Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Commuter Slander

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Commuter Slander

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 08:28 PM
tbannin
Cars are for the meek.

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Stump Jumper FSR, 2007 Trek 2100, 1993 UNK Frame built into a single speed mt. bike (think it's a mongoose, before they were crap), and a 1985 Dave Scott Ironman Pro (my baby fg)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuter Slander

So there I was riding home from my friends house after watching SxSW on TV for a bit, minding my own business with my headlight and blinking red tail light in full view for all to see. Then it happened, I stopped at a red light doing my track stand (or attempting to) as always when i heard the jeering. I usually don't respond to such ignorance as "the road is for cars" blah blah blah.... I ignored this comment as usual and rode off when the light turned green. As I was riding I heard the jeering car full of ignorant young ******* approaching. I stayed my course and ignored them still, until they pulled right up to me and spit on me and my bicycle. What the *$#! ran through my head and I was livid with rage. As I reached for my razor to kindly scrape and ruin their paint job I put it away and started to think about how stupid they had to look to pick on someone on a bike. Oh well, I took down the plate number and reported it to the police, they won't do anything, but it made me feel better at the time. Ahhhh life in the ignorance that is Wichita Falls, TX.
Old 03-18-08, 08:55 PM
DCCommuter
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tbannin
Ahhhh life in the ignorance that is Wichita Falls, TX.
At least you get SxSW on TV there.
The United States of America is the only democratic nation in the world to deny citizens living in the nation's capital representation in the national legislature. District residents have no vote in either the U.S. Senate or U.S. House of Representatives. www.dcvote.org
Old 03-18-08, 09:58 PM
tbannin
Cars are for the meek.

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Stump Jumper FSR, 2007 Trek 2100, 1993 UNK Frame built into a single speed mt. bike (think it's a mongoose, before they were crap), and a 1985 Dave Scott Ironman Pro (my baby fg)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True that....and man did Liam Finn play one hell of a set at the Bat Bar!!!!
Old 03-19-08, 05:40 AM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SOmetimes I think your first option is best, the razor blade. The police are impotent. If cars KNOW that pain, dents, scratchs, and broekn glass await bothering bikes maybe they'd stay away. SOmetimes I think that, not my poilicy though.
Old 03-19-08, 06:39 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1394 Post(s)
Liked 1,335 Times in 841 Posts
Congratulations on restraining yourself instead of committing a very tempting, but ultimately highly counterproductive, act of vandalism. We need to take the moral high ground in our dealings with motorists.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-19-08, 06:57 AM
bike2math

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commuted for six months in WF-TX. I found everyone to be extremely courteous. Some of the friendliest strangers I ever met were there. Even on my bike drivers of all sorts went out of there way to be nice around me.

Certainly there were some rotten apples (teenagers?) but somehow I never saw them, strange. Maybe because I was looking at it through the lens of visiting the metromess every now and then...
Old 03-19-08, 10:48 AM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Call back to the police and find out what they did about it.
Old 03-19-08, 10:56 AM
littlewaywelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for something like that I would absolutely get the plate number and tell the police you would like them to visit the parent of the driver or you're going to press charges. The police knock on the door should hopefully result in the parents "straightening" their kids out.
Old 03-19-08, 11:02 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I pass by a high school on my commute home. If I leave work early and pass by just at the time school lets out 2-3pm there is lots of posturing going on between kids in cars. Tire squeal, they holler at each other from windows, mini-street race from green lights, etc. If you are riding thru you will get some of the 'play' (including from the many kids also on the sidewalk) - sometimes you can tell the teens know they are being full of themselves as they both yell stupid things, but also find it amusing, like they know they are being stupid and are just acting the part. Some times acting silly (as opposed to the natural reaction of anger or defense) in response brings you to their level and the tension dissipates and turns to laughter.
Never had anyone spit on me or otherwise assault me though.

Al
Old 03-19-08, 12:26 PM
tbannin
Cars are for the meek.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[quote=bike2math;6369806]I commuted for six months in WF-TX. I found everyone to be extremely courteous. [QUOTE]

What time did you commute. I don't own a car so I ride everywhere and at all times of the day. I get harassed all the time, unfortunately. I am beginning to realize that I will never drive a car again, seeing how people act and realizing that could have been me at one point in time. Oh well, maybe things will shape up as I start to promote commuting more and more.
Old 03-19-08, 12:56 PM
bike2math

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What time did you commute. I don't own a car so I ride everywhere and at all times of the day. I get harassed all the time, unfortunately. I am beginning to realize that I will never drive a car again, seeing how people act and realizing that could have been me at one point in time. Oh well, maybe things will shape up as I start to promote commuting more and more.
Early morning (6-7am), from east of Kickapoo airport to Midwestern's campus on streets. For the return in the late afternoon (5-7pm), I would ride from campus to the golf course then take the MUP south all the way to the dam and then ride the highway and back roads back around to the east side of the airport. There were a couple of guys out on recumbents I'd see on the MUP each day but other than that I only ever saw recreational riders.

No problems ever. Quite the opposite from my experiences in Arizona, Ohio, and parts of Dallas-Ft. Worth. I never went north of 82 (except to the LBS in the downtown area on weekends) so maybe that made a difference, and much of my ride was out in the ranch land south of town... ymmv I guess.

My wife used our car for commuting to work. So that left me using the bike, or the bus. I did our families grocery shopping by bike. There was a great farmer's market at the North end of the subdivision east of Kickapoo airport. I highly recomend it (we could walk there from our house, main reason we rented it in fact). The bus drivers were also incredibly friendly; they called the police to my house to check on me after I bought my bike because they got worried when they didn't see me for a week. As I've said, friendliest place I've lived.

