:38 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Sorry about late reply, but you really should take it to a Specialized dealer so they can assess the software/firmware as well as all the physical connections and find out exactly what the issue is. There may be a small charge - my shop charges $35 for a firmware update if we didn't sell the bike - but worth it if you get usable pedal assist out of it.
Old 12-10-19, 11:50 PM
DonaldTodd1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the excellent advice...I actually took the bike to Action Sports (a local Specialized dealer) on Saturday and am awaiting their diagnosis...when I hear the verdict, I'll post an update!