Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-08, 07:29 PM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
wonderful today

almost killed twice only
Old 08-14-08, 07:43 PM
StokerPoker

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noteon
I'll try to forget I heard about this maneuver, since my trailer has humans in it.

I rode out to Closter this morning--about halfway to Nyack--and saw an old friend. The left turn off 9W down Closter Dock Road is the best hill I've ever ridden down. Between that, the sore legs from the last three days of bike shenanigans, and the 4 hours of sleep last night, it was nice that I have a folding bike small enough for the friend to drive me back up to the main highway in the afternoon.
Mine is for cargo only so I can be a little more stupid with it. a few hours before that I bent the axle hauling a filing cabinet. the parking block actually fixed it a little bit
Old 08-14-08, 08:46 PM
gbcb
J3L 2404

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good God, just let it be winter already...
Old 08-15-08, 05:00 AM
gpc
Senior Lurker

Bikes: Trek 7100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather in Chicagoland has been perfect this week! Add to that yesterday that I caught every light makes it an absolute perfect day. And to top it all off, the wife and I rode the bikes to a restaurant for dinner. Bliss.

I hope today's commute is as good as yesterday. They should all be that good.
Old 08-15-08, 05:35 AM
Big_e
Strong with the Fred

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice little ride in the rain. Got up to find that it is really pouring rain with lightning. Made last minute adjustments and placed the contents of my messenger bag in plastic bags. Didn't know how weatherproof my new messenger bag was and didn't want to have a wet change of clothes when I got to work. I don't mind riding in the rain, actually love it but didn't care to be in wet/damp clothes all day. All turned out well. My bag is pretty much rainproof and I'm now sitting at my desk in comfy dry clothes.
Ernest
Old 08-15-08, 05:48 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice morning for a ride. High-50s. No wind. Didn't see many cyclists but I caught up to a couple riding matching bikes wearing matching gear. Aaawww. Waited to pass another young woman until we got around a town lawn mower cutting grass next to the MUP. Spooled back up and enjoyed the rest of the ride.

Oh, also, today was bacon day. First, I smelled bacon as I was riding by the campground next to the MUP. Then I smelled it being cooked by a restaurant near where I work. I probably don't have to tell you folks how good bacon smells when you're zipping along on your bicycles.

Last edited by vtjim; 08-15-08 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-15-08, 06:31 AM
cg1985
Goon

Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yesterday It was really sunny on the way home, big billowy clouds, but none looked like rain clouds, yet, it was sprinkling, the whole way home. I envisioned it was some alien experiment, dropping chemicals on us to see if we'd mutate into super-monsters. It was unsuccessful.

This morning, I felt ill, and tired, but I told myself "shut up and ride" so I got on the bike and made it to work. Feel pretty good. Forgot my underwear. jeebus.
Old 08-15-08, 06:47 AM
ban guzzi
circus bear

Bikes: 97(?) GT Richochet, 00 Schwinn SuperSport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no over heating this morning! Riding in the rain is one of my favorite things, ever. Didn't see the usual commuters this morning...Really nice actually.

lack of sleep from all the thunder but cheerful from the soaking ride in...
Old 08-15-08, 06:48 AM
ban guzzi
circus bear

Bikes: 97(?) GT Richochet, 00 Schwinn SuperSport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cg1985
Forgot my underwear. jeebus.
Secret Commando Day!!
Old 08-15-08, 06:53 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Forgot my belt. Had to use my emergency backup I keep at work.

My bands:
Old 08-15-08, 07:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Really really good. It's my last of the season. I really felt the difference with a good rear wheel ... finally! I had bought a bogus used one, but had a shop rebuild a new axle while at work yesterday. The ride home was good but in the am I am fresh and stronger I guess and the new wheel just made me even faster! WooHoo! This finishes my first full 5 day work week and by time I get home it will be 170 miles for the week.

My butt hurts a little and my knees will appreciate a few days off. Looking forward to some weekend fall rides WITHOUT TRAFFIC!

See ya guys (& gals)!
Old 08-15-08, 07:22 AM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Only ride this week, but it was great. Made the first two green lights this morning. Had one fail: the light at Big Lake and Pass Road has an induction coil that, I found out this morning, does not pick up a bicycle, even with both wheels over the wire; need to contact the city about that. Light traffic, but warm (75°) and very humid (92%); glasses were fogged up most of the ride.
Old 08-15-08, 08:04 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
First rainy ride in sometime. Thank goodness this does not happen often around here. It was a nice change of pace.
The cherry creek bike path was flooding as usual and I had to exit it to the street above (speer blvd). Crossing a sidewalk and ran into an expansion joint. Felt my bike starting to bounce around a bit and hopped off as it started to go down. Ended up standing next to it in the street. Bike crashed but its rider did not.
Rode through water up to the middle of my wheel.
Drenched would be the word of the day.
Old 08-15-08, 08:26 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
the sun was out this morning so that made for a beautiful ride...stopped in at the bagel shop on the way to work too which is always a treat...had to listen to a squeaky chain this morning, the ice wax i use doesn't seem to last very long, seems that you have to apply it after every ride...any good lube i should look for?

Old 08-15-08, 08:49 AM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantstic. A week and a half ago I bought a new fixed gear for 700 dollars, I rode the 20 minutes home from the bike shop and by the time I got home I was in a world of pain. Back hurt, knees were screaming in pain, neck was sore, hands were numb from too much weight on my hands. Rode out the next day, same deal, and I'm starting to think I'd bought a bike too hastily and ended up with one that didn't fit me at all. 700 bucks on a bike that was pretty much useless... I'm starting to get a little freaked.

