Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

why pay BIG $ for a jersey?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-28-19, 01:08 PM
atjurhs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

hi guys,

i gotta wonder why pay BIG $ for a jersey? there are plenty of nice looking jerseys on eBay for $20, and then there are those that cost $140
Old 05-28-19, 01:15 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Why pay big money for a bike? You can get one for $100 at Walmart.
Old 05-28-19, 01:15 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Would you really accept a reason? Compare them side by side and you decide if you are willing to pay or not. A choice makes you neither superior nor inferior.
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 05-28-19, 01:26 PM
atjurhs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seau grateau
your remark does not help answer the question
Likes For atjurhs:
Old 05-28-19, 01:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Fit, fabric, construction? Even zippers that don't wear out? If none of these are important to you, then you should be happy with a cheap jersey from Amazon.
Old 05-28-19, 01:37 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by atjurhs
Indeed, I think most have an idea of what is initially (assembly) and permanently (quality) wrong with Walmart bikes.

I ride in cheapo high viz breathable long sleeve compression shirts bought a size too big so they fit a hair more loosely. No bottle pockets but I store that elsewhere anyway. One probably could be retired from suntan stains and a sewn up tear but it's still functional, and they're no big loss to replace.

Do whatever works for you. It is a valid question though, what you are paying for with a name brand cycling specific jersey.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 05-28-19, 01:38 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
hi guys,

i gotta wonder why pay BIG $ for a jersey? there are plenty of nice looking jerseys on eBay for $20, and then there are those that cost $140

Why ask why? If you can find what you want, then your needs have been met, no?

Personally, I don't know why people eat lima beans. I don't like the taste of them, and it would be silly of me to eat food I don't like. But other people seem to like them. C'est la vie...

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 05-28-19, 01:45 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
It does if you think about it.
Old 05-28-19, 01:59 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
If you are not too concerned with fabric, construction, fit and style, you will have more choices at a lower price. If these things matter, you'll likely have to pay more, depending on how particular you are. If you are fat like me, #3 and #4 are kind of irrelevant
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-28-19, 01:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Yes it does.

Hint: It starts with the letter "Q."

P.S. ****
Old 05-28-19, 02:02 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
There is a huge difference in quality, materials and fit. Get yourself a Rapha Core jersey, I think they are going for $80 and you will see/feel the difference. The same can be said for other quality manufacturers. You will never go back to wearing jersey's that fit like t-shirts with pockets in the back.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 05-28-19, 02:02 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I’d love to buy $100.00 jerseys but can’t afford them. I was happy with Performance’s mid quality stuff but I wont buy them online. My recent purchases have been the cheap stuff off of eBay. Buy them 2 sizes larger than normal and they fit great. Quality full length zippers and nice graphics. No issues.
Old 05-28-19, 02:04 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
hi guys,

I can only answer from my own experience. When I started riding, I did buy a few low cost jerseys and they were fine. Then I caught a sale from Pactimo and was able to get an expensive jersey at a big discount. The fit and quality of material and construction I find to be far superior to the low cost jerseys I had. I also liked their designs, which were understated but not plain. I've also found that it lasts longer than cheaper stuff.

I still have a hard time shelling out big $$$ for kit but if you keep an eye on sales, you can get much better gear for what I consider to be a reasonable price.
Old 05-28-19, 02:08 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I mean, you do want to be cool and show all your cycling friends what fashion taste and disposable money you have for the sport, don't you?
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 05-28-19, 02:09 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Why did you ask this question is the real question? To justify your cheap purchase? It's like asking someone why they bought a Porsche when a Toyota will still provide transportation.
Old 05-28-19, 02:35 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Hi!

What's this thread about?
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-28-19, 02:49 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Hi!

What's this thread about?
Droping the hamer on expensive jerseys.
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 05-28-19, 02:49 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 244 Posts
If you've never tried a "BIG $" jersey, and you're happy with the ones you've got, then the answer to your question is: there is no reason.

I have inexpensive jerseys (Performance brand, Canari, others from organized rides) and "BIG $" jerseys (SMS, Castelli, and the like). The "BIG $" jerseys are much more comfortable, are longer in the torso, have pockets that are easier to access, and are prettier (to my eyes). They also tend to last longer (the Canari jerseys, in particular, fell apart rather quickly). I rarely wear the inexpensive jerseys, but I have to admit they do the job, just not quite as well.

As to whether the extra expense is worth it, that is a personal evaluation.

BTW, you can often find "BIG $" jerseys on sale. I have never spent more than $85 on a jersey, personally, and that was to use up a LBS gift certificate I received. (Note: when buying at a discount, you might be stuck with National Champion jerseys, or trade team jerseys, or TDF jerseys, and that bothers some people.)
Old 05-28-19, 03:05 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
In all seriousness, sometimes you may just be paying for the "brand" but usually you are getting better quality materials, fit, etc., whether it's "worth" it is a personal decision.

P.S. ****
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-28-19, 03:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Sure it does. Nice bikes are better than Walmart bikes. Nice jerseys are better than cheap ones.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-28-19, 03:20 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
To each his own. Why does it matter to you? Stay comfortable and ride.
Old 05-28-19, 03:23 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
If you've never tried a "BIG $" jersey, and you're happy with the ones you've got, then the answer to your question is: there is no reason.

I have inexpensive jerseys (Performance brand, Canari, others from organized rides) and "BIG $" jerseys (SMS, Castelli, and the like). The "BIG $" jerseys are much more comfortable, are longer in the torso, have pockets that are easier to access, and are prettier (to my eyes). They also tend to last longer (the Canari jerseys, in particular, fell apart rather quickly). I rarely wear the inexpensive jerseys, but I have to admit they do the job, just not quite as well.

As to whether the extra expense is worth it, that is a personal evaluation.

BTW, you can often find "BIG $" jerseys on sale. I have never spent more than $85 on a jersey, personally, and that was to use up a LBS gift certificate I received. (Note: when buying at a discount, you might be stuck with National Champion jerseys, or trade team jerseys, or TDF jerseys, and that bothers some people.)
The neck on my Castelli jerseys is so much more comfortable than on my cheap ones. The cheap ones, either I leave the last bit unzipped and give up 10w, or I constrict my breathing and give up 30.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-28-19, 03:25 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
I have several $15 jerseys from Aliexpress, and a few $100+ ones from Ornot. The Ornot jerseys fit better, and use a nicer (feeling) fabric. Apart from that, I see no reason for the almost 10x price difference. Some of the newer Ali jerseys use the same advanced fabrics you see in high end brand jerseys, and I've found a few that even fit almost as nice as my brand name stuff. The quick and dismissive "hurr durr Chinese quality suxxxxxxxxxxx" comments are from people who obviously don't wear them. I'm not saying there aren't cheap, crappy, ill-fitting jerseys to be found, nor am I even suggesting the majority are not of poor quality, fit, and construction, but I've bought enough of these to have found some that really are on par with $100+ jerseys.

The bottom line is there really is no reason to pay for an expensive jersey, unless you really want to pay for the name, and (potentially) a slightly better fit. The fabric and construction on some of the cheap cheap jerseys is quite good. Bibs on the other hand, that is a completely different story (from what I've found)...
Likes For cthenn:
Old 05-28-19, 03:35 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Likes For cthenn:
Old 05-28-19, 03:38 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
I'm really okay with nearly anything, but I definitely believe that quality jerseys and shorts and worth the extra price we pay, primarily because they last so much longer. When I bought the cheap stuff, I'd be lucky to get a season's worth of riding from it. I'm easily getting three or more seasons out of the stuff I've been buying for the last couple of decades or so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.