Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring Adventure

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-05, 03:26 PM
Dio Rallen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In four days (hopefully) I am going to be starting a very low budget solo tour for as far as I can go.

It'll be from San Francisco California to Seattle Washington, and, if that works out, over to Detroit Michigan and Toronto. And if that works out, I'll be heading back to San Fran.

I'm starting out on less than $500. The good news is, I'm going to try something fairly new. I'm going to have a online journal with photography that will be updated fairly often. Now, this concept isn't very original, but I hope to transform the website (https://www.thisendlessroad.com) into a means of income and resources on the road. This idea bleeds from web comic artists who have large fan bases that donate enough money for the web comic artist to live off of. Another idea is a blatant rip off of Heinz Stucke, and the brochures that he sells on the road.

This is really exciting (I haven't been able to sleep lately) and there are still doubts in my mind. I need advice, ideas, etc. I've already had a lot of perspectives on the tour, but none from fellow tourists. So visit https://www.thisendlessroad.com and comment with your ideas. It's not much on the website right now, but that is because I've been so busy getting ready for the actual tour.

-James "Dio Rallen" Schiffer
diorallen@gmail.com
Old 04-03-05, 04:45 PM
Gordon P

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Wow sounds like a grand adventure! Good luck and sunny skies.
My tip to you is make sure you have a good pump.

Old 04-03-05, 11:11 PM
eastbaybob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck on your trip. On one hand I sort of wish that I'd have the nerve to do something like this when I was your age, on the other, I'm glad I stuck in school for my degree.

Try to stay as clean as you can then you'll have more interesting interactions with people. Maybe even stop in places and do some sort of work for a few days.

I'm not sure bout the money making potential from a web site, but its cool that you have one, own domain and all.
Old 04-04-05, 06:57 PM
Dio Rallen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement. You just reminded me to put up a list of the equipment that I am going to be using on the tour (I just put the finishing touches on my PepsiG Stove). I will admit, I had to search long and hard till I found a good portable foot stand pump and, consequentially, a really great bicycle store. If you live in the bay area, check out Pioneer Bicycle Shop on Piedmont. The guy running it is really nice and has encouraged me in many ways to do this. In my opinion, the best bicycle shop in the bay area by far.

And you made a good point, I do come out as a drop out if you read the site. Well, at least I don't look at myself that way. I have enough credits to finish it up in community college (but to get into community college I need a GED). If you live in California at all, you know the state of our school systems, and since I used to go to Oakland Technical High School, a tough urban school, it just stacked higher and higher. It was really unbearable going there.

But those are just justifications.

The website won't be as much of a money making tool as tool to meet new people who are willing to help me out (just from the post earlier I have already gotten some really kind offers). It's heart warming to see that there are people willing to help.

Now to update pictures =D

Is there anything else people would like to see in an online journal while touring?

James
Diorallen@gmail.com
Old 04-04-05, 07:15 PM
pepsbandit
I'm Sober Now

Bikes: Trek 7300, Trek Fuel 70 ... and hopefully I can get more when I actually get a job!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, good luck on your trip.
I don't believe the SOBs at Block Buster don't carry Dr. Strangelove anymore... savages.