Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Heading off to college with a road bike- advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 03:23 PM
blabus

Bikes: 2010 Felt Z100, 2010 Motobecane Messenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I've got my Felt Z100, and I'm heading off to college beginning of January. I'm planning on taking it with me, since I can't bear to be away from it for that long. Before anyone has a heart attack, no, it's not going to be chained up outside at some bike rack, it'll be stored in my room. However, I did have a question. The college I'm going to is very large (UCF in Florida, 3rd largest in the country), and the campus is so large that a bike is basically required to get around practically. So in other words I won't just be riding the bike for recreation, but for transportation as well. So, with that in mind, I was considering buying a set of cyclocross wheels/tires to swap out with my road slicks, to help with navigating a college campus. Not anything hardcore, but cutting over grass and gravel, hopping the occasional curb, etc.

So, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on what to look for as far as the wheels/tires. I've been searching online and reading about converting road bikes to cyclocross, but a lot of them talk about having to replace your brakes with cyclocross brakes for added clearance and whatnot. Are there any cyclocross wheels/tires that are designed to work with regular road bike brakes/forks?

My main issue is price. I'm a broke college student so I really can't afford to spend $400 on a set of wheels. Is there anything in the $100-$200 range (ideally including tires)?

Thanks for any help!
Old 11-29-10, 03:33 PM
LostitoaBianchi

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you race your bike? Are you scared you will break your current fragile rims?
If I was broke, and I am, I would simply stick to the road/sidewalk and save myself an unneeded expense. How much of a hassle can it be to not ride on gravel. If UCF is such a big school I would imagine that the road network is pretty solid. UIUC is a pretty big school and its hard to not find a bike path.
Old 11-29-10, 03:51 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There aren't many places on UCF campus that aren't accessible by road/bike lane/sidewalk.... save your money for booze, pot, girls or whatever your collegiate vice may be, unless you have plans to do some real off-road riding. Perhaps swap out your tires if they're smaller than 25s, but that's about all I'd do without a specific purpose in mind.
Old 11-29-10, 03:54 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^What they said.

As a side note, you should definitely get involved with the cycling club at UCF. Being on the club at my school has been an awesome experience, and it really helps you meet people that have similar interests.
Old 11-29-10, 04:04 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by blabus
(UCF in Florida, 3rd largest in the country)!
Third largest in Florida by population, 17th largest in US. Not in the top 10 in terms of land area, either. But whatever.

For tooling around campus, I would consider getting a hybrid or mountain bike off Craigslist; that will also limit exposure of your Felt to theft while you're in class.

Also, regarding cycling in Orlando in general, check out CommuteOrlando.com. One of the best cycling resources around, and it's based on the Orlando cycling experience. I've stayed in the UCF area a few times and there are a fair amount of cyclists in the area. Be careful of Orlando traffic, even in bike lanes, it can be brutal.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-29-10, 04:06 PM
blabus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, thanks for the advice. If that's the case maybe I will just stick with my current wheels. Another question though, are there any knobby tires that are designed to go on a normal road bike? I'm a bit concerned with other things, like rainy conditions and whatnot- or are my current slicks serviceable for that as well?
Old 11-29-10, 04:15 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, thanks for the advice. If that's the case maybe I will just stick with my current wheels. Another question though, are there any knobby tires that are designed to go on a normal road bike? I'm a bit concerned with other things, like rainy conditions and whatnot- or are my current slicks serviceable for that as well?
There are cycle cross tires if you plan on going off-road, but you don't want knobbies on pavement. Especially wet pavement; knobs hurt traction there, not help. Really, the best you can do for multi-purpose riding, with the occasional jaunt across the fields or gravel, is a nice set of 25mm or 28mm (if your Felt can accommodate 28s) road tires. I use Conti 4000S tires myself; but there are many options out there, and even more opinions about all those options.

Last edited by MegaTom; 11-29-10 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-29-10, 04:16 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You're over thinking this. You can get around a college campus on any bike really. That said I would suggest getting a beater road bike.
Old 11-29-10, 04:18 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4394 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie

For tooling around campus, I would consider getting a hybrid or mountain bike off Craigslist; that will also limit exposure of your Felt to theft while you're in class..
What he said. Riding a good road bike to and from class and such is just asking for trouble. For the $100-200 you were prepared to spend on new wheels, get a cheap used MTB.
Old 11-29-10, 04:23 PM
Kabloink

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A 28mm road tire might fit your needs. Wide enough for increased stability, but will fit within a lot of road bikes frames and on existing rims.
Old 11-29-10, 04:26 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Yeah... 28 mm is about 1 1/8". When I was a kid, 1 1/8" wide tires were considered racing tires.

