Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

fall/winter commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

fall/winter commute

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-08, 04:26 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
fall/winter commute

Ahhhh, i really hate to bring it up. In a way. These 85-90 degree commutes home are getting kinda old, the last one was Thursday. But mornings have been wonderful. I finally went out a bought a rechargeable light, a night rider that seems crazy bright, easy to install and easy to recharge. I just hope it is dependable. Starting to get ready for the fall.

I usually train for the mini during the winter here in Indy and run down to less than 10 degrees, so I am not really a cold, bad weather weenie. Jogging and cold the problem is usually over dressing and i have learned over the years to be pretty comfortable while running. The bicycle is completley different. After a mile I am warm while jogging, on my bike at 20 mph I am freezing. Somewhere around 6 miles out I start to warm up, and that is in the 50's. My commute is 14 miles and I will probably add a few. How do you guys dress? I have long black bicycle pants that are tight down to the ankles. I have a light, high vis jacket, warm bicycle glove shells that go under your other gloves. Any of you layer your running gear over bicycle shorts. Can you keep sweats out of your chain? any inexpensive tips. frostbite probably is unpleasant.

I hope to ride till there is ice on the roads.
Old 08-30-08, 04:49 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I dress the way I dress off the bike. As summer turns to fall, I'll wear jeans more, switch from shorts and sandals to socks and shoes. When it gets too cold for riding gloves, I'll switch to regular gloves. For the head, I'll try hats, and if those don't work under the helmet, I'll buy a winter one. Above the waist, I'll wear shirts, sweaters, jackets, and when cold enough, my winter coat. It doesn't have to be complicated. I plan to ride year-round.
Old 08-30-08, 05:59 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
In coldest weather I'm wearing bike shorts, tights, and a pair of cheap nylon lined running pants, then up top a compression top, a poly sweatshirt, and a vented rain jacket, and a balaclava. Cheap $10 windproof breathable gloves. wool socks and hunting boots. That's what I wear from about 0*F down to as cold as I've ever run, which is -25*F.

I consider 50*F borderline where I MIGHT put on some thin running tights, but probably not, I'll just have lycra shorts on. Up top I'll have a compression top and a short sleeve poly top. That's about it or I'll get overheated.

I generally don't put on the rain jacket until it gets down in the 30s or I'll be sweating bullets. I switch out my SPD shoes for platforms and hunting boots at about 0*F.

I'm only cold for about 5 minutes. When I exercise, I sweat, regardless of how lightly I dress. If I dress too lightly, I wind up sweating and freezing at the same time. I think my sweat glands respond to core temp rather than skin temp, because I get to work with my skin very cold and covered with sweat. Still no frostbite though.
Old 08-30-08, 06:06 PM
making
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
In coldest weather I'm wearing bike shorts, tights, and a pair of cheap nylon lined running pants, then up top a compression top, a poly sweatshirt, and a vented rain jacket, and a balaclava. Cheap $10 windproof breathable gloves. wool socks and hunting boots. That's what I wear from about 0*F down to as cold as I've ever run, which is -25*F.

I consider 50*F borderline where I MIGHT put on some thin running tights, but probably not, I'll just have lycra shorts on. Up top I'll have a compression top and a short sleeve poly top. That's about it or I'll get overheated.

I generally don't put on the rain jacket until it gets down in the 30s or I'll be sweating bullets. I switch out my SPD shoes for platforms and hunting boots at about 0*F.

I'm only cold for about 5 minutes. When I exercise, I sweat, regardless of how lightly I dress. If I dress too lightly, I wind up sweating and freezing at the same time. I think my sweat glands respond to core temp rather than skin temp, because I get to work with my skin very cold and covered with sweat. Still no frostbite though.

Thanks. I thought running at 0 degrees was something.
Old 08-30-08, 06:41 PM
cbass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in New England and commute year-round unless there is heavy icing. The cold isn't too bad, but the darkness is. The best piece of equipment that I own for winter commuting is a generator headlight.