Over the next week I made a few changes, flipped the stem so it wasn't as big a drop to the handlebars from the saddle, adjusted the sadle height, adjusted the saddle rails and changed out the gearing. For the past few days the bike has been incredible. No soreness, fast, responsive and totally comfortable. This morning ended up being one of my quickest most comfortable commutes yet and a total pleasure now that my bike is dialed in how I like it.

So yeah, the commute was fantastic
Old 08-15-08, 09:05 AM
CeliacChris
Chris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello! Did my first bike ride in 10 years and first commute this morning after my 5 mile run. 4.8 miles with my garmin (so I can see later pacing and elevation) in 25 minutes. I had to walk my bike up one hill, and there is a killer one that starts my commute home I'm hoping to make halfway before I walk. My goal is no walking by Christmas.

I'm a little saddle sore, but not bad.

Chris
Old 08-15-08, 09:29 AM
MyPC8MyBrain
Shut Up and Ride

Bikes: Cannondale t-700 [commuter], Cannondale MT-800 [Tandem so the Lil Misses can keep up], GT I drive Team [My tricked out Racer MTB]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Streets were wet and messy this morning from overnight storms. Cooler temps this morning. Wore my shell on the way in for the first time in a long time.

I have a bike with fenders on order. Spray coming off the wheels sucks. It's not only wet , it has the bonus effect of being dirty.

Reflected on the fact that winter riding is just around the corner. It always seems to snow at least once in September.

Sigh...
Old 08-15-08, 09:39 AM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MyPC8MyBrain
Streets were wet and messy this morning from overnight storms. Cooler temps this morning. Wore my shell on the way in for the first time in a long time.

I have a bike with fenders on order. Spray coming off the wheels sucks. It's not only wet , it has the bonus effect of being dirty.

Reflected on the fact that winter riding is just around the corner. It always seems to snow at least once in September.

Sigh...
I hear ya. We had a wet start for the week here on the Gulf Coast Riviera. I'm glad I finally sold my Harley. A little over half the money is going into savings; the rest goes to build Fredkenstein; the SKS fenders I have spec'd will come in very handy later this year.
Old 08-15-08, 09:58 AM
rockcampbell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Time Commute Today

I had a great ride in today, it will be even better once I get myself in a little better shape. The weather was perfect too, a little overcast and cool.
Old 08-15-08, 10:13 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Sunny hot. Too hazy for Rainier though, unfortunately.
Old 08-15-08, 10:16 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got caught in a downpour on the way home yesterday. It started near the rugby fields but I was able to make it to cover just before the really heavy stuff came in. I hunkered down underneath the bridge, near the airport, and stayed nice and dry while the worst of it passed. I don't mind the rain (downpour in this case) it's the lightening that worries me. As it turned out, I stayed nice and dry while the storm whipped overhead. Once it passed to our East, I got back on the trail none the worse for wear. The funny thing is that it was kinda cozy, just wish I'd brought a snack and something to read-could have taken a nap too.
Old 08-15-08, 10:24 AM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's been a nice couple of weeks, no rain, starting to get a little nippy in the morning, along with the low sun, Winters coming! Warm to hot going home, ( gonna be a scorcher this evening and weekend ) Wildlife all over the place, Pheasant, Coyote, Hawk, Eagles, ( 3 times ) Deer, ( 3 times! ) Lots of bikes on the paths, quite a few on the roads. Has been intense at work this week, so homeward commute has been slow to almost stopped! No worries, no urgent needs to get home, so, it takes longer to get there <shrug> Rear shifter finally quit this AM, now to change it, the brake lever, the cantis for disc, which means changing the fork and wheel, also new fender, so while I'm doing that, I'll put the higher bars on.........

I think I just committed to changing the whole front end?
Old 08-15-08, 02:22 PM
Steve_Reno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, amazing, instead of going the direct 4.7 miles I did 15.6 up in the hills and the back side of Reno and then on to work. And 16.5 mph average.

My biggest day so far since resuming biking in May after almost 40 years of no bike. Yay!
Old 08-15-08, 04:50 PM
vestarita
Small Gal On a Small Bike

Bikes: 2008 Dahon Mariner D7, 1992 Cannondale T600, 1989 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started commuting last week and today was the first day I've seen some fellow cyclists going my way. Two waited with me at a crosswalk and one guy on a road bike actually continued on down the same route I take to get home. I stayed behind him a bit and pushed myself to keep up this pace, so I felt a real sense of accomplishment when I was able to conquer a hill I usually have to stop at the side of to catch my breath. I think I get myself worked up on this particular hill because there's barely any shoulder to speak of, and there's no bike lane, and I'm still building up my hill-climbing legs and it intimidates me when cars go whooshing past me when I feel like I'm climbing at a snail's pace and it stresses me out. While following this guy I was huffing and puffing the whole way up, but afterward when my breathing calmed down I felt like I could breathe more deeply. That's a great feeling.
Old 08-15-08, 04:51 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Man, did I get caught in some thunderstorms today riding home from work. I have been pretty lucky avoiding the rain all summer long, largely due to the ongoing drought in the Southeast. However, there have been a lot of scattered t-storms that I had somehow managed to miss until today. Lots of lightning and heavy downpours, and I was soaked like a wet rat when I got home. Of course the rain stopped as soon as I got home and the sun was out 15 minutes later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.