Old 11-29-10, 04:40 PM
Kabloink

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah... 28 mm is about 1 1/8". When I was a kid, 1 1/8" wide tires were considered racing tires.
Yep, the old normal tires were more like 1 3/8 inches if I remember correctly. Sadly, way too wide for most non touring/cyclecross frames now days.
Old 11-29-10, 04:57 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Get a beater bike that you don't mind leaving locked up outside.
Old 11-29-10, 05:29 PM
walshconor
Number 1 Spot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get a beater. My experience at school has taught me that a decent bike will disappear within a week or two.
Old 11-29-10, 05:46 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaTom
There aren't many places on UCF campus that aren't accessible by road/bike lane/sidewalk.... save your money for booze, pot, girls or whatever your collegiate vice may be, unless you have plans to do some real off-road riding. Perhaps swap out your tires if they're smaller than 25s, but that's about all I'd do without a specific purpose in mind.
This. But I recommend using your Felt for riding and getting a crappy walmart bike for commuting. Seriously, using a nice bike to commute every day in college is going to beat the hell out of it. Where do you think you are going to park it on campus? Get a beater bike and keep the Felt in your dorm. Even lock it up in your room. Those dorms aren't the most secure places.
Old 11-29-10, 05:57 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
If you don't ride your nice bike on dirt or gravel now, OP, or jump curbs now, then why do that when you move?

Having attended and worked at a university for several years, I know your nice bike will soon disappear from your keep, if you're using it as transportation to and from your classes.
Old 11-29-10, 06:12 PM
hyperlitenerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got my Jamis road bike here at school. It is either in my place, or with me in the classroom. never ever ever locked up outside. Ever. Ask your profs if you may keep your bike in the classroom. For me once they see my bike, they understand. If not, I am on foot.
Old 11-29-10, 06:19 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
don't commute on your race bike. buy a $50 bike of cl.
Old 11-29-10, 06:30 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Third largest in Florida by population, 17th largest in US. Not in the top 10 in terms of land area, either. But whatever.

For tooling around campus, I would consider getting a hybrid or mountain bike off Craigslist; that will also limit exposure of your Felt to theft while you're in class.

Also, regarding cycling in Orlando in general, check out CommuteOrlando.com. One of the best cycling resources around, and it's based on the Orlando cycling experience. I've stayed in the UCF area a few times and there are a fair amount of cyclists in the area. Be careful of Orlando traffic, even in bike lanes, it can be brutal.
^^^ This. Protect and covet your road bike, never let it out of sight if outside your room. A functional cheap ride should be easily found on a campus as large as yours.
Old 11-29-10, 06:32 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hyperlitenerd
I've got my Jamis road bike here at school. It is either in my place, or with me in the classroom. never ever ever locked up outside. Ever. Ask your profs if you may keep your bike in the classroom. For me once they see my bike, they understand. If not, I am on foot.
OP, please don't do this.
Old 11-29-10, 06:52 PM
rkelley23

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
OP, please don't do this.
por que no? rolling my bike into class is exactly what i do, I dont trust the folks at my school. I always just make sure I am there early because walking into class late rolling a bike would just be obnoxious. None of my profs have ever had an issue with it, i just prop it up in the back against a side wall out of peoples way and such
Old 11-29-10, 07:00 PM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If you don't weigh much, I wouldn't be worried about breaking your bike by taking it off curbs or anything. I commuted on a road bike all the time taking it off sidewalks, cutting through the grass, etc. However, just because you're getting around a college campus doesn't mean you have to you're going to do a lot of sidewalk road transitions.

I'd be careful about locking up your road bike though. I don't ever leave my bike locked up anywhere or unattended (unless it's in the house). I would lock up the bike inside, especially if you're living in a dorm room.
Old 11-29-10, 07:04 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

I commuted by road bike in college too. On a '76 Sears Free Spirit.

Old 11-29-10, 07:18 PM
blabus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the advice! So one thing I'm not understanding though is the common sentiment that my bike will be stolen when locking it up outside for classes. I mean, if the classes are only an hour and a half at a time, is it really that likely that someone's gonna come along with bolt cutters and chop the lock off in the middle of the day? I don't know, which is why I'm asking. But it seems if that's the case, bike locks are basically a useless rip-off, no?
Old 11-29-10, 07:19 PM
alpha_bravo
Mr. Sparkle

Bikes: 08 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the advice! So one thing I'm not understanding though is the common sentiment that my bike will be stolen when locking it up outside for classes. I mean, if the classes are only an hour and a half at a time, is it really that likely that someone's gonna come along with bolt cutters and chop the lock off in the middle of the day? I don't know, which is why I'm asking. But it seems if that's the case, bike locks are basically a useless rip-off, no?
You never know, and once your bike is gone, the chances of getting it back are between slim and none.

Secondly you're going to be getting plenty of afternoon thundershowers in Florida that pop up out of nowhere. We get them all the time in Texas, I wouldn't want to worry about my bike sitting out in the rain all day.

Lastly, I wouldn't be as worried about someone trying to steal it as some other luddite who is late to class jamming their bike next to mine in the rack, bending a derailleur hanger, breaking a spoke, or knocking my bike over. You just never know what's going to happen.

Plus a second bike will help will be a nice option to to train on when it's raining or the roads are nasty out.

Last edited by alpha_bravo; 11-29-10 at 07:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.