Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 08:00 PM
cruzMOKS
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my add on distance after work I had my first encounter with a dog. That is collision. I had about 3 seconds to decide what to do as the dog came out from behind a car on my right. I swerved to the left and my front wheel missed him but my right peddle slammed into the dogs rib cage. It turned tail and whimpered back to its yard. Thank God both my bike and I didn't sustain any injuries. About 3 blocks later I got off the bike and inspected it. Other than that it was a great day averaging 14 mph through many rollers.
Old 07-18-08, 08:42 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got home. It was a nice ride, although painful because this is the 2nd day commuting in a row.. and I usually skip a couple days (and ride the bus instead). I thought my leg muscles were going to kill me going up some slight inclines... I just had to ride again today though because i'm enjoying it so much.
Old 07-18-08, 10:10 PM
wez312

Bikes: 2015 Soma Wolverine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was great! First time I'd commuted the whole week due to being sick, looking forward to the weekend and commuting monday again
Old 07-18-08, 10:14 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Subway today, for spousal/parental reasons--but I rode out to the UPS depot in the Bronx and picked up my new Arkel Bug. (And then improvised a way home, which was way, way too long for this heat, even letting every kid with an open hydrant spray me with it.)
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 07-19-08, 12:00 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by making
You coulda been famous. was you in your car or bike?
My bike is my car.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 07-19-08, 12:21 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
Wet. Wet. Wet.

I love it.
Old 07-19-08, 01:59 AM
robinthehippie
that strange guy

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Nishiki Century (frame only for now), Costco mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel much better after a day off!!

It was a beautiful night to ride home, much cooler than it's been all week, little bit of a breeze, full moon... and best of all it was quiet when I got in to downtown. No police activity, no arguments or disturbances. Unfortunately I'm more awake right now than I was the last three hours of my shift.
Old 07-19-08, 06:02 AM
77midget
me ride bike good

Bikes: Trek 4300; Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was a hot ride home last night. I had full panniers and bag since I was taking home the week's clothes supplies from the office. Didn't break any speed records, but made it fine. Also, the home ride put me over 500 miles commuting so far.
Old 07-19-08, 07:32 PM
dngspot
Just another bum

Bikes: Giant FCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All week I have been dodging the rain. The heat and wind is tough but nothing I cannot deal with. Today I took a 13 mile ride to a local fish store and the temp was 94 deg. I can deal with that as I am from the desert area of Southern Cal. Now I am in Southern Kansas. Who said “I can take the heat, it's the sticky I hate." Our humidity is 66%, and this is a good day. South Eastern folk, my hat is off to you.
The first thing the guy at the fish store said was, " You dumb SOB, you road your bike."
His wife wanted to know how many calories I burned.
All a great day in Wichita.
Old 07-20-08, 06:21 AM
girljen
Nerd

Bikes: K2 T-9 Crosswind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather was perfect! Unfortunately, that means the ride home is going to be brutally hot. I'll have to start taking the street soon; it's staying darker later.
Old 07-20-08, 03:27 PM
Moskau
Evil Pony

Bikes: Trek 6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't make up my mind what I enjoy more, commuting in good weather or when it's cooler and cloudy. As long as the wind isn't too strong, being out on a bike is just great.

I came to work early and spent a few extra minutes at the gym squatting.
Old 07-20-08, 08:01 PM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by donnamb
I almost hit a jaywalker this morning. Turns out it was Ray Davies (of The Kinks). He darted out of the parking garage driveway of a hotel as I was rolling up pretty fast. Poor guy was rather startled. I'm glad I have good brakes.

Those rock n' rollers - what a bunch of scofflaws!
Pah! Thats nothin' I almost rammed Prince Charles in his Range Rover once!

Seriously, I'm also glad you have good brakes and the reactions to go with them.
Did you actually recognize him? I don't know I would, and I love their stuff.
I really like "Come Dancing" it's good music and the lyrics are hysterical!
Old 07-20-08, 08:08 PM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by coldfeet

Seriously, I'm also glad you have good brakes and the reactions to go with them.
Grrrrrrrrrr! This prompted me to go look up some stuff about him, and I found I missed a local show he did last Monday!
Old 07-20-08, 08:31 PM
girljen
Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coldfeet

I love you. I have had that song going through my head for weeks (literally!), but didn't know the title or the artist.

As for my commute...it was hot and slow. There was some good cloud cover, though...nothing like an overcast sky to improve my day. No glare, no sunburn, just warmth. On the downside, I think I tweaked something in my ankle. My achilles tendon would twinge and hurt on every downstroke. I think I'm doing something wrong. I hope so. I'll be more conscientious about where my feet go when I ride.
Old 07-20-08, 08:42 PM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by girljen
I love you. I have had that song going through my head for weeks (literally!), but didn't know the title or the artist.