Have you ridden in the Hottern' Hell yet? I left town before it was put on, but intend to come back for it one of these days. I got the impression that Midwestern's cycling team was pretty good, at least the ones I met seemed pretty serious. I love the two MUP's there, I would wake up early on Saturday and Sunday and ride from the end of the lake one and then all the way around town to the North end of the river one, never saw a soul on those rides.

Last edited by bike2math; 03-19-08 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-19-08, 01:42 PM
xerocoma

Bikes: Lemond Tourmalet, Giant mountain bike and a Cannondale Adventure 400 hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be riding the HTH 100 this year... maybe your little friends will show up. Be interesting to see what happens when they try to spit on a couple of thousand cyclists....
Old 03-19-08, 01:59 PM
Speedo

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So there I was riding home from my friends house after watching SxSW on TV for a bit, ...
It is harder, but much smarter to maintain your cool. Good job!

BUT, this post is making me feel like an idiot. What's SxSW? My first thought was that you were watching the Hitchcock movie North by Northwest, but then I noticed it was S's and not N's.

Speedo
Old 03-20-08, 02:00 PM
tbannin
Cars are for the meek.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedo
It is harder, but much smarter to maintain your cool. Good job!

BUT, this post is making me feel like an idiot. What's SxSW? My first thought was that you were watching the Hitchcock movie North by Northwest, but then I noticed it was S's and not N's.

Speedo
South By Southwest....It's this huge free concert in the whole city of Austin.....I think over 2000 bands played at least 2-4 sets a piece and it's a whole week long from what I gather. It's pretty bad ass.
Old 03-20-08, 07:30 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AndrewP
Call back to the police and find out what they did about it.
and/or:

write a certified letter to the police, include the case assigned number, and brief relist of incident (along with a cc to texas state appointed bicycle advocates) asking for progress status.

as others stated, good work holding yourself back from bending down to the driver/passangers level. by doing that, you "rose above"!!

t
Old 03-20-08, 08:17 PM
BikeTales 

Bikes: Custom 94 Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
this one time when I was a teenager, I was driving and my buddy was in the passenger seat. We saw a kid on a bmx bike. My buddy proceeded to toss a glass bottle out the window. It smashed right on the kid's head tube! We laughed and laughed.
That was obviously really stupid. We weren't even anti-bike. I even rode bmx a little in those days. We were just young and looking for trouble
Old 03-21-08, 05:07 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
It's good to show restraint and if it's just words being exchanged then keep it to just words. However, as soon as I'm spat on the rules change. The lowlife spitter deserves to get stabbed in the neck.
Old 03-21-08, 06:06 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just ask yourself- WWCBD? (What Would Charles Bronson Do?)
Old 03-21-08, 06:09 AM
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just let em go. File a police report and forget about it. In that situation the rider is outnumbered, and razorblading their paint wont result in them remaining calm.

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Old 03-21-08, 06:50 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomg
and/or:

write a certified letter to the police, include the case assigned number, and brief relist of incident (along with a cc to texas state appointed bicycle advocates) asking for progress status.

as others stated, good work holding yourself back from bending down to the driver/passangers level. by doing that, you "rose above"!!

t
There is really not much law enforcement can do in a situation of "he said - he said". The teens can simply say they were responding to provocation from a rider. Or that he brandished a weapon.

Taking the moral high ground and restraining oneself is the best option in little tiffs such as this.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 03-21-08, 01:55 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish
SOmetimes I think your first option is best, the razor blade. The police are impotent. If cars KNOW that pain, dents, scratchs, and broekn glass await bothering bikes maybe they'd stay away. SOmetimes I think that, not my poilicy though.
That logic is part of why I haven't been hit yet...not the razor knife...but that my mountain bike will damage their bodywork enough that they really don't want to hit me, regardless of how bad my presence annoys them.

Plus I have motocross fenders and the like on it...which I noticed makes them stay back more since I've installed them...I'm guessing they think they are metal (nope, just lightweight plastic).
Old 03-21-08, 03:10 PM
richardmasoner
Fritz M

Bikes: Trek, Spesh, GT, Centurion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was HIT BY A CAR in Wichita Falls in the late 80s. I was riding completely lawfully when the driver of the station wagon blew through a stop sign on a residential street without slowing down at all. I tried to evade but still got clipped and knocked down. I called the police but the officer blamed the "accident" on me. What a creep.
Old 03-21-08, 03:14 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Battery, not slander

[first year Torts professor mode off]
Old 03-21-08, 04:48 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=dobber;6378648]There is really not much law enforcement can do in a situation of "he said - he said".

if you file a complaint, the police are made aware of the behavior/car/discription. if this behavior is repeated by the same driver /vehicle and/or passenger(s), then it is on file and give more credit to the next reporter.

this action of reporting incident may be a method that works for the bicyclist to constructively plant seeds to help reduce this type of behavior and "do something about it" that does not resemble gut actions. this does take more emotional control and maybe the driver/passangers are looking for the gut reaction as part of their impulse to do the behavior in the first place. (stimilus/response)

rise above! (if you are able to)
Old 03-21-08, 05:43 PM
Doored

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... Oh well, I took down the plate number and reported it to the police, they won't do anything, but it made me feel better at the time. Ahhhh life in the ignorance that is Wichita Falls, TX.
So how about posting the license plate number, vehicle description, and location here so other locals have some chance of watching out?

Next, take that same information and post it at:
Plate Wire
RoadRagers

Then search the plate databases at those sites to see if other incidents have also been posted for that same plate number. Maybe someone even posted where that car gets parked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.