Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

US Bike Route 35, West side of Michigan experience

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-15, 08:27 AM
TomPalmer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all,
I am planning my trips for the summer, late as usual. I live in Michigan and can only do a few days. Has anyone done any of the USBR 35 along Lake Michigan up into the UP.
My main wonder is how well it is marked, the map they have online doesn't show the road names well as the red line indicating the route covers up most of the name. I would be camping in the wild.
Any experience is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom Palmer
Twin Lake, MI
Old 06-08-15, 10:44 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TomPalmer
Hi all,
I am planning my trips for the summer, late as usual. I live in Michigan and can only do a few days. Has anyone done any of the USBR 35 along Lake Michigan up into the UP.
My main wonder is how well it is marked, the map they have online doesn't show the road names well as the red line indicating the route covers up most of the name. I would be camping in the wild.
Any experience is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom Palmer
Twin Lake, MI

I am going up the west side of Michigan at the end of June ending a little north of Indian River in Cheboygan county. I am going to generally follow the Adventure Cycling route- Monroeville, Indiana to Mackinaw City. The ACA route is east of USBR 35. I originally planned on following 35 but I thought with tourists that time of year etc. it might be too trafficky/ populated. etc.
Old 06-08-15, 04:24 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
My wife and I did a 900 mile loop coming up the east side of the state from south of Detroit to Mackinaw City and down the Lake Michigan side. We had planned on riding around Lake Huron, but we were already experiencing freezing temperatures and it was spitting snow in Canada. We just headed west from Mackinaw City instead of into the UP.

An ACA map was given to us in Mackinaw City by an ACA group tour who were heading North, and did not need that section any longer. We used Highway 31 off and on, and used the ACA map a little. We did not realize there was a National Cycle Route. It is very easy to pick your way down the west side of the state with a state highway map (or a smart phone). We found that Michigan State Highways were very bike friendly, with wide road shoulders and courteous drivers. You have a great state for cycling!!

Check out some of the rails-to-trails paths. I know there were some in the Traverse City area. I can get you more details on the route we took. Michigan has over 1400 miles of them in the state.

Last edited by Doug64; 06-09-15 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-08-15, 05:24 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I have done the southern and most of the northern part. It's a great ride. The part I haven't ridden is between Saugatuck and Traverse. It's a well marked route with actual signs designating the way, and the highway portions I have ridden are lightly traveled (relatively speaking) and have nice shoulders. Great access to the coast and all the multiple facilities of interest along the way.

Marc
Old 06-08-15, 06:38 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i agree that bushwacking your way on a bike tour through Michigan is not too difficult and that the roads, in general (as in paved) are smooth and safe to ride on. i found my that my ad hoc route using state road maps from Detroit to Ludington (to access the ferry to Manitowoc Wi) was a snap. much of it was along the western Lake Michigan shoreline. don't remember seeing the lake though until i missed the noon ferry by five minutes.
Old 06-16-15, 10:49 PM
Geeheeb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn't hug the lake as much as I want it to but there are lots of parks scattered and its safe. Rode up to Muskegon two weeks ago. Still quite cold in the morning compared to Lansing where I live.