You're welcome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3_m8yORGRk
Old 07-21-08, 05:36 AM
theWolf
Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Allez Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First commute into work today in a week and half due to knee pain. I took it pretty easy for most part, towards the end of my commute I could feel some knee pain again. I'll see how it feels on the way home today, if it feels like it's getting worse. I might have to take some more time off which would competely effin' suck.

Couple of first today, I divided my commute in halves: 9 miles by bus, 10 miles by bike versus what I was doing when I was hurt. 6 miles by truck, 9 miles by bus & 5 miles by light rail. I got here at the same exact time I normally would if I took the second option in. If my knee wasn't acting up, I'd woulda got here way faster.

Also I used my Dinotte 400L for the first time this morning on the road. I set it on the medium setting which seems to be enough. I had one guy coming up fast behind me & honk at me. The light ahead turned red as he passed me on the other lane. While at the light, I looked his way hoping to get some feedback. Did my light bother him or was he just an impatient cager? Dunno, dude wouldn't look at me. We get to the next light, dude won't look at me. The light really doesn't seem that bright on the medium setting so I'm guessing he was just upset a bike got in his way.

Oh and clean your bike, tune it & lube it up! It makes a huge difference.
Old 07-21-08, 05:49 AM
pueblonative

Bikes: Roadmaster 26 Men's Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, does anybody know exactly how to trigger those traffic lights so that you aren't either forced to wait there forever OR have to pull your bike over to the signal button and onto the sidewalk?
Old 07-21-08, 05:49 AM
cg1985
Goon

Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The commute home was really warm on friday, and I got a flat about halfway through the ride. It was the second flat this week and the 4th or 5th this month. It's a little frustration, but at least I am getting good with replacing the tube. Luckily, all the flats I have gotten have been on the way home from work, when I am not in a big hurry.

I replaced the tube because it was quicker, and then I patched the tube when I got home.

I did buy a new tube anyhow, I was on the way to the bike store anyway to order parts for my Handlebar/shifter conversion.

Today's ride was muggy. I haven't bought a jersey yet, and the shirt I wore today was not very breathable, I got pretty sweaty. I also feel like I rode slower today. I was passed by an older gentleman on a road bike, I didn't overtake him again, but I did stay right on his tail. just to keep him in line.
Old 07-21-08, 06:01 AM
mangosalsa
Soul filled with grease

Bikes: Early Surly XCheck;1960 Schwinn Speedster;1996 Giant CroMo Camper;1986 Fuji

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back on the road today after a hateful week of too much overtime and no riding. Lack of good sleep had me staring into space half the time. Hazy, humid morning, and it's supposed to be a hot one this afternoon for the ride home.
I will definitely get my sleep tonight.
Old 07-21-08, 06:11 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by pueblonative
BTW, does anybody know exactly how to trigger those traffic lights so that you aren't either forced to wait there forever OR have to pull your bike over to the signal button and onto the sidewalk?
Haven't tried it, but this claims to do the job..

https://www.thelightchanger.com/
Old 07-21-08, 07:01 AM
girljen
Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride in this morning was very mellow. I took the street, since the MUP is closed before sunrise. It's just barely too dark in the morning to take the path now.
Old 07-21-08, 07:51 AM
77midget
me ride bike good

Bikes: Trek 4300; Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, after going for almost 500 miles commuting before flatting for the first time on Friday morning, I flatted AGAIN this morning on the way in. This time, I was not fortunate to have it happen at walking distance to work, rather it was right at the 1/2 way point, and it was the rear tire, so it was a bit more of a pain. Culprit was a slither of glass that lanced right through to the tube. Was back on the road in about 10 minutes with my replacement tube, so I was happy for that.

Other than that, it was a good ride. A bit tired this morning since I rode last night for a bit.
Old 07-21-08, 07:55 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Finally something worthwhile to post about.

Lady riding a road bike with bibs on the outside of her jersey. Ack!

Anyhow, good morning commute as usual. Broke out the headlight. It is barely getting light when I leave for the light rail.
Old 07-21-08, 08:05 AM
Moskau
Evil Pony

Bikes: Trek 6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was raining loads on the way home from work this morning. I slept in at work and had half a banana before the ride. I wasn't fast, but I actually did enjoy it. Wet and wild!

I can feel yesterday's squats though. The stairs here at home are a killer.
Old 07-21-08, 08:20 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warm and calm, traffic was reasonable and my legs weren't sore! I should have kept riding past my building...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.