Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike! - 2014 Specialized Comp Smartweld

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 07:37 PM
ptle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I just got a new bike recently! For $1350 I got a new 54cm Specialized Comp with it's new Smartweld technology. It's pretty neat because it's suppose to give the welds at the headtube more strength which allows the tubing to be lighter. I read a 56cm frame is supposed to be around 1250g. The bike as shown is 20.09 pounds with pedals, computer, and cages.

I just got done with a 40 mile ride on it. The frame feels stiff. I had a 2009 Cannondale CAAD 9, one of the stiffest aluminum frames and the Allez felt a little faster. The frame is very harsh though. You can definitely feel all the little bumps in the road. I've also ridden it on gravel, and it will beat you up. The new Tiagra 10 speed, is alright. Shifting is smooth, but you've got to have the barrel adjuster adjusted very precisely and if you "short shift" while going into a lower gear, it'll sometimes hesitate. I'm not used to that since my last bike was equipped with Rival. Front shifting on the 50/34 FSA Gossamer crankset is fast and crisp.

One of the reasons I went with the Comp level was because of the e5 Smartweld frame. It'll be great for upgrading and already comes with 10 speeds and a BB30. None of the other Allezs came with SRAM either.

So far I've added a Toupe RBX Gel saddle and a 90mm stem. The bike came with a Riva Gel saddle and Specialized's 4 position 100mm stem. The Axis 2.0 brakes are great. Cheap brakes normally have problems with cheap brake pads. However, the Axis 2.0, weighing at 320 grams for the set work great. The pads stop me quickly with decent modulation. My only complaint is the heavy wheelset. They weigh 1980 grams and the skewers 190 grams! I think wheels may be the first real upgrade I get. Any recommendations for around $500?

Also, yes, those are mountain bike pedals. Shimano M520s with one side taken off.

Last edited by ptle; 01-27-14 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-27-14, 08:26 PM
darb85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one of my favorite bikes in the line, great bang for the buck. and the frame is hugely upgradeable, it is as good as my tarmac was with just a little lesser ride quality. enjoy it! best trick i know on that bike is the tire presssure 90f/100r seemed to be the sweetspot for me, i weigh 185.

enjoy great bike!