As for clothing, I have a short commute (10 miles R/T) and I simply wear my business casual office attire. If it's really cold I wear REI storm pants over my khakis. On top, I use a fleece jacket with a with a removable wind shell outer layer. Any sweat gets trapped between the fleece jacket and the shell. Pit zips are nice to have on days when it's 15 degrees in the morning and 35 degrees on the way home.

I also make use of a skull cap under my helmet and a windproof helmet cover. I use 2-layer ski gloves on most days and mittens when it's very cold (I have a coaster brake so no brake levers to handle).

Winter commuting is fun. People at my office think I'm crazy but it's easier than it looks.
Old 08-30-08, 07:02 PM
bjornb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah it's coming...that being the rain, the cold, the rain, the rain, and once and a while the snow. I am all excited with plans to build a MTB SS commuter with studs. Going to look for an old rigid Kona. I like the fall over the summer because it's less sweaty actually.
Old 08-30-08, 07:04 PM
making
Super Moderator

I jsut looked at the weather next week. High in the 90 till Wednesday or Thursday.
Old 08-30-08, 07:07 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bjornb
I like the fall over the summer because it's less sweaty actually.
I'm looking forward to when the daytime high is capped at 70 degrees; I don't ride in 80+ degree weather, which means I'm indoors for much of summer.
Old 08-30-08, 07:48 PM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Bikes: Waterford 2200, Litespeed Tuscany, Salsa La Cruz, Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjornb
Yeah it's coming...that being the rain, the cold, the rain, the rain, and once and a while the snow. I am all excited with plans to build a MTB SS commuter with studs. Going to look for an old rigid Kona. I like the fall over the summer because it's less sweaty actually.
Good call. I've got a mid 90's Fire Mountain that was great thru a terrible winter in PHL. I had a terrible crash on some ice, but that's b/c I was too lazy and stubborn to change from slicks to knobs.

I like cold better than hot on a bike.
Old 08-30-08, 08:56 PM
bikinpolitico
Bicycle Utopian

Bikes: Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Softride Qualifier, Ritchey Breakaway Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is this thing you call winter?
Old 08-30-08, 10:33 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've not worn anything heavier than a wind breaker for two years... including riding down to -5F. (12.5 miles)

The key is in the proper layers... I have a couple underarmor clone shirts I use for a base layer, a t-shirt on top of that, sweatshirt if it's REALLY cold, a zipper hoodie, and a wind breaker... mix and match for conditions.

for pants I have a pair of thermal underwear, sweats, and jeans... and the matching wind-resistant pants to go with the wind breaker if it's really cold, raining, or snowing.

for my hands I just used a pair of light weight waterproof hunting gloves from Walmart... cost me all of $10.

For my feet I wear a pair of waterproof Brahma boots, with 1 or 2 pairs of socks.

Mostly it just takes some experimenting to get the layers right for existing temps/conditions.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 08-30-08, 11:00 PM
robinthehippie
that strange guy

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Nishiki Century (frame only for now), Costco mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was comfortable last winter in mostly off-the-bike clothing... I'd wear a thermal shirt with a t-shirt over it, then a sweatshirt, then a windbreaker. Add a hoodie when it was extremely cold. I wore the same kind of pants I wear to work, heavy cargo pants, and thermal underwear on the coldest days. Double socks, waterproof gloves, and the most important thing was a balaclava to keep my ears from hurting.

I go a bit slower when it's cold to keep the wind chill down. It took some experimenting to learn how hard to work on the climbs to keep myself warm but not so sweaty that I'd end up wet and cold.
Old 08-31-08, 04:58 AM
bobfischer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wool

I have a couple of Icebreaker wool shirts (2 different thicknesses) that I use under a cycling jersey. Somehow Icebreaker manages to limit the wet-wool smell you get with some wool jerseys. Two wool shirts under a jersey works at 32 degrees for me.

