Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 04:54 AM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Last night I stretched my ride home out because I just felt like riding. At one point on Mass Ave in Cambridge, a guy who was obviously a stronger rider than me passed me. I decided to try to keep up with him for as long as I could. It felt great to push myself that little bit extra for a little while, and I just want to thank that anonymous guy for motivating me to extend myself yesterday afternoon.
Old 07-16-08, 05:54 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Great ride in. Some guy on a specailized popped a tire and did not have those little tire tool things, so I gave him mine, and still had one of my fastest rides of the year. Beautiful. Anyway right after I got back on the road I had went about a hundred yards to a 6 lane with turn lights. I think he (SUV) seen me but did not realize how fast I was going (not that I call what I was doing fast but anyway) he started to turn left into me, I tried to stop and made a hard right and he actually pulled a little more forward and made it harder to miss him. I tried to be good and just cussed a little bit at him as I was missing the curb, trying to get unclipped and not fall over. But anyway when I finally seen the poor guy face he looked like he felt terrible about it. SO I just kinda waved and went on. Not a big deal but somethin to type about while I cool off before work.
Old 07-16-08, 06:03 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather is pleasant but there was a 20MPH headwind blowing off the lake, and I had no energy. I plodded along at 15MPH. Not many cyclists out. 2 or 3 going the other way, I passed one, and saw one ahead of me on the road who pulled into an office building.
Old 07-16-08, 06:17 AM
cg1985
Goon

Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was very close to grabbing the keys this morning. Was very tired and very sore from last night. But I climbed on the bike anyway. It was a great Idea, because Once I got up that first hill, I felt great. Still a bit sore, but the cycling worked some of it out.

I saw the same person on a bike, on the same road, at approximately the same time as he was yesterday! Thats great! Glad he made it on the bike this morning.

It was a bit warm this morning, but nothing like it will be later, Its supposed to be upwards of 90 for the ride home.

At least I have air conditioning
Old 07-16-08, 06:18 AM
Takabrash
Frakabrash

Bikes: '03 Marlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good ride in today. It's nice here in TN in the early hours before it gets insanely hot. Not as many bikers out as there were yesterday, but I did get to flip off a Hummer driver! Also, a crazed homeless woman ran at me and yelled, "HELLO! I don't know you, but Jesus is coming back, and I'm ready!!!"
Old 07-16-08, 06:42 AM
77midget
me ride bike good

Bikes: Trek 4300; Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not bad-it was a bit tough getting on the bike this morning, since I stretched last night's ride out a bit. Even though I was beat and legs hurt a bit, still made it in normal time.
Old 07-16-08, 07:10 AM
larryfeltonj

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse, Peugeot Iseran, Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice commute in. It was a bit hot but not oppressive. I added miles to the commute (working on getting my stamina back up after a minor injury sidelined me) by riding with a neighbor on her commute, then rode in with a guy I met en route who works at my workplace (but whom I'd never met before). So it was both an unusually long and social ride.
Old 07-16-08, 07:28 AM
Moskau
Evil Pony

Bikes: Trek 6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just woke up now and feel so proud of myself for having biked for my night shift now. The ride home was amazing, yeah I was tired after only 3 hours of sleep but the sun was out even if it was still cool. I took my time, got lost trying without realising on a new way but still ended up where I wanted to be.

Even the long hill wasn't as hard as I wanted, although I avoided the steep one. I was breathing hard when I got home but still in a really relieved way. I just felt great. Still do. This is exactly what I needed. I know if I had taken the car I'd still be frustrated AND lacking exercise.
Old 07-16-08, 08:02 AM
Allycat24

Bikes: All-City Space Horse, Trek 5000 WSD

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a beautiful morning and my first ride (of any kind) in 7 days. I was trying to give my sore knee a rest and it seemed to have worked. I thought I was going really fast but got to work in the same time as usual. Unfortunately due to a few other commitments, my next commute will be in 7 days. Hopefully I can get back on a regular riding schedule soon. Last week, I took some photos of my commute route. I left out the first mile of riding through my neighborhood. Most of the trip is on the MUP. https://www.flickr.com/photos/allycat...57606152144347
Old 07-16-08, 08:06 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My commuting has been mostly uneventful other than the usual moronery of a few taxi, TLC and bus drivers. Especially them crazy ones driving the buses for wheelchair passengers.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 07-16-08, 08:07 AM
savethekudzu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took the car the last few days due to fatigue.

Rode in this morning, experimenting with a messenger bag with a moderately heavy load. I think I'll be back to panniers tomorrow. I liked not dragging a parachute behind me (panniers wind resistance), but it wasn't worth it for the feeling of instability.
Old 07-16-08, 08:36 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochčre

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I took the subway last night and this morning, and made significant business contacts on both trips.

This doesn't generally happen on the bike.

But I'm back on the bike as soon as logistics allow.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 07-16-08, 09:13 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'Twas a refreshing ride in today. Traffic was denser during the first half of the ride, which is unusual. The ride home last night was wierd. I felt quite strong, but I could also feel my blood sugar dropping. I slammed back some Arrowroots and cashews when I got home and felt much better.
Old 07-16-08, 09:50 AM
GTPowers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Commute...didn't turn out so well.

