Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheels for Bianchi Via Nirone

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 07:50 AM
queanda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

HI,
I'm looking to swap out the stock wh-r500 shimano's and want to know if generally, anyone had any ideas if , easton or bontragers are better fits,
used bargain options i'm exploring for pairs
ea 90 for 375,
ea 70 for 220
bontrager for 200, they're all 2-3 yr old wheels, i'm a 220 pound guy. THANKS!!
Old 12-06-10, 07:56 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I can't tell you about bontragers or easton wheels, but I bought used Mavic Ksyrium Elites ($300) locally. My freind did the same a few months later. Both of us are extremely happy with these wheels. We could feel the difference when accelerating. I would strongly recommend Ksyrium wheelsets such as ES, Elite, SC (but not the Ksyrium Equippe unless you get them for under $150).
EDIT: We both weigh in at around the 185 to 200 lb zone but I have a freind who weighs in at around 240lbs riding Ksyrium wheels, your 220 is NOT a problem for these wheels.

Last edited by roccobike; 12-06-10 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-06-10, 08:00 AM
queanda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks, I haven't seen too many mavics for sale. I had a 2007 trek 1000, upgraded to 105 with 2005 dura ace wheels and that thing was lightning fast, this bianchi with ultegra and shimano 5500's is significantly slower feeling so i figure better wheels will make a difference
Old 12-06-10, 08:41 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
wheels for a nirone you say??

Old 12-06-10, 09:15 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Aren't those all low spoke count wheels? At your weight, it's best to get some wheels with at least 32 spokes on them. Most "clydes" I know pop spokes too frequently to use less. However, I know a few people heavier than you who have ridden fewer spokes without issue, so take my advice as you wish.
Old 12-06-10, 10:53 AM
valleycyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Aren't those all low spoke count wheels? At your weight, it's best to get some wheels with at least 32 spokes on them. Most "clydes" I know pop spokes too frequently to use less. However, I know a few people heavier than you who have ridden fewer spokes without issue, so take my advice as you wish.
I agree. At your weight a 32 spoke wheelset should be considered. You may also like to try a wider rim like Velocity A23.
Old 12-06-10, 11:19 AM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is your budget? You can get an good set of custom built wheels from BWW for well under $500. Almost a year ago I had them build a set with Mavic CXP33 rims, Dura-Ace 7900 hubs and DT Comp 2.0/1.8 spokes for about $600-ish. I weigh about 220 now, but was over 240 when I started riding these wheels, and they have been pretty indestructible, yet fast and really smooth rolling to this point. Their prices have come down a bit, and you can save a lot of money from what I have spent by going with an Ultegra or 105 hub for similar quality but higher weight.

--Edit--

Also, I third going with 32 spokes.
Old 12-06-10, 05:17 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
My 2009 CAAD9 6 came stock with the same wheels as your Bianchi. I recently replaced them with wheels made of Ultegra hubs, Mavic Open Pro CD rims and somebody's spokes (32/wheel), bought on sale from Performance for $241 shipped. They weigh about the same as the Shimanos according to published weights for each, and seem to ride more smoothly...but that difference may exist only between my ears. No issues in the about 1,000 miles since I got them. I weigh ~200 lbs. I decided to replace the stock wheels after having to have the front hub rebuilt after 4,000 miles.

Another possibility is Mavic CXP-33 rims with the same hubs for greater strength. One company that makes them to order is Colorado Cyclist https://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/display/25350/ and they're ~$400 and up depending on options.

A couple of months ago, Road Bike Action magazine had an article about a wheelset that weighed about 1500 grams and cost about $400. They were pretty impressed with them, but I don't remember if those wheels had a recommended weight limit.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-06-10, 07:01 PM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
At 220 pounds, I would focus on getting some durable wheels. Generally, (well) handbuilt wheels will be more durable and last longer. They may cost a bit more, but in my opinion it's worth it. Try to get something with a high spoke count (32/32) for increased durability (and stiffness).

I've heard good things about Open Pro Rims with Ultegra hubs and DT Swiss spokes (32). My friend's commuter bike has got a Open Pro front rim with 105 hubs. He weighs over 250 pounds and commutes daily (he lives car free). He only had to true them once in 3000 miles.
Old 12-06-10, 07:48 PM
JVoigt
Niedersachsen-Rundfahrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
My 2009 CAAD9 6 came stock with the same wheels as your Bianchi. I recently replaced them with wheels made of Ultegra hubs, Mavic Open Pro CD rims and somebody's spokes (32/wheel), bought on sale from Performance for $241 shipped. They weigh about the same as the Shimanos according to published weights for each, and seem to ride more smoothly...but that difference may exist only between my ears. No issues in the about 1,000 miles since I got them. I weigh ~200 lbs. I decided to replace the stock wheels after having to have the front hub rebuilt after 4,000 miles.

Another possibility is Mavic CXP-33 rims with the same hubs for greater strength. One company that makes them to order is Colorado Cyclist https://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/display/25350/ and they're ~$400 and up depending on options.

A couple of months ago, Road Bike Action magazine had an article about a wheelset that weighed about 1500 grams and cost about $400. They were pretty impressed with them, but I don't remember if those wheels had a recommended weight limit.
I think these were Vuelta Corsa Superlites.
Old 12-06-10, 10:01 PM
queanda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sweeeeet wheels, thanks for the pic, love the black crank, i'm going to end up paying more than i ought to
Old 12-06-10, 10:05 PM
queanda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sadly, the bike consumed most of the $$, Ideally i'd like to spend $250 and top out around $375. $5 or 600 is out for me now.
Old 12-06-10, 10:16 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

https://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...a/prod_26.html
Old 12-06-10, 10:25 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check the link I posted above. There are several choices for new custom wheels that are well within your budget.

--Edit--

Urbanknight beat me to it:
Old 12-06-10, 10:38 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

^ I hadn't even noticed you linked to the whole 232 or less category. All are good choices, and my link was my favorite in that class.

By the way Queanda, you never mentioned why you want to swap wheels. If spokes are breaking, you should hop on one of the sets we're recommending, maybe even 36 spokes in the rear if you can. If it's just cuz, wait while you save enough for a true upgrade.
Old 12-13-10, 09:50 AM
queanda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by urbanknight
^ I hadn't even noticed you linked to the whole 232 or less category. All are good choices, and my link was my favorite in that class.

By the way Queanda, you never mentioned why you want to swap wheels. If spokes are breaking, you should hop on one of the sets we're recommending, maybe even 36 spokes in the rear if you can. If it's just cuz, wait while you save enough for a true upgrade.

actually, that's pretty good advice, I don't have a need for new wheels just aesthetic, however, now i need to think about getting a triple and a bigger cassette, the hills are amazing challenges THanks again!