Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 06:45 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Either my legs are getting stronger, or I must be having a 'good day', because it felt effortless.
Old 09-24-08, 06:51 AM
FredOak
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saw two fully equipped folks going the other way today, I don't think anyone bikes towards downtown, they all seem to be going the other way?

Not a bad ride, about 50 out.

They are paving the lot where the bike racks are today so I walked in with my bike to ask security where they wanted me to lock it up. Should have seen the guys eyes bulge when I came in with the bike, he was just about to say that isn't allowed in here....like I'm coming in with a something dangerous.
Old 09-24-08, 07:18 AM
death m3tal

Bikes: Trek 4300 (2006) MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raised the saddle a little bit more and immediately felt the difference. Up until I read the "raise your saddle" thread over the weekend, I thought I had mine high enough. I think I can go up a tad bit more and I will do so on my trip home this afternoon. I think raising the saddle helped me earn my best time yet. 11 miles - 53 minutes. I know that probably is slow for most of you, but it was 10 minutes faster than my previous best time. Actually, I did hit a lot of green lights today, so that helped.
Old 09-24-08, 07:31 AM
jgrendel
Don't be that guy

Bikes: 1988 Peugeot Bordeaux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice day! Got a bit of a late start because my wife and I had to hit the local green building supply store. Checking out Marmoleum and PaperStone for our kitchen renovation. Mmmm... PaperStone... *drool*

Editors note: buying a house is extremely likely to drive a normal, healthy adult completely nutso. See evidence above.

Anyway. Ride was fine; less traffic than I expected at 8-8:30. I wore too much clothing and had to strip down a little way from home.
Old 09-24-08, 08:04 AM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hit a new speed record last night. 69.19kph (downhill + tailwind + 130rpm).

Saw the other 50th street commuter this morning, hadn't seen them in awhile so that was good.
Old 09-24-08, 08:07 AM
starla
my nose itches

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2013 Redline Conquest Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a blonde moment last night and thought if I charged the battery again, it would miraculously hold a charge. So once again I could not leave until it was light out. I made record time though. 6.1 miles in about 22 minutes, which on my MTB is pretty damned good.

Time to order a new light. Can't ride in the mornings again until I get it.
Old 09-24-08, 08:10 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The UN GA has traffic snarled. Had to go a few blocks out of my way to get a downtown street that wasn't totally backed up and it was still slow going. Why can't all these delegates take the bus to the UN like everyone else? It's not like anyone knows who they are.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 09-24-08, 08:53 AM
JoeSoMD
Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a huge tail wind going home last night, and a huge tail wind coming in this morning! WooHoo!
Old 09-24-08, 09:25 AM
joshdavis
Live to ride,ride to live

Bikes: Schwinn Prelude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First commute today, it was nice. Great weather, traffic was minimal. The last 2 miles of the route in takes me down our greenway system. Looking forward to doing it again tomorrow
Old 09-24-08, 09:26 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two riders came flying by us just as we got onto Prospect today. I gave my wife the signal to pursue, but it was no fun. One of them was on a skinny-tire mtn bike and the other was on a Colnago CX with knobbies. No blinkies and minimal reflective gear, of course. 5 pedal strokes was all it took to catch them. I coasted to keep from rubbing tires, and got a couple of funny looks due to my obnoxiously loud freewheel. They blew the 4-way stop, then slowed a little for the turn onto 8 St. We coasted down the hill and I somehow passed one of them. At the bottom, they wiggled their way up to the front of the line of cars. My wife saw this and said "Scofflaws!". I got a good chuckle out of that one.

The temperature was -2C this morning, which meant I could wear the classic mittens and shorts combo...
Old 09-24-08, 09:45 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Crazy weather in NC this week (and last). A northeaster is sitting off the coast, and cool NE winds have been blowing here for the past week. Yesterday there were 20 mph sustained winds and gusts up to 30 mph, and it's supposed to be even windier today. That made for an easy ride to work this morning as my morning commute is generally heading south. Too bad I got caught by every red light along the way, or I would have made great time.
Old 09-24-08, 09:47 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by joshdavis
First commute today, it was nice. Great weather, traffic was minimal. The last 2 miles of the route in takes me down our greenway system. Looking forward to doing it again tomorrow
Congrats on your first commute. I just did my first last week and have been loving the experience.
Old 09-24-08, 09:54 AM
joshdavis
Live to ride,ride to live