Came unclipped in an emergency stop/skid and slid a good 25 feet. Yes I have brakes, and yes I was going too fast for my own good but no...I wasn't really doing anything I shouldn't be. The unclipp came as a surprise.

Old 07-16-08, 09:53 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Pretty fast ride. Dropped both kids off, haven't done that since May. 7 yr old is currently on same route as 3.5 yr old so no backtracking right now. However, sufficiently disorganized trying to get everone out the door that I managed to lose not one but two cups of coffee somewhere or other around the house.

Took 4 lane main drag downtown w/ trailer, no traffic, was nice. Backtracked from there to take MUP rather than mega-strip-mall road out to work. Ran into friends out walking for am exercise, slowed to chat. Good stuff.
Old 07-16-08, 10:45 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The wind is back. Normally I'd complain but it's wonderful to have the air cleared of smoke.
Old 07-16-08, 01:44 PM
JSnow789
Celebrate Diversity!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ride this morning was a joy, not too hot or humid. I did almost loose it though, I saw a metal strip in the road in front of me and I popped the front tire over it. Usually ok, but with a 15lb back pack, on a strida, I almost went onto my back. I managed to stay on and the rear wheel went over the strip but it was ok. I was a bit wobbly but then carried on to the office like I had meant to do that all along!

Old 07-16-08, 01:51 PM
Javan
More biking, less flying.

Bikes: Diamondback Citi, GT Timberline, Roady?

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ride home last night was tough. Headwind, Hot, Humid. Just bad!!!

Ride to work this AM was nicer! Cool, almost no wind, pleasant!
Old 07-16-08, 02:22 PM
GPSRanger
Outdoor Adventurer

Bikes: Mongoose XR-250

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Daily ride updates

So far, I've managed to ride in at least 3 days out of the week to/from work. The weather in Austin, Texas has generally been in the upper 70's in the mornings and 95-100 in the afternoons. I've actually had no problems riding the 10 miles each way in the heat! I have a CamelBak hydration pack and you can bet I'm sucking down that water the whole way! I will hit over 300 miles on my new Mongoose tomorrow so I'm pretty pumped about that! Rear dérailleur is starting to act up and doesn't shift from 2nd to 3rd very good so it's time to do a little maintenance on it! I notice more and more bikes on the road virtually everyday due to gas prices!

Keep the rubber side down!
Old 07-16-08, 03:30 PM
iwegian
Steel snob by accident

Bikes: Masi steel cross, Torelli steel roadie, Brew steel bmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i didn't work, but i commuted to my bank to put my check in. i had no idea how big the hills were until i did it by bike! at least there wasn't a head wind!
Old 07-16-08, 03:56 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Actually not such a pleasant ride home. 2 car loads of kids started harrassing me. One leaned out the window to throw something at me. I am almost sure I recognized him. Caught his plate number too, gonna stop by his house in a little bit and see if it was him. Anyway, they were so busy messing with me they almost rearened the car in front of him. The one behind me kept reving his engine and getting real close, high curbs and other cars i could not get off the road for a while. before that some dip shot in a pickup made a big deal out of yelling and flippin me off. he did not even have to slow down or change lanes. what the hell is wrong with people? I think this was the first day I have had problmes this year, but I will have forgotten it by tommorw morning. This is the second kinda hot day in this area this year, least the weather guy said it would be the second 90 degree day this year. think it is the heat that makes people stupid?
Old 07-16-08, 04:39 PM
pslotworks

Bikes: Fuji Ace , DBR XR4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride in the morning was good I actually took my time and just cruised in. It is amazing how quite the road is in the morning. The ride home was a little warm.

making, did you try to take bluff today?
Old 07-16-08, 04:42 PM
Matt1972
Fairweather Bike Commuter

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Satellite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride in was nice... There wasn't much traffic at all ( granted, it was 6 am when I was on the road...)
Riding home, I made good time. I passed two rollerbladers and one fenderbender. I found out my hydration pack isn't good for carrying a pair of work shoes. The zipper shat the bed... Rolling up to my mailbox, I found a 20% off coupon from Performance bike... The Arcangel Sheldon Brown smiled down at me
Old 07-16-08, 04:58 PM
77midget
me ride bike good

Bikes: Trek 4300; Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tonights ride was a bit of a gut check. Really had no energy to speak of, and it was hot/humid. My riding buddy was same way. We have been battling headwinds all week, and it makes for a hard ride if you are a bit drained. Was almost 5 minutes slower than normal for a 10 mile commute. But I made it. I think I need to eat a good meal tonight.
Old 07-16-08, 05:28 PM
larryfeltonj

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse, Peugeot Iseran, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got lazy on my return trip, and cut about two miles off my commute by taking the train to the Candler Park/Edgewood station (in Atlanta). It also gave me a chance to veg out and read for awhile. The ride itself was nice. My office (basically a glorified cubicle, but it has a really nice view to the east) was moved about a half mile northward recently, so I've been going through the fun of trying out new routes. On the return trip I took an alternate route past Grady Hospital. The only problem with that particular route is that I either have to ride illegally on a bus corridor, or get off my bike and push for a block. I try to set a good example, so I pushed. I'm going to time that route (which is more direct) against the alternate parallel streets.

All in all it was a good, though very hot, ride home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.