I machine wash the wool shirts, but air dry them on a three-tier rack I bought at Target. I have a big fan in my laundry room I turn on if I don't have the time to wait for the normal drying cycle. In the winter, the drying rack lives near the wood stove.
Old 08-31-08, 05:12 AM
pueblonative

Bikes: Roadmaster 26 Men's Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This upcoming winter is going to be the first winter where I actually bike so it's going to be interesting. Combined with the fact that I'll be doubling my commute (from R/T 6 to 12 miles) it should be fun. Winters don't get that extreme here but we shall see.
Old 08-31-08, 07:03 AM
riddei
Needing more power Scotty

Bikes: 2006 Trek T-80 (commuter) 1982 Bianchi SS (classic 12 speed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, Just layer synthetic fabrics. I ride year round in Maine. Building a better lighting system right now. Dynohub light to replace the sidewall generator. Can't wait to see the brightness of the IQ-Fly!

I love the challenge of winter riding.
Old 08-31-08, 11:02 AM
Kenay

Bikes: Trek 1.2 2008, and Specialized Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the topic of winter riding--How do you guys deal with wind?
It has been really windy here lately, and I have found it hard to stay stable. I just slowed down a lot. Anyone have special ways of dealing with the wind or dressing for it?

--Oh and I found you can keep sweat pants off of the chain by investing in a pack of rubber bands. Works pretty well for me.
Old 08-31-08, 07:27 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
I am looking forward to the lower temps. From 38 to 55 degrees I wear a hoodie or light jacket over two regular shirts. 10 to 37 degrees I wear my regular winter coat with hat and gloves. I try to avoid riding in single digit temperatures, but if I have to I bust out the arctic coat with an extra set of gloves and a balaclava.

I don't. I hate it. I curse it and continue to pedal on.
Old 08-31-08, 08:00 PM
kccommuter

Bikes: '10 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This guy in Chicago wrote this...

Some good practical advice

https://commutebybike.com/2006/11/01/...-cold-weather/

Good luck
Old 08-31-08, 08:26 PM
robinthehippie
that strange guy

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Nishiki Century (frame only for now), Costco mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenay
I tell myself that occasionally it will be at my back. Unfortunately, I got to know the weather pattern well enough to realize that was a rare occurence. I just plan some extra time in to my ride and get psyched up to ride hard. As for getting blown around, I stay off high-traffic streets, the only time I've lost my balance and had to hop off the bike was being passed (close!) by a big pickup truck.
Old 08-31-08, 10:16 PM
goalieMN
Got Scotch?

Bikes: QR Kilo, Specialized Crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenay
It has been really windy here lately, and I have found it hard to stay stable. I just slowed down a lot. Anyone have special ways of dealing with the wind or dressing for it?

--Oh and I found you can keep sweat pants off of the chain by investing in a pack of rubber bands. Works pretty well for me.
I wear a snowboard helmet, ski-goggles, and a baclava for the wind here in Minnesota when it is below freezing. As for staying stable, just get stronger legs.

Old 08-31-08, 10:29 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wear wrap around sunglasses (clear lenses in the dark) down to about 5F. Not very comfy. I think I will try goggles this year.
Anyhow, I have had issues with baclavas and use a skiing face mask \ kneck warmer and a wool cycling cap instead.
The winds definitely pick up during winter. That and wearing a jacket at the same time gives you more of a workout.
Old 08-31-08, 11:37 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What is this thing you call Summer?
Old 09-01-08, 12:08 AM
Industrial
^_^

Bikes: Cannondale System Six, Specialized FSR-XC, Specialized Langster, Univega Arrow Spot, Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a set of shimano spd boots for this winter. I'm ready for winter but still totally not looking forward to it.
Old 09-01-08, 01:37 PM
Kenay

Bikes: Trek 1.2 2008, and Specialized Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I still dont know how much winter riding I will be doing. I hope to just stop using the rtarded car as much. Oregon is supposed to have mild winters anyway.