Bikes: Schwinn Prelude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthFLpix
Congrats on your first commute. I just did my first last week and have been loving the experience.
It was a blast. i learned a little bit. I need a better bag. I only have a my road bike, so no plans to add a bunch of bags. I'm still having to drive two days a week. Thats when I bring all my clothing and toiletries to clean up with.
Old 09-24-08, 09:55 AM
mccook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost hit a deer this morning. I came within a foot of the thing. I got very lucky.
Old 09-24-08, 10:01 AM
TheLifeOfBryan
down in the drops

Bikes: Miele Doral, Bianchi Boardwalk, Cannondale R300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Crazy weather in NC this week (and last). A northeaster is sitting off the coast, and cool NE winds have been blowing here for the past week. Yesterday there were 20 mph sustained winds and gusts up to 30 mph
I'm getting that down here, too. Except I ride north to work... it's killing me in the mornings, but going home is a blast!
Old 09-24-08, 10:16 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Nice and sunny. Made several lights I usually don't. Woohoo!
Old 09-24-08, 10:46 AM
daddybiker
Seasoned biker

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, 27 speed, red/silver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3rd day this week commuting to work (23 mile round trip) and 60th for this season. Another cool and spectacular commute this morning. Generated speeds in the low to mid 20s. Normally takes me 25 mins by car and only an additional 10-15 mins by bike. I'm already lamenting the day where snow will end this season.
Old 09-24-08, 11:35 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Crazy weather in NC this week (and last). A northeaster is sitting off the coast, and cool NE winds have been blowing here for the past week. Yesterday there were 20 mph sustained winds and gusts up to 30 mph, and it's supposed to be even windier today. That made for an easy ride to work this morning as my morning commute is generally heading south. Too bad I got caught by every red light along the way, or I would have made great time.

The problem is, the winds don't really kick up until the afternoon - so I got very little boost on my ride south this morning, but the ride north going home will be hell this afternoon.

I'll probably take the back way home today. a 30-40mph headwind will likely slow me to the point that I won't want to deal with arterial traffic.
Old 09-24-08, 11:45 AM
jterribili

Bikes: Kobe Chapparal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
The problem is, the winds don't really kick up until the afternoon - so I got very little boost on my ride south this morning, but the ride north going home will be hell this afternoon.

I'll probably take the back way home today. a 30-40mph headwind will likely slow me to the point that I won't want to deal with arterial traffic.
yeah, yesterday leaving downtown was killer - the wind whipping through the streets and even once I got out of dtown, it was still bad - headed north of course like you said, won't be any better today

glad I finally got my Forte Campus pedals back from Performance so I am not riding in this wind with the crappy stock pedals - had to use them for almost 3 weeks and they were driving me absolutely nuts
Old 09-24-08, 11:46 AM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey all,

Long time posting here, my commute is only 1.5miles these days so not much to write about. No car doors this morning so my commute was a success...yay.
Old 09-24-08, 12:03 PM
ClintP

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Globe City 7.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I officially a cyclist? I rode down the busy main street on my bike to go grab some taco bueno. I mean I braved the lunch hour traffic and lived to tell the tale.
Old 09-24-08, 12:06 PM
djwid
Raptobike Rider

Bikes: Raptobike Lowracer, Redline Conquest CX, Cruzbike Vendetta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a year of slacking off and not cycling commuting I commuted today by trike. I have a new route to work which really made the difference. It is a short commute but 90% of it is uphill and my new x-large body resists it.

I am pretty happy and the ride went well.
2015 Cruzbike Vendetta
2009 Raptobike Lowracer #0067
My blog
My bike pictures
Old 09-24-08, 01:04 PM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mccook
Almost hit a deer this morning. I came within a foot of the thing. I got very lucky.
A few guys actually did hit one during one of the morning group rides. A few guys went to the Hospital...ribs...hands...face all banged up.

Last edited by FormerBMX'er; 09-24-08 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-24-08, 01:15 PM
Ka_Jun
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost got tagged by a d-bag in a new pick-up...didn't even deccelerate.
Old 09-24-08, 02:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Rode to preschool this morning with my daughter on the new (to us) trail-a-bike and my son on his little bmx. We take a very mellow route. Unfortunately, it means a lot of stop signs, but work has slowed down so I'm not stressed about getting to the office early. The weather is cool and clear, and we look for trucks and light-rail trains and count the streets.

Really, really, really nice way to start the day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.